Locating Parity errors

1 hour ago, pengrus said:

Thanks @itimpi.

Perhaps I was mistaken, I thought there was some way with P+Q parity to be able to find out where the corruption (or not) was.  Is this not the case?

-P

No. That would be mathematically impossible with just P+Q parity alone. Parity correction only applies to a (or two) self-identifying failure(s) i.e. you have to know in advance which block (in Unraid case, disk) fails.

So a parity error can only tells you there is a failure and you have to go identify it yourself.

You might be confusing Unraid parity with RAID + checksum filesystems (e.g. ZFS / BTRFS). So for ZFS / BTRFS, a scrub not only verifies parity but also the checksum of the blocks.

So if there's a parity error, it would rely on the checksum to identify the wrong block (actually I think it works the other way round i.e. it identify checksum error on a block and rebuild parity that depends on that block).

A way to accomplish what ZFS / BTRFS RAID do is to have array disks use BTRFS file systems (instead of XFS). That way when you have parity error, you can just run a scrub and find out which disk has the error and if it's serious you can then rebuild the disk.

8 hours ago, pengrus said:

I thought there was some way with P+Q parity to be able to find out where the corruption (or not) was.  Is this not the case?

There could be a way but it's not implemented since if there is corruption on multiple devices you would end up corrupting more disks, more info here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46170-unraid-server-release-620-beta20-available/page/10/?tab=comments#comment-456693

• 2 months later...

Thank you all for your responses, I really appreciate it.  Not trying to resurrect a dead thread here, but what would cause 7 parity errors to be found on every subsequent parity check?  Ever since this happened, every monthly check has returned 7 errors.  I am set to correct parity errors during a check, btw, and have been up for 65 days, the reboot was intentional and orderly.  Diagnostics attached, thanks!

-P

tower-diagnostics-20201102-1843.zip