700k parity errors

Hi,

My server had a problem booting up last week (the CPU fan wasn't spinning).  I had a second machine being used as a PC so swapped all the drives into that and it booted up fine into unraid and everything seemed good.

A parity check has now completed and its come back with over 700k errors.  This was a scheduled check with had "Write corrections to parity disk" set to "yes".  I'm now thinking that was a mistake...

I've kicked off a second check (which won't write corrections).  Attached are the diagnostics.

Advice appreciated...

ridcully-diagnostics-20200806-0802.zip

If next check finds 0 errors likely parity wasn't valid before, if it finds more then you likely have a hardware issue, like bad RAM.

56 minutes ago, upthetoon said:

This was a scheduled check with had "Write corrections to parity disk" set to "yes"

We recommend setting scheduled checks to non correct.

39 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

If next check finds 0 errors likely parity wasn't valid before, if it finds more then you likely have a hardware issue, like bad RAM.

We recommend setting scheduled checks to non correct.

Yes, I've changed that setting now, thanks.  Not sure why I had it like that in the first place.

25% through, no errors found on this new run...

Last check completed on Fri 07 Aug 2020 08:24:00 AM BST (today), finding 0 errors.
Duration: 1 day, 10 hours, 53 minutes, 4 seconds. Average speed: 111.5 MB/sec

Looks like parity wasn't valid.  That's a slight worry, not sure how that happened.  Better than a hardware problem though...

• Like 1