[SOLVED] Mixing SAS and SATA Drives

Hello...

I have a little issue that I have...

Currently I have 9 SATA drives and 3 SSD SATA drives using LSI SAS2116...

I would like to add SAS drives... Problem is that they are not coming up in unraid... 

I have tried...

2 sas 2 sata on the same serial cable

2 sas on it's own serial cable

2 sas on a completely separate sas controller 3ware 9650SE SATA-II RAID PCIe (rev 01) (untested in unraid) 

I have not gone into the setting for the controllers as of yet... 

so my questions are... 

Is there a setting that I need to change in the controllers to enable SAS drives?

can you mix and match SAS SATA on the same contoller?

3ware controller is failing to initialize:

Aug  6 10:13:47 Tower kernel: 3w-9xxx: scsi1: ERROR: (0x06:0x000E): Controller Queue Error: clearing.
Aug  6 10:13:47 Tower kernel: 3w-9xxx: scsi1: ERROR: (0x06:0x0015): No valid response during init connection.
Aug  6 10:13:47 Tower kernel: 3w-9xxx: scsi1: ERROR: (0x06:0x0007): Initconnection failed while checking SRL.
Aug  6 10:13:47 Tower kernel: 3w-9xxx: scsi1: ERROR: (0x06:0x0021): Compatibility check failed during reset sequence.
Aug  6 10:13:47 Tower kernel: 3w-9xxx: probe of 0000:06:00.0 failed with error -12

Don't see any SAS device on the LSI, if there's no SAS devices connected there connect at least one and post new diags.

at the time of the diag report... the SAS drives were connected the the LSI... 

which would suggest that perhaps I have a connectivity issue... I will recheck the physical connections... on a side note... I am using the following adapters for the drives...

chenyang CY SATA Hard Disk Drive Raid Adapter with 15 Pin Power Port 7 Pin + 15 Pin to SFF-8482 SAS 22 Pin Converter

im 90% sure that they are spinning up... (not a strong feel that I get from my other drives but still a vibration of it starting)

In this Diag... I connected them to a known good serial cable that's also connected to the two 5tb drives...

If I can make any sense of the logs... I would expect the drive to be sd 11:0:9:0 

I guess the next thing to try is to pull the drives and test them in a different box?

tower-diagnostics-20200806-1256.zip

Ended up finding out what the issue was... 

this video explains it all... 

https://youtu.be/fnISM_LMuss

but in short... these sas drives are designed in a way that when they are receiving power on the 3rd pin the drive understands this as power off... that's why unraid was never able to see the drive... and the drives never spun up like I thought that they were... 

I just used a small bit of tape to cover that pin(very small bit of tape) and the drives came up...

these drives are HGST HUH728080AL4200 3.5" 8TB SAS 12Gb/s 7.2K RPM 128M 0F23651 4Kn ISE Enterprise Hard Drive

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X8Z77W8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

also using the following adapter cable Mini SAS Cable with SATA Power, CableCreation Internal Mini SAS 36 Pin to 4 x 29 Pin Cord with SATA Power, SFF-8087 to SFF-8482 Cable, 3.3 FT

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013G4FEGG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Mixing SAS and SATA Drives