PCI-E PCIE RAID Express Card to 2 SATA II Controller $8 JMB362

greybeard

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like the card is having problems reading from the drive, and reduced the connection speed from 3.0Gb to 1.5Gb.

I would try reseating the card in the PCIx1 slot, and try unplugging and replugging the SATA and power cables and see if it clears up.  If that doesn't help, you might also try swapping the SATA cables for new ones.

I also bought 2 of these cards.  Unbelievable price!  Hope you can get it to work well for you.

Thank you,

I reseated the card in a new slot and replaced the cable.  That seems to have cured the problem.

syslog-2011-03-13.txt

Looks like the card is having problems reading from the drive, and reduced the connection speed from 3.0Gb to 1.5Gb.

I would try reseating the card in the PCIx1 slot, and try unplugging and replugging the SATA and power cables and see if it clears up.  If that doesn't help, you might also try swapping the SATA cables for new ones.

I also bought 2 of these cards.  Unbelievable price!  Hope you can get it to work well for you.

Thank you,

I reseated the card in a new slot and replaced the cable.  That seems to have cured the problem.

8)

Anyone want to check to see if one of these guys can be passed through ESXi?

Anyone test this?  I just bought one to try, but I wanted to know if anyone else has before me.  Thanks!

I got my card yesterday.  I now have 2 cards passed in my ESXi 4.1U1 test server connected to 3 160Gb drives in unRAID 5.0b6a.  They seem to work quite well. 

I have run 4 parity checks, read 500gb off the array, wrote 120Gb back all with no issues.

Works much better than than Sil card which would freeze the whole system if you wrote to one channel while reading from another.

A bit more load testing to do, but these will probably become my production array running under ESXi (as soon as I get VMTools under 4.7).

I ordered a couple on March 5th but have not received it yet. How long did it take people to receive it?

Mine arrived the day before the first day of their given estimated arrival date.

Mine took just over three weeks... and I ordered during Chinese New Year's week when they were on holiday.

i will getting my Supermicro C2SEE very soon and will build my first Unraid NAS

when i read the specs right, it is possible to place 3 of these cards on this mainbord?

To get the ''el cheapo'' way of 12 sata ports in total? in stead of choosing the more expensive SASLP-MV8 card to get 14 in total.

Greetz from Belgium

I just got mine today. This one is working along with my Rosewill RC-218 PCIx4 card. I have four external enclosures attached to the ROsewill. Three are 4 bay and one is 5 bay.

My system is booting with this cheap card in my PCI x1 slot. It is also working with multiple bay enclosures but it is doing something odd. If I have two drives in, it only sees one. If I have three drives in, it sees 2. With four drives in, it sees 3 and with five drives, it sees 4. RIght now I have a 5 bay and a 4 bay enclosure connected to it. I need to try the second card I have to rule out an issue with the card. But other wise it does seem to be fine. I should be able to use this if/when they get the total array drives up to 24 from 20. I'll just have to stick a couple of old 320GB drives for the last drive in the enclosures connected to this card.

It was doing something funky with two port multiplier enclosures attached. When I rebooted it stopped seeing one of the enclosures. SO for now I'll attach my five bay enclosure to it and it will be able to access four of those drives. So at least this will allow me to take my array to twenty drives, with all those drives in the external enclosures and the parity and cache drive in the unRAID mid tower case.

I need to order another sata to eSATA bracket since I took the one I was testing with out of my TiVo Desktop server.

Has anybody else had significant problems with one of these?  My computer will not even post if I have the card inserted.  It doesn't matter what slot I put it in, or even if it's the only card in the case.

I have a pair of the Syba controllers from Monoprice that I used to verify every slot is functional.  Defective card?  Motherboard conflict?

Gizmotoy -

Sounds like a defective card to mr. You could try on another MB to confirm.  If it fails too you know for sure  Every product on the planet has DOA units and it sounds like you found one. Will be interesting to see how vendor responds. Hopefully they will just send you another one at no charge.

I tried the card on my outgoing hardware (NForce4 Ultra), with a single drive attached, and booted unRAID.  The drive was recognized perfectly, and the PC stayed powered on.  Either the card doesn't like my motherboard, or I have some kind of power issue on the new board.  Either way, it looks like the card itself is fine.

I have a bit more info.  My motherboard manufacturer is investigating, but I also contacted JMicron about my troubles, and that led me to a bit of concern.

JMicron suggested I update the BIOS.  I located the necessary files on their site, prepared a boot disk, and started working on updating the BIOS on the card.  While the program appeared to find the card on the correct bus and device location, the program refused to back up the BIOS, saying Flash ID = 0x0000 Not Supported!  Not a good sign. 

I attempted to write the BIOS from JMicron's site, and while I can't remember the exact text, the program stated that a JMB36x controller was not found on the card, and thus writing failed.

I'm going to follow up with the JMicron FAE, but given the price I'm starting to suspect these may be counterfeit controllers.  I'll keep everyone updated.

Eh, since as of late I seem to have this overwhelming need to purchase parts I have no immediate use for.. I grabbed 5.  That and it was showing "more than 10" which usually means less than 20 are left, but who knows.  Appreciate the link and the info on these, I may use them to build some Unraid boxes for a friend or two with all these parts.. <grin>

While the program appeared to find the card on the correct bus and device location, the program refused to back up the BIOS, saying Flash ID = 0x0000 Not Supported!  Not a good sign. 

I had a similar occurrance with a SiL3132 card. The maker of that card cheaped out and put a prom on the board instead of an eeprom or flash chip. Cheaper to build but it can't be reflashed later.

Peter