PCI-E PCIE RAID Express Card to 2 SATA II Controller $8 JMB362

greybeard

While the program appeared to find the card on the correct bus and device location, the program refused to back up the BIOS, saying Flash ID = 0x0000 Not Supported!  Not a good sign. 

I had a similar occurrance with a SiL3132 card. The maker of that card cheaped out and put a prom on the board instead of an eeprom or flash chip. Cheaper to build but it can't be reflashed later.

Peter

Yea, the FAE wrote back.  If you don't get the BIOS page during post, the card can't be reflashed, and this card doesn't do that.  It sounds like he thought older versions of the BIOS will not work with newer Sandy Bridge motherboards without the newest BIOS.

So, beware of these if you have a newer board.  If it doesn't work, you're stuck.  I mean, it's only $8, but it's worth a warning.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yea, the FAE wrote back.  If you don't get the BIOS page during post, the card can't be reflashed, and this card doesn't do that.  It sounds like he thought older versions of the BIOS will not work with newer Sandy Bridge motherboards without the newest BIOS.

So, beware of these if you have a newer board.  If it doesn't work, you're stuck.  I mean, it's only $8, but it's worth a warning.

You might be able to sell it here.  People would likely pay what you paid + shipping to not have to wait a month to get it.

I found out some more info with this card and port multpler enclosures. With my newer Sans digital enclosures it would see all the drives, but with the older ones it would see one less than what is installed.

But I ended up using an enclosure with only three drives in it attached to the card. When I had four drives attached it slowed the system down too much when doing a parity check.

At the risk of repeating myself:

From the specs "Supports up to 64K Byte external Flash for BIOS expansion"

Not on this card. Don't believe there is any way to flash this specific implementation.

Can someone provide a HiRes pictures of the both sides to identify the ROM.

In theory someone can purchase an equivalent flash chip and get it done - on the Ebay's picture there is a big juicy place for header (GND, DATA, CLOCK and VDD)  ;)

Hope this helps. If you can find a flash chip, you have better eyes than I. Also scanned at 1600 dpi but the file is 21M.  The back has a few more capacitors and resistors but that is it. From the 1600 dpi scan I was able to confirm it is in fact a JMB362 chip. I believe the ROM is built into the JMB362.

JMB362.jpg.b8443b0fdd64a9b5227fd8dbe6ed1589.jpg

I order 3, never came, over 32 days, seller returned payment.

I had a similar problem. 30+ days, no cards. I finally found them sitting at the post office waiting for us to pick them up. The USPS claimed to have tried to deliver them but did not leave anything telling us that. For four cards a signature was required so they wouldn't just leave them in the mail box. This sort of thing happens all too oftern with our local post office. It is incredibly anoying. The seller did offer to refund before I found them but I told them to wait until I did some more checking.

I order 3, never came, over 32 days, seller returned payment.

I had a similar problem. 30+ days, no cards. I finally found them sitting at the post office waiting for us to pick them up. The USPS claimed to have tried to deliver them but did not leave anything telling us that. For four cards a signature was required so they wouldn't just leave them in the mail box. This sort of thing happens all too oftern with our local post office. It is incredibly anoying. The seller did offer to refund before I found them but I told them to wait until I did some more checking.

Wish I could say the same, I have my post man's # and he has mine :)  he always leaves packages in 3 different spots depending on the size of the package. And when he sees passports etc.. he calls to ask what do do, leave or hold on...

No cards for me  :-\ Any one wants to sell 2 of these to me? that you have confirmed is not DOA. Just PM me.

I tried the card on my outgoing hardware (NForce4 Ultra), with a single drive attached, and booted unRAID.  The drive was recognized perfectly, and the PC stayed powered on.  Either the card doesn't like my motherboard, or I have some kind of power issue on the new board.  Either way, it looks like the card itself is fine.

I'm having the same problem, ordered two of these to use in my Biostar TH55 HD and with them installed I can't get the darn thing to even post.  I've tried both PCIe slots and both cards, no dice.  Has the most up-to-date firmware.  Tried them both in a Win7 machine with a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H and they work perfectly.  Anyone have any insight by chance?  Any Bios settings need changed?  I've tried the setting PEG Force Gen 1 with no success.  Any help appreciated and if this needs moved to the Hardware forums, let me know.

Thanks,

manualk.png

I ordered 4 of these. Tried all 4 now and the server won't boot when any of them are in.

I've got a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R which is an intel P35 chipset board, I have the 16x slot and 3 1x slots, and the machine turns off after about 15 seconds no matter which slot(s) I try to populate. A Silicon Image card I have works flawlessly in the bottom 1x slot. Removing the SI card has no impact on the situation.

I also have a HTPC with the exact same MB and get the exact same problem with that mobo. The HTPC uses a PCI-E gfx card where the server uses a PCI card, again does not appear to have influence.

Both mobos are using the latest F13 BIOS (which has the dreaded HPA-wielding BIOS-backup feature disabled per default).

Unless someone has a good idea, I'll probably have 4 of these up for sale shortly...

UPDATE: Come to think of it, this board does have an on-board JMB36x 2-port SATA controller. Did any of the other boards where this failed also have another Jmicron chip? In Gigabyte's boards, it is branded 'GSATA' but if You have it it will be detected as Jmicron something in the syslog.

I ordered 2 of these for my Supermicro C2SEE, to have the CHEAP-ASS WAY of getting 10 SATA ports.

took about 2 weeks to arrive in Belgium.

installed both , and attached a WD15EARS for testing ,, with SNAP outside the array it appears that everything is just fine.

further testing is needed, keep you guys informed.

UPDATE: Come to think of it, this board does have an on-board JMB36x 2-port SATA controller. Did any of the other boards where this failed also have another Jmicron chip? In Gigabyte's boards, it is branded 'GSATA' but if You have it it will be detected as Jmicron something in the syslog.

The Fork's EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR has an onboard JMB362 controller.

The Fork's EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR has an onboard JMB362 controller.

oh, i guess that explains why it doesn't post, thanks!

There are cases of controllers not working when multiples of the same controller are in the same system.  For example, 3 SASLPs will not work on some motherboards.  Perhaps 2 of these Jmicrons running different firmware versions are both trying to grab the same resources and creating a problem.

Just a guess.

There are cases of controllers not working when multiples of the same controller are in the same system.  For example, 3 SASLPs will not work on some motherboards.  Perhaps 2 of these Jmicrons running different firmware versions are both trying to grab the same resources and creating a problem.

Just a guess.

My guess was something along those lines too. After writing, I took mine up to the HTPC (which has the convenience of a monitor attached) and tried, including disabling the on-board Jmicron controller in the Gigabyte BIOS. Still no go - but my guess still is this could have something to do with it - the add-in card still has a BIOS that could be detecting the on-board Jmicron chip and causing the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

If it helps someone.

I have older Dell GX280 and this card doesn't allow it to post. In fact, I tried it in other newer Dells and it doesn't allow them to post either. I did read somewhere that Dell's PCI-E slots are limited to graphics cards only even though I found official Dell documentation that talks about PCI-E slot capabilities being able to use it for network, graphics and other purposes.

Not sure what to make of it, I even thought that card was defective and seller was  nice enough to send me another one, but new card does exactly same thing in Dell computers. Sort of disappointing.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for bumping an old thread.

Is this card still recommended?

Not sure I would say that it is recommended. From what I have read it is either compatible with your main board and works fine or it's not.  There is no inbetween. The evidence seems to suggest that if there is an JMB controller on the main borad you chances of this card working drops dramatically. So, unless you can find a post that confirms it works with your main board you spend your $9 (price went up) and take your chances. I have several of them working just fine in both unRAID and Windows systems.