PCI-E PCIE RAID Express Card to 2 SATA II Controller $8 JMB362

greybeard

Saw this on ebay and thought I would give it a try. Will let you know in 2-3 weeks how it works.

Not 100% sure it is a JMB363 but don't see how it could be a JMB360 with two SATA ports. I did see a Syba JMB363 based card in the hardware compatibility list.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280429470355

2/1/2011 Edit: I now believe this is JMB362 chip based card not a JMB363. I need to find a magnifying glass.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

The card arrived and it is working great. Even works in the primary video slot of a C2SEE. All of the SIL3132 cards I tried in that slot caused problems. Currently running a preclear on a Samsung 1.5 drive. at 5% complete into the preread I am getting 95.7 MB/s.

About the card itself. There are no BIOS messages displayed during boot so I don't know if there is a way to turn of INT13, assuming it is even on in the first place. It presents as two AHCI ports both in unRAID and Windows 7. So in Windows there is no need to install a special driver. Windows loads the exact same drive as it does for mobo AHCI ports. I will preclear the same drive with the card in both an x16 and x1 slot then report the times. Will also provide the time for the same drive connected to SIL3132 in an x1 slot. I'll report back when they are done.

I really like the way this is working and the JMB363 chip is listed in the Hitachi paper as being compatible with drives greate than 2.2TB. Not to mention at $8 you can't bet the price. Only downside is waiting two weeks for delivery, but I suppose that all depends on where you live. Native 4k sector support? That might be wishful thinking. No way to know at this time. The card itself is really tiny, too bad someone doesn't put several of these chips all on one card, each using their own PCI Express lane. The "RAID" in the description requires port multipliers to be connected to the card, no native RAID support like the SIL RAID BIOS.

Feb  1 07:20:02 MiniClops kernel: ahci 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16 (Drive related)

Feb  1 07:20:02 MiniClops kernel: ahci 0000:01:00.0: AHCI 0001.0000 32 slots 2 ports 3 Gbps 0x3 impl SATA mode (Drive related)

Feb  1 07:20:02 MiniClops kernel: ahci 0000:01:00.0: flags: 64bit ncq pm led clo pmp pio slum part  (Drive related)

Feb  1 07:20:02 MiniClops kernel: ahci 0000:01:00.0: setting latency timer to 64 (Drive related)

Feb  1 07:20:02 MiniClops kernel: scsi6 : ahci (Drive related)

Feb  1 07:20:02 MiniClops kernel: scsi7 : ahci (Drive related)

Feb  1 07:20:02 MiniClops kernel: ata7: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m8192@0xfe8fe000 port 0xfe8fe100 irq 16 (Drive related)

Feb  1 07:20:02 MiniClops kernel: ata8: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m8192@0xfe8fe000 port 0xfe8fe180 irq 16 (Drive related)

Are these still going strong for you?

I just ordered two from eBay (which are going to be a week delayed due to Chinese New Year), and was hoping that my $16 has not been wasted  ;D

I can only add 3 more drives in addition to the 7 mobo SATA ports, due to space issues, so this was a decent option given that I've got 2 PCI-E ports. If I find myself in the market for a humongous case any time soon I can always buy something fancier, it's not like the $16 has broken the bank.

Are these still going strong for you?

I just ordered two from eBay (which are going to be a week delayed due to Chinese New Year), and was hoping that my $16 has not been wasted  ;D

I can only add 3 more drives in addition to the 7 mobo SATA ports, due to space issues, so this was a decent option given that I've got 2 PCI-E ports. If I find myself in the market for a humongous case any time soon I can always buy something fancier, it's not like the $16 has broken the bank.

The one I have is working great but I have not had it that long. Ran a full preclear of 1.5TB drive with no issues at all. Currently running the exact same preclear with the drive connected to a Sil3132. Seems to be going about the same. I have not tested with two drives connected to one card. I am kind of thinking I will connect my parity drive to this with data drives connected to a MV8 and mobo ports. Will be testing a lot more in the next few days with the goal of going live this weekend. Going to split a 20 drive server into 10-10 so all my 1 & 1.5TB drives will be in one server and 2TB in the other. Then I will add some more 1 & 2TB drives to the respective servers. In the end I will wind up with two 15 drive servers and spare capicity.

Waiting for shipping is kind of a pita but they do have a lot of good feedback. I will probably buy a few spares to put on the shelf.

Just finished testing using preclear.

C2SEE, E3400, KVR1333D3N9K2/4G, CMPSU-750TX, Samsung 1.5TB HD154UI

Test 1: Sil3132 RAID BIOS in slot 7 connected to Samsug 1.5 with 14 additional preclers running. 2 passes on all preclears.

Results: Took 80 hours for all preclears to finish. The Samsun connected to the Sil reported that the preclear did "NOT" finish successfully and listed two skip/count messages.

Test 2: JMB362 in slot 6 (primary video slot) connected to same Samsung 1.5 drive as Sil in test 1.

Results: 21:24:42 Successful

Test 3: Sil3132 RAID BIOS in slot 7 same 1.5 drive.

Results: 21:45:34 "NOT" successful, one sikip/count message. Way different location than Test 1.

Test 4: JMB362 in slot 7 same 1.5 drive.

Results: 21:24:13 Successful

Currently working on testing a 13 drive (5 1TB, 7 2TB, 1.5TB parity) array with the parity drive connected to the JBM362.

thought you needed your parity drive to be as big as your largest drive? or was that a typo.

Doh!! You are absolutely correct. Ultimately the 1.5TB will be the parity for an array of 1.5TB and 1TB drives. The 2TB in the box now will be moved to another box of all 2TBs. Guess I will need to use one of the 2TBs as parity for this test.

Thanks, I just ordered 2 of them.

I ordered 3.  I can use them initially on my C2SEE motherboard.  If they can give me 6 more ports for a total outlay of just over $20 I'm going to be very happy.  (I only need 6 more ports to fill out the rack I made for the newer server)

I will also have to wait until after the Chinese New Year holiday for them to ship, but I can understand that... and I'm not in any hurry.

Joe L.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like the card is having problems reading from the drive, and reduced the connection speed from 3.0Gb to 1.5Gb.

I would try reseating the card in the PCIx1 slot, and try unplugging and replugging the SATA and power cables and see if it clears up.  If that doesn't help, you might also try swapping the SATA cables for new ones.

I also bought 2 of these cards.  Unbelievable price!  Hope you can get it to work well for you.