PFSense VM Carp and speed issues

I have set up 2 pfsense vms on 2 unraid servers for redundancy and they are mostly working fine except for 2 things:

1 the speed seems to cap out at about 130mbps when I should be getting closer to 1gbps (both in bits not bytes) even internal transfers on 1gbp ethernet cap out at about 130mbps (RAM and CPU utilisation are in the 10-30% range)

2 carp weirdly only works on other subnets, for example if Im connected to the 192.168.1.x subnet I can connect to the carp address for the 192.168.5.x subnet (192.168.5.3) and not the carp address for the subnet Im on (192.168.1.3) vica versa with the other networks. The WAN carp is completely unreachable on the parent subnet. I have read that this can be an issue with VMs not being able to broadcast to and from their physical nics, could I solve this by setting the MAC address in the xml to the same as the MAC of the physical NIC? 

I dont have the pcie card passed through directly as that was causing problems for me in pfsense itself with them being unsupported (I tried with the default and vmxnet3 drivers with no joy). I have since isolated 3 ports on each nic (onboard nic from dell r710s) and passed them through as 'direct' in the xml like so and ensured that unraid does not use them for anything:

<interface type='direct'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:8f:45:36'/>
      <source dev='eth3' mode='vepa'/>
      <target dev='macvtap2'/>
      <model type='vmxnet3'/>
      <alias name='net2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x0a' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>

Any ideas?
Any help is much appreciated!