6.8.3: Did I configure my array incorrectly?

New to Unraid....so bear with me. I have been moving my data onto my server. All has been fine, but this morning I woke up an noticed this error

109350874_Annotation2020-08-07072500.png.87f472f69727b1c411b91aa8bb7659f0.png

I thought that Unraid managed all of the data across the various drives I have installed automatically that I have set up?

Is this an FYI warning or something worse?

Did I misconfigure my array somehow? See my other screenshots for my disk config screenshots. 

Just not sure if I am set up properly or I am heading to a bad place or not. 

Thanks!

array.thumb.png.13a2dcd1f6284cf9b995f4d3a50756b8.png

1019434836_Annotation2020-08-07075350.thumb.png.2940ebb652f8f6c15e38861fa657bf46.png

Edited by Nexus
58 minutes ago, Nexus said:

I thought that Unraid managed all of the data across the various drives I have installed automatically that I have set up?

No, it is based on share settings.

In each share configuration, you can set up the allocation method and the split level.  Turn on Help on the share settings page to see a description of how each setting works.

In addition to the allocation method, you can limit which disk(s) are used by either including or excluding (both are not needed) disks from a share.

There is lots of flexibility, but, you also have to understand how it works and what the results will be.

I don't have access to my system at the moment to take any screen shots, but, here is a link to some documentation on the subject.

Assuming user shares have default Allocation Method of Highwater, what you have is normal. You can adjust the warning level for each disk as seen in that 2nd screenshot you posted.

Disk1 has 4TB free, so disk1 is chosen first, and Highwater is set at half the remaining capacity of the disk, 2TB free. So it uses disk1 until it has 2TB free.

Then it re-evaluates Highwater.

Now disk1 has 2TB free, and all other disks also have 2TB free, so disk1 is chosen first, and Highwater is set at half the remaining, 1TB free. It will continue to use disk1 until it has 1TB free, then go on to disk2 until it has 1TB free, and so on.

Other allocation methods are available, but Highwater is default for good reasons. It is a compromise between using all disks (eventually) without constantly switching disks, as would happen with Most Free Allocation.

Lots of this in syslog

Aug  6 04:38:27 Unraid kernel: CPU3: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 9521810)
Aug  6 04:38:27 Unraid kernel: CPU7: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 9521810)
Aug  6 04:38:27 Unraid kernel: CPU0: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 9521810)
Aug  6 04:38:27 Unraid kernel: CPU4: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 9521810)
Aug  6 04:38:27 Unraid kernel: CPU5: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 9521810)
Aug  6 04:38:27 Unraid kernel: CPU1: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 9521810)
Aug  6 04:38:27 Unraid kernel: CPU2: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 9521810)
Aug  6 04:38:27 Unraid kernel: CPU6: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 9521810)

don't usually see that so much. Are you overclocking?

1 hour ago, jonathanm said:

Liquid cooling is fine for gaming rigs, you really should have the thermal mass of a plain old heatsink and fan for a server.

Yup. I actually re-purposed an old Gaming PC since it had a solid CPU and a bunch of slots to handle all the storage.

Not sure I can retrofit the CPU cooler...I've never done that. Is that a thing?

Edited by Nexus

Update: I was really worried about my CPU temp, and pulled my PC out of my equipment rack (read: A shelf in my garage) - and looked at the CPU pump. It was not plugged in :|  Yea: I am an idiot.

Since it's been unplugged since I turned this PC into an Unraid server (about 50 days ago) - I don't know what the CPU temp SHOULD be.

Yes, I know cooler is better - but what's the acceptable range? Google tells me 50 - 60 C / 122 - 149 F.

Right now, with a 1080p plex stream and Macinabox running in a VM, I am sitting at about 120 F. 

I think I am a better place. How does that sound to everyone else? 

Thanks again. 

4 hours ago, Nexus said:

the CPU pump. It was not plugged in

That'll do it. And when the pump fails, same thing will happen. At least with a standard heat sink there is a big chunk of metal to pass the heat to the air, even if a fan fails the air still flows by convection or other fans in the case, albeit much slower.

The only place for a liquid cooled rig is on your desk, where the only time it's on is when you are sitting there. That way a failure can be detected and dealt with quickly, before things get out of hand.

At the very least make sure that you will get an email if the temperature starts rising again.