Home build sanity check

Ken R.

This machine is to take some of the load off of my existing (2 Parity 44tb, i7-920, P6X58D MB, 18 gig ram) unraid server of about 10 years now.  The plan is to add drives as needed, I'll start with the 8tb exos seagates.

I don't run much, it's a headless box that will just run a few dockers (Medusa/SAB/plex/ESPHome, maybe a VM or two but no gaming or such.  I would need to pass through things like USB.  I might retire another machine and run a light weight windows VM too which would need a GPU passthrough.

Here is a link to https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Q6tYvW

Any thoughts?  Oh two cases listed in there, not sure which I'd go with yet.  I'll add SATA cards as needed once I exceed the MB SATA.  It would be nice to watch a stream, download and post process at the same time - something I could never do on the other machine (had to pause DL while PP or the stream would buffer)

Thanks,

Edited by Ken R.

Where are you looking for ECC? Because it's everywhere........

Looks like a good build.. you probably don't need a 750W power supply though, cost wise might not make much of a difference to get a lower wattage one but 750 is probably overkill.

You may not be concerned about it, but the board has no IPMI.  It's like half a server board and half a consumer board. Like it can't make up it's mind what it wants to be.  You may not want or need IPMI, but .... if so...

Edited by Energen

Kingston ValueRAM 32 GB (2x16) was the only ram I saw on PCPart Picker and none for 16 gb (2x8) - I did not dig any deeper, just assumed its a covid thing.

No, your right, IPMI was not a consideration.

I sized the PWR supply assuming 14 drives and a dedicated GPU just in case, again, the selection was not great.

Edited by Ken R.