No Audio on Windows 10 VM with GPU passthrough

Hi All, 

I am still on the trial period of Unraid and the most important thing for me with this build was the ability to setup Windows Gaming VMs to stream using Parsec/Steam In Home. 

I have been able multiple times to get the entire system setup and running with games but I have not been able to get the sound to work. I have made sure that the XML has "multifunction= 'on'" and also made sure that the Slots are the same and functions are correct. 

I also made sure to have a dumby HDMI plugged into the GPU. Still I have no audio...

Just a moment ago I decided that I would isolate the motherboard audio and try to pass that through(no optimal as I was doing this for at least 2 gaming VMs) and it crashed my entire VM and now I have to rebuild it. 

Can anyone tell me what is going on here? In Device Manager it says all my drivers are up to date. My Nvidia drivers are all working...etc. 

The only other thing that I can think of is Nvidia control panel which shows that even with HDMI plugged in that there is no "audio capable display connected". Which may have it turned off. I am at a loss...

Not sure what’s going on without a little more detail, but why would you need a dummy Hdmi in the gpu if you have the card attached to an actual display? Does the display support audio over Hdmi, or what’s the physical set up like? What’s shown in your windows audio control panel?

3 minutes ago, meep said:

Not sure what’s going on without a little more detail, but why would you need a dummy Hdmi in the gpu if you have the card attached to an actual display? Does the display support audio over Hdmi, or what’s the physical set up like? What’s shown in your windows audio control panel?

HDMI is not connected to the display as this display is quite old and is only DVI. I am setting this up for only streaming games as I never have time to sit at my computer to play games anymore so I want to be able to just play from any screen in the house. 

I will get you a picture in a little bit. Audio Control panel says no sound output device found but Device Manager shows Nvidia Sound Card is connected and active.

3 minutes ago, meep said:

19 minutes ago, madbrayniak said:

HDMI is not connected to the display as this display is quite old and is only DVI. I am setting this up for only streaming games as I never have time to sit at my computer to play games anymore so I want to be able to just play from any screen in the house. 

I will get you a picture in a little bit. Audio Control panel says no sound output device found but Device Manager shows Nvidia Sound Card is connected and active.

Ah, that makes more sense. You don’t have audio in your streaming client, not the physical card. I’d imagine this is because there’s no physical external device attached to the decode the audio stream does this kind of configuration work with a bare-metal (non vm) set up? I’m not sure those dummy plugs are smart enough to fool the system on the audio as well as video side of things.

i do sometimes use parsec, but also have cheap usb audio devices attached to VM and that seems to do the trick. (Usb device plugged in to USB adapter which is passed through to the vm).

I found a fix. 

I tried the ac97 and the ich6 and a few other virtual sound cards but the vm would lock up. 

What wound up working is something that is referred to here: 

https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/guide-remote-gaming-on-unraid/4248/13

if you scroll to the bottom he says that the audio issue seems to be tied more to Parsec than the VM( I may be wrong a bout this). Hwoever, I installed the VIrtual Audio Cables as he suggested and rebooted the VM and it works!

Im so excited! Now I just need to do some stability tests and will then start to look into building a second gaming VM for my wife to play on. 

• 3 years later...

Hey guys I got a similar issue, I have a gaming VM with no screen plugged to the GPU but I use a virtual USB screen driver to have video output, and a physical USB sound card. But after about 15 minutes of gaming the sound just stop working and I can make it work again for 15 minutes by disable then enable the sound card.