Extrenal Drive switching between /dev/sda and sdt

Unraid 6.8.3. I have an external drive which appears to be good according to Windows chkdsk, the mac disk utility, and fsck under ubuntu. It is formatted in exfat so that I can use it across the 3 different operating systems. I had it mounted under unassigned devices and while using rsync to copy some files I noticed that it would fail and then I'd do an fdisk and see that it would go from /dev/sda to /dev/sdt or vice versa. I removed unassigned devices (and plus) and rebooted the server. Did git checkout of unassigned devices just to get he packages I need and installed those so I could mount the partition myself from the command line and I see it is still doing it. Anyone have any idea why I would be seeing this behavior?

unraid-diagnostics-20200807-1948.zip

The /dev/sdx changes by the kernel. That's a known quirk but it only changes if there are some changes to the devices. I suspect your USB drive briefly disconnected which caused the sdx assignments to change (that and a lot of IO errors in the syslog).

So the sdx change is a red herring. You have some other issues with the external drive / usb port / cable etc.

14 minutes ago, testdasi said:

The /dev/sdx changes by the kernel. That's a known quirk but it only changes if there are some changes to the devices. I suspect your USB drive briefly disconnected which caused the sdx assignments to change (that and a lot of IO errors in the syslog).

So the sdx change is a red herring. You have some other issues with the external drive / usb port / cable etc.

Is it possible the USB drive is going to sleep and that's why it's changing?