Step 5 of converting physical disk to VM

Hi

First time unRAID user, migrating from WHS2011.

I'm trying to set up the remains of my WHS2011 server as a VM, but getting to "Step 5: Install the VirtIO drivers from inside the VM (Windows Guests Only)" where it says to "Using Windows File Explorer, navigate to the VirtIO virtual cd-rom to browse its contents"

I'm struggling to figure out how to do this? Does it mean start the VM and do it through VNC? If I try that, the VM starts to load Windows and then BSODs. ...But I don't think that's what it's saying... Am I dense? What am I missing? If I try to get to the virtIO iso through the SMB shares, the "isos" directory isn't present.

I could (and may have to) just do a fresh install, but some of the apps that I have installed on it have been deprecated and I'm not sure I can get my hands on the serial numbers to reinstall them. It's a pretty beefy VM to run the couple apps I need (an AirPrint server and an iTunes version that runs as a service). 

Thanks in advance,

Erik

6 hours ago, ainuke said:

"Step 5: Install the VirtIO drivers from inside the VM (Windows Guests Only)"

I'm struggling to figure out how to do this? Does it mean start the VM and do it through VNC? If I try that, the VM starts to load Windows and then BSODs. ...But I don't think that's what it's saying... Am I dense? What am I missing? If I try to get to the virtIO iso through the SMB shares, the "isos" directory isn't present.

Yes, load the VM and install from inside the VM.  You should have the virtio iso mounted in the VM configuration as a CD.

But, if your VM is BSOD'ing when it boots, virtio is not going to help you.  You've got other problems with your VM image.

Delete what you currently have and start over again, that disk image you have is not going to work.  This may be the extreme approach but since I/we/nobody knows how you created the disk image i/we/nobody can tell you if it's something that could be fixed.  It could also be your VM configuration that's not right.

12 hours ago, Energen said:

Yes, load the VM and install from inside the VM.  You should have the virtio iso mounted in the VM configuration as a CD.

But, if your VM is BSOD'ing when it boots, virtio is not going to help you.  You've got other problems with your VM image.

Delete what you currently have and start over again, that disk image you have is not going to work.  This may be the extreme approach but since I/we/nobody knows how you created the disk image i/we/nobody can tell you if it's something that could be fixed.  It could also be your VM configuration that's not right.

Thanks for the response. I've tried numerous ways to set up this WHS install as a VM, including using Acronis Backup/Recovery. 

I'm using unRAID v6.8.3

The directions here: https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/VM_Management#Physical_to_Virtual_Machine_Conversion seemed pretty straightforward.

I'd be super psyched if there's something simple I've left out. After this gave me BSODs with SeaBIOS, I tried OVMF on a whim. No dice for that, either, as I'm sure you would've known. My install attempting to convert HD to VM:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<domain type='kvm'>
  <name>Windows Home Server 2011</name>
  <uuid>47f0a1f7-8e54-81e6-cab1-873c57e8dc90</uuid>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="Windows Server 2008" icon="windows7.png" os="windows2008"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>4194304</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>1048576</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>2</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='6'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='7'/>
  </cputune>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-i440fx-4.2'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/47f0a1f7-8e54-81e6-cab1-873c57e8dc90_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
    <hyperv>
      <relaxed state='on'/>
      <vapic state='on'/>
      <spinlocks state='on' retries='8191'/>
      <vendor_id state='on' value='none'/>
    </hyperv>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none'>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='1' threads='2'/>
    <cache mode='passthrough'/>
    <feature policy='require' name='topoext'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='localtime'>
    <timer name='hypervclock' present='yes'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/isos/virtio-win-0.1.173-2.iso'/>
      <target dev='hdb' bus='ide'/>
      <readonly/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='1'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/Windows Home Server 2011/vdisk1.img'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='ide'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='1' target='0' unit='0'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/Windows Home Server 2011/vdisk2.img'/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x06' function='0x0'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci2'>
      <master startport='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci3'>
      <master startport='4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pci-root'/>
    <controller type='ide' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:b5:45:0d'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target type='isa-serial' port='0'>
        <model name='isa-serial'/>
      </target>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty'>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='cirrus' vram='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>
    </video>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x08' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
</domain>

I'd appreciate any help you could offer. As I said in my OP, I'm not sure I could recreate the parts that are important to me from scratch.

TIA

Erik

Ok, thanks. The BSOD flashes for about .5 second then it restarts. I know it's nothing to go on.

I'm trying to install a fresh vanilla version of WHS, then see if I can connect the backup hard drive from that server to restore from.

Or I'll just see how big a pain it is to install from scratch... 

What I'd *really* like is an AirPrint/CUPS docker that saw my printer, and an iTunes install that communicated with Apple (downloading new music, playlists, etc.); DAAPD docker is fine for AirPlay, but definitely lacking features.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Erik