UPS Issue Still Here

Ok I am sad to say that I am still haveing issues with my UPS and it is really frustrating.

After replacing the batteries in my TrippLite SMC-1500T and re-configuring the parameters in UPS Settings I am still having a shutdown initiated within a few seconds of switching to battery power.  Here is is part of the log:

Aug  7 19:32:18 MediaTower apcupsd[1832]: Power failure.
Aug  7 19:32:23 MediaTower apcupsd[1832]: Running on UPS batteries.
Aug  7 19:32:33 MediaTower apcupsd[1832]: Battery power exhausted.
Aug  7 19:32:33 MediaTower apcupsd[1832]: Initiating system shutdown!
Aug  7 19:32:33 MediaTower apcupsd[1832]: User logins prohibited
Aug  7 19:32:33 MediaTower apcupsd[1832]: Mains returned. No longer on UPS batteries.
Aug  7 19:32:33 MediaTower apcupsd[1832]: Power is back. UPS running on mains.
Aug  7 19:32:33 MediaTower apcupsd[1832]: Allowing logins
Aug  7 19:32:33 MediaTower root: /usr/local/sbin/powerdown has been deprecated

A couple weeks ago we had an actual power failure and this log shows it ran on battery for ~ 12 minutes before shutdown.

Jul 27 11:20:25 MediaTower apcupsd[6650]: Running on UPS batteries.
Jul 27 11:32:45 MediaTower apcupsd[6650]: Battery power exhausted.
Jul 27 11:32:45 MediaTower apcupsd[6650]: Initiating system shutdown!

I don't have anything else plugged into my UPS.  This is a Dell server with Dual Power Supplies(both are plugged into the TrippLite).

It shows a 38 Minute run time with a 23% Load.  Here are my ups parameters:

I ran the self test as TrippLite suggests holding the mute button. It switched over to battery power for a short time, let out a few beeps and was complete.

Battery charge dropped from 100% to 90% in that 30 second period as reported by unraid.

Why is it still randomly going into immediate shutdown instead of using the available battery capacity? 

SMC1500T.jpg

Edited by a12vman
1 hour ago, a12vman said:

Battery charge dropped from 100% to 90% in that 30 second period as reported by unraid.

Basically, this says that the battery will be completely discharged in 300 seconds (5 Minutes).  You have the 'Runtime left...' set to five minutes, so that is probably where the problem is.  Remember that when you start the shutdown, the load spikes for a second or so when all of the drives spin up.  (It will then settle back down to a steady state value.)  It could be that the firmware in the UPS senses that spike and starts the shutdown based on that spike.

Second possibility.  Even if you replaced the battery, many UPS require that you have to run a special routine to recalibrate the battery sensing parameters.    (There is no way for the UPS to know that it has a new battery otherwise...)

EDIT:

Third possibility.  You got a bad battery.  Test by hooking a load to the UPS (Light bulbs are good) and see how long it takes to discharge the battery.  You should be able to find a chart on the UPS manufacturer's website for a runtime vs load chart. 

Edited by Frank1940
  • Like 1

I set the Runtime Left to Initiate Shutdown to 0 and applied changes.

Flipped the breaker off and went right into shutdown again.

Aug  8 13:05:33 MediaTower apcupsd[26612]: Power failure.
Aug  8 13:05:39 MediaTower apcupsd[26612]: Running on UPS batteries.
Aug  8 13:05:50 MediaTower apcupsd[26612]: Battery power exhausted.
Aug  8 13:05:50 MediaTower apcupsd[26612]: Initiating system shutdown!
Aug  8 13:05:50 MediaTower apcupsd[26612]: User logins prohibited
Aug  8 13:05:51 MediaTower root: /usr/local/sbin/powerdown has been deprecated
Aug  8 13:05:51 MediaTower init: Switching to runlevel: 0
Aug  8 13:05:51 MediaTower init: Trying to re-exec init

I guess I move on to a basic load test to make sure these batteries are good.

Ok I just completed a load test.  With nothing else plugged but a Halogen Work Light(confirmed power draw with Kill-A-Watt @ 400w).

With the Halogen on and plugged into the UPS I flipped the Breaker Off.

It ran on Battery Power for 4:45 seconds before it dropped from 3 Bars down to 2 Bars.  Left it run for another 2 minutes with plenty of power to spare and then I turned it off.

Clearly my batteries are strong enough to run my server for at least a few minutes so what is my issue?

Does anyone know how dell's redundant power supplies work? Is it possible that the UPS is falsely detecting both power supplies drawing power? Should I have only one of the power supplies plugged into the UPS?

I am happy that it does a clean power down but the majority of my local power interruptions only last 2-3 minutes so I would 

expect it to handle that without forcing a power down.

1 hour ago, a12vman said:

With nothing else plugged but a Halogen Work Light(confirmed power draw with Kill-A-Watt @ 400w).

With the Halogen on and plugged into the UPS I flipped the Breaker Off.

It ran on Battery Power for 4:45 seconds before it dropped from 3 Bars down to 2 Bars.  Left it run for another 2 minutes with plenty of power to spare and then I turned it off.

Try the same load test, this time with the communications cable plugged in to the UPS, and the server power on a different circuit that stays live, so you can watch the reported values as the batteries are in use.

I hope this is the last time I have to post about my UPS.  I adjusted the 3 settings slightly.  Left both PSU's pugged into the UPS and have tested multiple times with the breaker shutoff for varying durations.  It is switching back and forth without causing a shutdown. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

UPS-Resolved.jpg