Remove faulty drive

At the moment I have the following:

1 4TB Parity Drive

2 4TB, 1 2TB, 1 1TB data drives. The 2TB is becoming faulty and getting various SMART errors and its affecting its ability to read data. I have ordered a new 4TB drive to replace it, however, I don't want to have to wait for it to arrive in order to access my data. Is it possible to kick out that failing drive and run using the data from the parity disk for a day?

Tools, diagnostics, attach the intact zip file to your next post in this thread.

Theoretically what you are saying shouldn't happen, because if a read from a drive fails, unraid should calculate that value from the rest of the drives, and write that calculated value back to the drive. If the write fails, the drive will be red balled, and no longer used, all further access to that drive will be calculated from all the rest of the drives, seamlessly allowing you to access the data on the failed drive.

I suspect that you may have more than one failing drive by the way you are describing it, in which case you are probably either already losing data, or just about to.

2TB disk2 has pending sectors, so it might make sense to replace it. But

4 hours ago, JRascagneres said:

I don't want to have to wait for it to arrive in order to access my data. Is it possible to kick out that failing drive and run using the data from the parity disk for a day?

Are you having any trouble using your server with that disk? If not I don't see any reason to remove it until ready to replace. If Unraid decides to disable it, then it will be "kicked out" and you will still be able to access the data for that disk by reading ALL remaining disks to calculate its data.

1 minute ago, trurl said:

I assume by that you mean you rebuilt the drive to itself.

Sorry I did this:

You can re-enable the hard drive and reconstruct it as follows:

Stop the array.

Go to the Main page (Devices in version 4.7) and unassign the disk.

Go to the Main page (Array Operations section) and start the array.

Stop the array again.

Go to the Main page (Devices in version 4.7) and re-assign the disk.

Go to the Main page (Array Operations section) - the system should indicate there is a "new" drive to replace the disabled one. Check the confirmation box and click the Start button to start a reconstruct/rebuild of the disk.