Building a new UnRAID system, question about migration

I’ve got the hardware for a new system going together and hardware from a test system that I’ve been experimenting with. The experimental box has a Pro license.

My plan is to use a trial license on a new USB thumb drive so that I can get the new system up and running.  I’d like to have both working to migrate some things between them. Once the new system is working, I’m hoping to migrate my pro license from test system to the usb thumb drive that I have in the new one.  Will that...work?

I’ve been using UnRAID for years but I’ve never moved licenses between drives before.  Just thought that I’d check to see if this is a reasonable way to go.

Thanks.

12 minutes ago, Energen said:

Why are you going through the hassle of playing with keys and drives and licenses?  Move all of your hard drives over to the new system, use the existing flash drive to boot.  Done.  Your entire system is in-tact.

Oh, I guess I wasn’t so specific on what I’m doing.   New system is a ground up build.  The test system was to get a feeling for dedicated GPU VMs and it’s in a system with some very old hard drives. I don’t want them in the new build.  I have 3 10TB drives precleared and ready to go. I’d like to get both systems running so that I can copy the hand full of VM images from the test box to the real system.  I’d like to have access to the test box for reference as I’m porting the vm’s to the new hardware. Also, the new thumb drive is one of those really small ones.  I’d like to put UnRAID on it so that it doesn’t stick out of the back.

1 hour ago, trevisthomas said:

migrate my pro license from test system to the usb thumb drive that I have in the new one.

1 hour ago, trevisthomas said:

I’ve never moved licenses between drives before

The license key file is for the specific flash drive you registered it on. It is associated with the GUID of that flash and won't work on any other. You can do a license transfer from one flash drive to another. This results in a new license key file for the new flash, and blacklisting the old flash GUID.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, trurl said:

The license key file is for the specific flash drive you registered it on. It is associated with the GUID of that flash and won't work on any other. You can do a license transfer from one flash drive to another. This results in a new license key file for the new flash, and blacklisting the old flash GUID.

Got it. Transfer process looks fully self service. No need to contact support even. Cool.  Sounds like the old GUID is black listed in this process, so no going back. 

Thanks.

23 hours ago, Energen said:

Why are you going through the hassle of playing with keys and drives and licenses?  Move all of your hard drives over to the new system, use the existing flash drive to boot.  Done.  Your entire system is in-tact.

While this is mostly true I recently did a complete new build and there was one pretty decent headache involving networking. I went from a quad port NIC (used as two bonded connections) to a dual port NIC. 

When I booted the server there was a mess involving my docker containers networking (they're a mix of VLAN/custom IPs/VPN) and also the MAC address was different so my static mapping from my router wasn't picking up the server properly.

I ended up deleting my network config file and then rebooted into GUI mode and made my network adjustments. Everything works great now but it's definitely something to keep in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so my build is in a pretty happy place but i need to move the new configuration onto a thumbdrive with my Pro license.

I have a pro license, but built the new system using a trial key on a fresh thumb drive. Now that i'm happy with the build, I want to move the config from the trial thumb drive, to my licensed one.  Anyone got any tips on how to do that?

I'm assuming that i can take the backup zip of the trial thumbdrive and... unzip it onto the licensed thumbdrive.... delete /config/Trial.key and replace it with the old /config/Pro.key? Is that all there is to it?

1 hour ago, trurl said:

I think there is something related to config/super.dat (your disk assignments) with a trial key. I have never needed to deal with that. Make sure you have a screenshot or something in case you need to reassign your disks. Hopefully someone else will chime in with more information.

Interesting.  Thanks.  I guess that should be fairly obvious if I boot it and it’s complaining about the config. Or... doesn’t show the disk drop downs populated.

Solved.

It's pretty easy. 

The steps under 'what if i cant backup my device' lead me to the answer.

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Changing_The_Flash_Device#:~:text=Simply install Unraid to a,button the Tools%2FRegistration page.

The scenario wasn't quite the same but this worked.  Since i had the build that i wanted on a new USB drive that i also wanted, all i had to do was replace the config/Trial.key with my Pro.key from my old drive ( registered in 2011! ).  Once in unraid was booted, it saw the Pro license and gave me the option to generate a new key file for the new drive.  Up and running now.