Unraid Docker API

frakman1

@Squid

Can you please tell me what docker command I could run that returns the values in the table that gets displayed when I click on "Container SIze"?

image.png.fd3e37440d54c3f423e6df6652398333.png

I want to be able to graph the output of this data over time to see which containers are growing. I've already used the "limit-log-files" extra parameter trick but still see the docker.img file growing over time.

I've tried using "docker system df -v" among others but nothing has displayed a similar table as the "Container Size" one.

Edited by frakman1
10 minutes ago, frakman1 said:

@Squid

Can you please tell me what docker command I could run that returns the values in the table that gets displayed when I click on "Container SIze"?

image.png.fd3e37440d54c3f423e6df6652398333.png

I want to be able to graph the output of this data over time to see which containers are growing. I've already used the "limit-log-files" extra parameter trick but still see the docker file growing over time.

I've tried using "docker system df -v" among others but nothing has displayed a similar table as the "Container Size" one.

You can do this (its a bit slow on my system, be patient)

docker container ls -sa --format 'table {{.Names}}\t{{.Size}}'

If you want the full data you can drop the --format part.  -s means size, -a means all (so that it will show both active and inactive containers) 

Multiple commands are needed to get the info.  And it's not always 100% reliable due to how docker sometimes works, along with other overhead which is present in the docker.img file

But, you're looking at 

docker ps -sa --format='{{.Names}}|{{.Size}}'

and 

docker inspect --format='{{.LogPath}}' NAME_OF_CONTAINER_HERE|xargs du -b 2>/dev/null |cut -f1

• Like 1

I found the following ports using netstat but they don't look like the standard port numbers mentioned in the documentation (port 2375) and they are all ipv6.

@Squid Any ideas how to access the REST API remotely?

# netstat -tulpn | grep LISTEN | grep docker
tcp6       0      0 :::6090                 :::*                    LISTEN      20241/docker-proxy  
tcp6       0      0 :::8112                 :::*                    LISTEN      19128/docker-proxy  
tcp6       0      0 :::8118                 :::*                    LISTEN      19115/docker-proxy  
tcp6       0      0 :::58846                :::*                    LISTEN      19102/docker-proxy  
tcp6       0      0 :::6080                 :::*                    LISTEN      20255/docker-proxy  
tcp6       0      0 :::58946                :::*                    LISTEN      19074/docker-proxy  

I found a different workaround. Rather than trying to enable the HTTP REST API by changing the dockerd statup option, I decided to use the built-in feature of the docker client to use the ssh protocol to access a remote docker server. This requires that you've already setup public/private key ssh access to your UnRAID server (details here)

Once that is working, I can just run this from my client:

$docker -H ssh://root@tower:22 ps
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                   COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS                PORTS           blahh blah

Edited by frakman1
  • 2 years later...

a bit of a necro-post, but I was having a play around with this earlier, and to get it working you just need to put

DOCKER_OPTS="-H tcp://0.0.0.0:2376 -H unix:///var/run/docker.sock"

into /boot/config/docker.cfg

of course, you then get the warning...

WARNING: API is accessible on http://0.0.0.0:2376 without encryption.
         Access to the remote API is equivalent to root access on the host. Refer
         to the 'Docker daemon attack surface' section in the documentation for
         more information: https://docs.docker.com/go/attack-surface/

And the Docker Start Stop page in the UI cracks the whoops a bit as well....

I'm actually now moving onto using a dockersocket proxy container instead (tecnativa/docker-socket-proxy)

Edited by Meles Meles