Losing video signal on console AFTER Unraid finished booting

dnLL

Pretty much title, new Supermicro X11SCH-LN4F motherboard, I do everything from the HTML5 or JAVA console, and it works fine to POST, I get the blue Unraid bootloader, then I see the drivers loading in and... boom, no more video signal. WebUI works just fine, but I'd like to keep my console working ideally. Any ideas? It does work fine if I plug a monitor directly to the motherboard (no discrete GPU). At the same time, the console works just fine with other OSes.

Found the issue.

Aug  8 19:25:45 server root: Starting go script
Aug  8 19:25:45 server kernel: Linux agpgart interface v0.103
Aug  8 19:25:45 server kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0003)
Aug  8 19:25:45 server kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: can't derive routing for PCI INT A
Aug  8 19:25:45 server kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: PCI INT A: not connected
Aug  8 19:25:45 server kernel: [drm] VT-d active for gfx access
Aug  8 19:25:45 server kernel: checking generic (91000000 300000) vs hw (80000000 10000000)
Aug  8 19:25:45 server kernel: [drm] Replacing VGA console driver
Aug  8 19:25:45 server kernel: [drm] Supports vblank timestamp caching Rev 2 (21.10.2013).
Aug  8 19:25:45 server kernel: [drm] Driver supports precise vblank timestamp query.
Aug  8 19:25:45 server kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: BAR 6: can't assign [??? 0x00000000 flags 0x20000000] (bogus alignment)
Aug  8 19:25:45 server kernel: [drm] Failed to find VBIOS tables (VBT)
Aug  8 19:25:45 server kernel: [drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20180719 for 0000:00:02.0 on minor 0
Aug  8 19:25:45 server kernel: [drm] Cannot find any crtc or sizes
Aug  8 19:25:45 server kernel: [drm] Cannot find any crtc or sizes
Aug  8 19:25:45 server kernel: [drm] Finished loading DMC firmware i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_04.bin (v1.4)

Which comes from:

root@server:~# cat /boot/config/go
#!/bin/bash

#Set up drivers for HW transcoding in Plex
modprobe i915
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

Might be useful for someone else, if you enabled modprobe i915 and then suddently swaps hardware... it might become a problem. Now I will need to figure out how to do hardware transcoding with this new server based off the E-2278G IGP but that's for another thread ;-).

Edited by dnLL

in this case you can't have your cake and eat it, too.  The IPG is either going to be used for the motherboard hdmi port or it's going to be used for transcoding, not both at the same time.  I believe that is your problem.  This is where IPMI comes into play.

Or actually you mean you lose the IPMI video when it boots? Yeah, welcome to the headache.

Search for a couple topics about this on the forum already, it's been discussed and seems to be sorted out on how to get the X11 (C246) boards to have IGP transcoding with full IPMI KVM working.  I believe it's a BIOS setting.

Specifically:

Edited by Energen

If you figure it out for your X11SCH-LN4F, please let us know. It’s definitely possible with the X11SCA-F but the BIOS is different than what is on our motherboards (I have a X11SCH-F). I’ve tried a lot of things but I haven’t switched to EFI boot or called Supermicro for support. Someone got it working on ServeTheHomw but didn’t post a lot of details about what they did and we’re using a different Linux OS.

Not sure about these Supermicro boards but the ASRock IPMI server board I am using behaves the same way and I really don't expect it to be different.

With the iGPU enabled in the BIOS for Plex transcoding the KVM video output via the IPMI console is lost when the iGPU drivers are loaded.  This happens at the point modprobe i915 runs from the go file and takes over the video output.

You cannot have video output simultaneously from both the BMC/onboard VGA and the iGPU.  As soon as the iGPU video drivers are given control, there is no output to the VGA port or the KVM.  

This does not really bother me as I can get console output via the unRAID terminal, PuTTY, etc.

Again, the Supermicro BIOS may magically enable both somehow, but the ASRock IPMI boards (I have two) do not.

I am OK with the tradeoff in order to use the iGPU for transcoding.

7 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Again, the Supermicro BIOS may magically enable both somehow, but the ASRock IPMI boards (I have two) do not.

I thought you, or maybe it was someone else, had got a beta BIOS from ASRock that enabled IPMI+iGPU at the same time?

I've read and re-read those threads a couple times while not _actually_ paying much attention because I didn't have a new board yet, but I thought the end result was that people got this working.  And then the X11SCA board was thought to have been solved also, which while being in the same family as the LN4F might actually have a different BIOS with different abilities.

3 hours ago, Energen said:

I thought you, or maybe it was someone else, had got a beta BIOS from ASRock that enabled IPMI+iGPU at the same time?

Yes, this is true.  The BIOS provided by ASRock does allow the iGPU to be used for transcoding while also still having IPMI/BMC active for all functions except video output.  This is working great.

What it does not do is keep the video output to the VGA port/KVM active once the i915 iGPU drivers are loaded. 

The iGPU has no path to the VGA port so there is no video output (just transcoding) when it is loaded.  Loading the iGPU deactivates the video output from the BMC to the VGA port as the BMC is no longer the active onboard video adapter. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hoopster said:

Yes, this is true.  The BIOS provided by ASRock does allow the iGPU to be used for transcoding while also still having IPMI/BMC active for all functions except video output.  This is working great.

What it does not do is keep the video output to the VGA port/KVM active once the i915 iGPU drivers are loaded. 

The iGPU has no path to the VGA port so there is no video output (just transcoding) when it is loaded.  Loading the iGPU deactivates the video output from the BMC to the VGA port as the BMC is no longer the active onboard video adapter. 

Ah, I see.  Maybe I'm giving too much emphasis to the need/desire to have IPMI and IGP at the same time, as realistically I'd generally only ever need the IPMI for BIOS settings, and once Unraid was running, what's the point of using IPMI.  I don't recall a time where I've needed to use the Unraid console through IPMI for anything.

I guess I need to re-read again or get clarification from @ramblinreck47 about the X11 board and how much IPMI / IGP ability there is.  I still haven't decided on an upgrade.