Cannot boot into GUI mode

I'm migrating to a new build and I'm having problems booting into GUI mode.

My specs are:

I see the boot selection menu and the commands that run whilst Unraid starts but I get a flashing caret at the point when the GUI should show up. I need the GUI because my NIC isn't supported in Unraid yet so I cannot access the web interface.

After looking at this thread it appears that I need to enable CSM on my motherboard. I'm having problems with this though and I can't get it to display anything at all, including the UEFI setup, when enabled (which im also looking into).

Is there a way to get the GUI operational without enabling CSM? What is the cause of this? I didn't have a problem on my older ASRock Z390M motherboard, it just worked out of the box.

Alternatively, how do I configure the network settings without being able to access the GUI? Can I do it through the command line?

Thanks!

Edited by joshkrz
spelling
13 hours ago, jonathanm said:

You can use the USB flash creator to get the beta.

Thanks for the tip, I didn't realise the USB creator could grab the beta version. My only question is how do I keep my current configuration?

Edited by joshkrz
Spelling

I managed to get CSM working on my motherboard which has allowed me to access the Unraid GUI.

I had to enable CSM but disable all of the options within it. I set the following options to Disabled / Do not run:

• Launch PXE OpROM Policy
  • Launch Storage OpROM Policy
  • Other PCI Device ROM Priority

I also turned off the boot image so it displays the POST, not sure if that helped.

It's worth noting that video only worked on the GPU, in the 1.40 motherboard firmware you cannot enable CSM if your running only on integrated graphics.

Edit: Can confirm that Unraid 6.9 Beta 25 boots properly when CSM is disabled.

Edit 2: Just to clarify I'm running a 10th Gen Intel i5 iGPU.

Edited by joshkrz
  • Thanks 2
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I do not want to start a new thread if my problem is the same, but requires different solution.

I am new in Unraid and using trial still.

I got a problem booting in GUI mode too on UEFI. Unfortunately CSM mode is disabled on MB. 

My config is

- Asrock x570m pro4

- Ryzen 5 pro 3400ge

- 2x16Gb Kingston DDR4 2666 ECC Udimm

Are there still options how to boot in UEFI with GUI? I read about "nomodeset" in config @USB stick, but I am not sure about right syntaxis.

Thanks in advance

CSM is disabled.jpg

On 9/8/2020 at 2:45 PM, koaly said:

Hi guys,

I do not want to start a new thread if my problem is the same, but requires different solution.

I am new in Unraid and using trial still.

I got a problem booting in GUI mode too on UEFI. Unfortunately CSM mode is disabled on MB. 

My config is

- Asrock x570m pro4

- Ryzen 5 pro 3400ge

- 2x16Gb Kingston DDR4 2666 ECC Udimm

Are there still options how to boot in UEFI with GUI? I read about "nomodeset" in config @USB stick, but I am not sure about right syntaxis.

Thanks in advance

CSM is disabled.jpg

That's strange that you have no options in that menu, check the other tabs to see if you have a global CSM switch.

You could also try using the latest Unraid Beta. I can boot using v6.9 Beta 25 with CSM disabled.

22 hours ago, joshkrz said:

That's strange that you have no options in that menu, check the other tabs to see if you have a global CSM switch.

You could also try using the latest Unraid Beta. I can boot using v6.9 Beta 25 with CSM disabled.

There is no other tab in Asrock's BIOS. I'm on 6.9 b25, but it does not load with GUI on my. Probably it's because you and I have different graphic chips. So, on integrated Radeon GUI does not work with UEFI + no CSM.

I am lucky that Asrock support is quick in responses and I have been told that due to AMD Renoir APUs will not have CSM enabled. Now Asrock cleared that out between different APU/CPUs and I received new BIOS 3.01 for Asrock x570m pro4 per email. Now I can switch on CSM.

But the problem remains: Unraid does not show GUI without CSM enabled in UEFI mode for at least Picasso APUs. How can I claim it to developers? I'll try at least.

• 2 weeks later...

I have requested Lime Tech support and at the end of the day it's said that they "cannot promise to make something work on specific hardware". As I understand, all AMD APUs with integrated Radeon graphics is not supported by GUI mode. Probably the AMD APU based NAS market is too small for Lime Tech to look at this issue. For me it would be sufficient if the company indicates that AMD APUs are out of range of the GUI features.

26 minutes ago, koaly said:

I have requested Lime Tech support and at the end of the day it's said that they "cannot promise to make something work on specific hardware". As I understand, all AMD APUs with integrated Radeon graphics is not supported by GUI mode. Probably the AMD APU based NAS market is too small for Lime Tech to look at this issue. For me it would be sufficient if the company indicates that AMD APUs are out of range of the GUI features.

Does the normal boot mode work?  Do you have to have GUI mode running?

Unraid boots both in normal and GUI mode. In the GUI mode display shows the loading process until the moment, when the login page must appear. Then the screen becomes blank with the blinking underscore in the left top corner.

I need GUI mode to manage Unraid locally.

CSM is not supported by new Renoir APUs. This is what Asrock has written me on my support request about disabled CSM.

9 hours ago, koaly said:

Unraid boots both in normal and GUI mode. In the GUI mode display shows the loading process until the moment, when the login page must appear. Then the screen becomes blank with the blinking underscore in the left top corner.

I need GUI mode to manage Unraid locally.

CSM is not supported by new Renoir APUs. This is what Asrock has written me on my support request about disabled CSM.

If you have a spare PCI-E slot you could opt for a super cheap GPU to get things running locally. It's not ideal by any means but it could get your setup working in the short term.