Storage and Performance - Post Your Results!

msobon

So I gueess this is an offtopic but we're all storage users!!

I did some benchmarks on my current setups as I'm moving to unraid (need for more cost affective storage) but i'm also perfomance junkie and jsut wondering what people are getting on their drives. below are some benches I've run:

You Can get the Benchmark tool here:

http://www.sobon.ca/Unraid/AS%20SSD%20Benchmark.zip

OCZ 120GB Revodrive PCI-Express SSD (basically two SSD's on a Raid 0)

OCZ%20SSD%20120GB%20PCIE.jpg

Two 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 RPM 32MB in Windows Mirror

Western%20Digital%207200RPM%201TB%20in%20software%20Mirror.jpg

Promise Supertrack 8350 with 4x Seagate 1.5TB 7200RPM and 4x WD 1.5TB Green 5900RPM in a Raid 6 config

(I ordered wrong drives and didn't bother exchanging hence the miss match, must hinder the potential for better performance but still gives good results)

Promise%20Raid%206.jpg

Drool-worthy results.  Here's my crude benchmarks in using two different budget SSDs as cache drives in unRAID (just as straight drives, no RAID 0):

SSDs as cache

The gist of it is that the fastest speed I saw was around 73 MB/s, which is only about 10 MB/s faster than a 7200 rpm drive.  Not terribly inspiring.  My conclusion was that SSDs as cache drives are not worth it for the performance benefits, but still may be worth it for the low power and lack of spin-up lag.

Umm, who uses SSD's with unRAID? having SSD speds is unrealistic. Of course they are going to be super fast, very fast. Seeing speed tests with real world setups would be more constructive in my opinion.

People using an SSD IN there array is not a very good/constructive use for one.  When I rebuild my server in a new case in the next couple of months I plan on using an SSD for a VMWare install.