Easy way to replace a disk? With out having array rebuild data?

So is it possible to swap disks and not have the array rebuild the info on the new disk?   In my array I have a 4Tb seagate barracuda. I want to get rid of it as it isn't a NAS drive like all the other drives in my array. Could I copy the info on the barracuda to another drive and leave that slot empty in the array or move the disk i copied the info to, into that slot? I just got a few 12TB WD reds for my array so was wondering about switching out that 4TB barracuda for one of the 12 TB reds.  I just don't want the array to have to rebuild the data if I can help it. I am thinking it would take less time to transfer the data then it would for the array to rebuild that data. I just dont want that slot empty in my Jbod, don't ask why just an OCD thing of mine I guess. I am asking because I don't want to break anything as it is running great right now.

I'm not personally aware, but is there a reason you don't want to rebuild? The data is available as its rebuilding, it's not like it shuts the entire system out like it used to, if I recall.

(Note: I totally understand your train of thought, and I'm not trying to *not* answer your question. Only trying to figure out if it's worth it for you to shut the array down, remove the drive, have it unprotected if another drive fails while you have the 4TB out, etc. I've found that it rebuilds it pretty quickly, but everyone's mileage may vary)

3 minutes ago, brimnac said:

I'm not personally aware, but is there a reason you don't want to rebuild? The data is available as its rebuilding, it's not like it shuts the entire system out like it used to, if I recall.

(Note: I totally understand your train of thought, and I'm not trying to *not* answer your question. Only trying to figure out if it's worth it for you to shut the array down, remove the drive, have it unprotected if another drive fails while you have the 4TB out, etc. I've found that it rebuilds it pretty quickly, but everyone's mileage may vary)

I just think that it would be faster if I was able to move the files instead of rebuilding them. The disk is in good shape its not failing or anything I just dont want it in the array anymore as I would prefer to have only NAS rated drives in there. 

9 minutes ago, whitewraith said:

I just think that it would be faster if I was able to move the files instead of rebuilding them. The disk is in good shape its not failing or anything I just dont want it in the array anymore as I would prefer to have only NAS rated drives in there. 

If you're going from physical disk to physical disk, I haven't noticed a speed increase worth the hassle! Obviously do what you want, but I have found that doing things the recommended way saves me a bunch of time... mostly because I have to end up doing it the recommended way at the end of the day, anyway!

Sounds like shrinking the array is what you want to do. Wiki already linked. Copy or move the data to other disks then follow the wiki. I personally recommend the rebuild parity method in that wiki, I think some have had problems with the clear script.

Also would mention that I don't think there is any good reason to do what you want to do.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Squid said:

Rebuilding a drive rebuilds it with the same format (ReiserFS) as the original does.  Under ideal circumstances, you should switch your drives over to XFS

Yikes- What would be the best way to do that?  use unbalance and pull all the info to other drives and then manually format said drive and unbalance files evenly?  

Changing the filesystem of a disk requires reformat, so if there is anything on the disk you want to keep you have to move it elsewhere with whatever method. Unbalance is one possibility. I usually just use the builtin Midnight Commander (mc from the command line) to manage files on the disks.