Syslog to Unassigned Drive?

The current setup of Unraid allows for it to be a syslog server.  But the setting only allow you to select a share on the RAID.  Syslogs aren't something I find worthy of RAID redundancy and by forcing the syslog to a raid share, that disk never spins down.

Is there a way to have the syslog directory reside on a unassigned drive?  I currently have an unassigned drive that's mounted as backup (\\tdm\backup\) and I'd love to have the syslogs there rather than on the RAID.  Does anyone know how it can be done?

Edited by dalben
  • 6 months later...
2 hours ago, Boyturtle said:

Did you get anywhere with this? I've got my syslogs writing to (and annihilating) my cache drives and I'd like to move them to a WD Purple that I have as an unassigned drive instead.

I am surprised this matters as normally not that much is written to the syslog.   Other things writing to the cache (e.g. docker containers) is far more likely to be writing many orders of magnitude more data to it.  Writing to the ‘flash’ drive is different as that has far more limited number of write cycles.

22 hours ago, Boyturtle said:

Did you get anywhere with this? I've got my syslogs writing to (and annihilating) my cache drives and I'd like to move them to a WD Purple that I have as an unassigned drive instead.

No, I didn't.  Not possible, not sure if it will be posssible.

20 hours ago, itimpi said:

I am surprised this matters as normally not that much is written to the syslog.   Other things writing to the cache (e.g. docker containers) is far more likely to be writing many orders of magnitude more data to it.  Writing to the ‘flash’ drive is different as that has far more limited number of write cycles.

The syslog server in unraid serves everything in my house.  Routers, WAP, hubs, etc.  Anything that can utilise a syslog server has it's logs sent to the unraid syslog service.  Ideally I'd love for it to be a disk outside of the array if for no reason other than that would be my preference.