(SOLVED) Unmountable: No file system

Hello,

I have just setup as of a few days ago an unRAID NAS for the first time ever. Everything had been going fine, but I was waiting on my case to arrive so it had just been an open bench setup until today. Case arrived, I stopped the array and then did a clean shutdown. Then moved everything into the case and now one of my drives is saying "Unmountable: No file system".

Rather than trying to troubleshoot this myself via google, I figured I should probably post here before I make some mistakes that potentially make my data unrecoverable, as I am very new to unRAID and not really sure what I am doing.

I'm going to attach the Tools>Diagnostics .zip, if anything else is needed please let me know, and thanks.

unRAID version: 6.9.0-beta25 (saw posts on google about having to use the beta because my Realtek® RTL8125B 2.5Gbps LAN controller wasn't supported otherwise, apparently.)

tower-diagnostics-20200813-1509.zip

Edited by Neejrow

So I am slowly browsing this forum looking for suggestions for this issue, and I believe I have come across the right path to go down. xfs_repair.

However, it seems I am unable to use xfs_repair in the webgui on 6.9.0-b25 and as such am kind of a bit stuck now as to how to do the repair check. I'm a little worried about trying it through the command line as I don't want to select the wrong drive/partition.

How do I go about selecting the correct drive via command line?

Yes was simply just mounting the board & drives into a case. I am not using SAS cards or anything, just the motherboard SATA ports for 5 HDD's & cache on an M.2 NVme slot on the board.

Could it be a faulty SATA data cable? I may have changed the cable inadvertently because I had like 7 sata data cables there in a tangle but only 5 being used.

Looking at the diags this might be an xfs issue/bug:

Aug 13 15:07:16 Tower kernel: XFS (md3): Internal error !uuid_equal(&mp->m_sb.sb_uuid, &head->h_fs_uuid) at line 278 of file fs/xfs/xfs_log_recover.c.  Caller xlog_header_check_mount+0x4d/0x96 [xfs]

You can try installing latest xfs_progs (5.7.0), it might help, download from here then put the txz file on a folder called "extra" on your flash drive, reboot, after boot check that it loaded (xfs_repair -V) and run it again on disk3.

Whether it helps or not don't forget to then remove the extra folder on the flash after it's done.

13 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

You can try installing latest xfs_progs (5.7.0), it might help, download from here then put the txz file on a folder called "extra" on your flash drive, reboot, after boot check that it loaded (xfs_repair -V) and run it again on disk3.

Sorry I'm incredibly new to this and sort of Linux in general. can I simply use something like Krusader Docker to add this file via a GUI or do I need to type in some console commands to download this file and make a folder etc to flash?

Or have I misunderstood completely and I can plugin my unRAID USB to my Windows PC and make the folder and drag that .txz file onto the USB?

Edited by Neejrow

Okay so I decided to just put it into my Windows PC and make the folder and put the .txz file inside, booted up unRAID and ran the xfs_repair -v and it did stuff. Unfortunately the console window was enormous and I was unable to scroll all the way up to the beginning. Is there any way to view the log of what happened somewhere?

Anyway, just started the array and the drive is mounted! Thank you so much @johnnie.black you have saved the day.

Should I do some sort of parity check now to make sure everything is all fine?

Edited by Neejrow
5 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Everything should be fine, you can look for a lost+found folder on that disk, any lost/partial files would be there, but since it was a superblock issue there probably won't be any.

There is actually over 60GB of files in lost+found and I have lost a bunch of data just by having a quick look through my Plex / Shadowplay folders.

A quick google tells me I basically can't do anything with most of these files in lost+found and that anything that wasn't really a photo (which seem to still be working in lost+found) is corrupted and unusable? 

Edited by Neejrow

Thankfully I have a backup of all my photos / important documents. So I have not lost anything important and am willing to just move ahead. All I have lost is some Movies and some NVIDIA Shadowplay game footage which I probably wouldn't really ever do anything with anyway.