HELP - Something created a duplicated 'media' share called 'Media'

I store all of my movie and TV show files in a share called 'media'.

I've been working on updating all of the media info over the last couple of days (mostly adding NFO files), and this morning a duplicate share appeared called 'Media'. It shows as empty, and when I navigate into it and then back out in Windows File Explorer, my 'media' share is highlighted, indicating that the two are linked somehow.

After 10-15 minutes of having my server booted, everything disappears from my 'media' share and only comes back after a reboot.

I checked all Docker configs and nothing is referencing a capital M 'Media' share - only 'media'. In the 'Shares' tab only 'Media' shows - I can no longer see my 'media' share with the actual files.

I'm really nervous that I'm going to somehow lose the share and the data on it and am hoping someone can help me resolve the issue. I'm thinking the worst case scenario is me just moving the files to another share and then deleting both media shares and recreating them?

There has to be something configured to create a folder with the same spelling but different capitalisation. 

once you get into that scenario and folders with both spelling exist on your array, then since SMB shares are case independent but Linux is case dependant only one of the two variants will end up being visible over the network.    Which one it is is difficult to predict.    The only fix is to go in at the disk level to sort this out by renaming the folders on the drives to identical spelling (including case).

2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

There has to be something configured to create a folder with the same spelling but different capitalisation. 

once you get into that scenario and folders with both spelling exist on your array, then since SMB shares are case independent but Linux is case dependant only one of the two variants will end up being visible over the network.    Which one it is is difficult to predict.    The only fix is to go in at the disk level to sort this out by renaming the folders on the drives to identical spelling (including case).

Do you have any idea why they wouldn't both be visible under the 'Shares' tab in the Unraid web UI then?

On the console use the ls command to check the content of each disk e.g.

ls -l /mnt/cache
ls -l /mnt/disk1
ls -l /mnt/disk2
and so on till the last disk in your array

It will help you find out which disk has the Media folder vs media folder

Also would be a good idea to attach diagnostics (Tools -> Diagnostics -> attach zip file to your next post).

3 minutes ago, testdasi said:

On the console use the ls command to check the content of each disk e.g.

ls -l /mnt/cache
ls -l /mnt/disk1
ls -l /mnt/disk2
and so on till the last disk in your array

It will help you find out which disk has the Media folder vs media folder

Also would be a good idea to attach diagnostics (Tools -> Diagnostics -> attach zip file to your next post).

Edit: All of my disks show the 'media' folder, but only disk 3 shows the 'Media' folder. Can I delete it? I'm not sure if that will make a difference considering 'media' isn't listed under Shares in the web UI - only 'Media' is.

Also, attached are my diagnostics.

emrys-diagnostics-20200813-1032.zip

Edited by HALPtech

You will never see shares listed which have the same name but different capitalisation as this is incompatible with SMB.   The best thing at this point to do is to rename the Media folder on disk3 to something else so that it has a different name (and thus shows up as a different share) which will allow you to check its contents (if any).

if you do not know why this happened in the first place then it is likely to happen again.

4 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You will never see shares listed which have the same name but different capitalisation as this is incompatible with SMB.   The best thing at this point to do is to rename the Media folder on disk3 to something else so that it has a different name (and thus shows up as a different share) which will allow you to check its contents (if any).

if you do not know why this happened in the first place then it is likely to happen again.

Any idea where I can start digging to find out why this is happening? I checked the Docker configs and nothing there references a 'Media' folder.

And I checked user scripts as well - nothing there.

Edited by HALPtech