UPDATE TO 6.8.3 BREAKS UNRAID !!!! DO NOT UPGRADE

emod

I upgraded to 6.8.3 yesterday. Before that I did usual update of all apps and addons. Upon upgrade:

- "APPS" CANNOT be accessed any more

- PLUGINS tab takes >3 minutes to load

- DOCKER tab takes >5 minutes to load

- Most DOCKER icons display "?".

- Some APPs are stopped and won't restart.

- Update of apps and plugins is not available.

I donwgraded to 6.8.2.

EVERYTHING REMAINED BROKEN (ALL OF ABOVE PLUS!! BELOW)). in addition:

- APPS tab doesn't load any apps. NO APPS!

- Another one: INTERNET CONNECTION IS BROKEN. SERVER cannot contact GitHub any longer.

- Another update:

• ANY CLICK, ON ANY TAB, anywhere! takes over a minute to load.
  • UNRAID tabs now won't load anylonger. Dashboard shows only Motherboard and Processor icons, and nothing else.
  • Diagnostics Tab will not load at all.
  • Main tab displays Devices and Cache....none of the controls ath the bottom for starting or stopping arra.
    • (ALL DISCS ARE IN GOOD HEALTH)
  • Shares tab: BLANK!!!!!!!!
  • Settings tab: displays all icons.
  • Docker tab: BLANK!

- Another update: )This day JUST keeps getting better)

• DOCKER tab - completely gone. The entire TAB is gone!

Cannot access diagnostics via GUI....the tab simply won't load.

NICE, VERY NICE!!! REALLY NICE JOB GUYS!!!

I have never, EVER seen anything like this. So many errors.

THIS UPGRADE BREAKS UNRAID.

WHY DID YOU RELEASE THIS UPDATE??????????

WHO IS GOING TO FIX WHAT THIS UPGRADE DID TO THIS SERVER?

Edited by emod

A very large group of users is using version 6.8.3 without any issue for quite some time (including myself)

something wrong at your side. Start with uploading diagnostics so people here can give more accurate help.

Oh, perhaps better change the title, would create more willingness to help.

Edited by bonienl
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, bonienl said:

A very large group of users is using version 6.8.3 without any issue for quite some time (including myself)

something wrong at your side. Start with uploading diagnostics so people here can give more accurate help.

Oh, perhaps better change the title, would create more willingness to help.

"A very large group of users is using version 6.8.3 without any issue for quite some time (including myself)"

Prove it.

Change title to WHAT? Any suggestions?

Diagnostics from where?

Edited by emod

@emod I am among the very large group of users who have been running unRAID 6.8.3 for many months with zero issues.  I am running it on three servers with absolutely none of the issues you reported.

Do you really think it would have been released if what you describe is a general problem?

Most of your problems are likely related to the fact that your network/Internet connection is not working.  As mentioned, the diagnostics will be helpful.

Tools --> Diagnostics from the GUI or type 'diagnostics' at the CLI in a terminal session.

I rebooted a little over two weeks ago due to a drive change or it would have been running 6.8.3 uninterrupted for over two months.

image.thumb.png.7b93b0f5cbbdc2ae18edee1e4f7bbe7a.png

Edited by Hoopster
39 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

@emod I am among the very large group of users who have been running unRAID 6.8.3 for many months with zero issues.  I am running it on three servers with absolutely none of the issues you reported.

Do you really think it would have been released if what you describe is a general problem?

Most of your problems are likely related to the fact that your network/Internet connection is not working.  As mentioned, the diagnostics will be helpful.

Tools --> Diagnostics from the GUI or type 'diagnostics' at the CLI in a terminal session.

I rebooted a little over two weeks ago due to a drive change or it would have been running 6.8.3 uninterrupted for over two months.

image.thumb.png.7b93b0f5cbbdc2ae18edee1e4f7bbe7a.png

"Do you really think it would have been released if what you describe is a general problem?"

Yes.

RE internet problems:

I have not changed a single setting on my router or my server that even remotely pertains to ports or local network. The only thing that was done was updating UNRAID. Nothing else. Given that no other network changes happened, I can safely say that the UNRAID update did something wrong.

Btw, internet/network problems would not make "Docker" tab disappear.

Edited by emod
23 minutes ago, testdasi said:

to "I'm ignorant and have no clue so please help me"?

Seriously mate, screaming like Donald Trump is gonna get you less help, not more.

And replying/commenting like one won't help either.

I posted a serious problems to alert other users. You downplaying it or making fun of it (or making a political issue out of it) will not make it any less sever - it will just raise questions if you are trying to silence someone because there is a problem that you do not know solution to. It erodes your credibility, not mine.

Edited by emod

Not to pile on, but had you even read the 6.8.3 release announcement thread you would have seen the bountiful number of users who have upgraded to 6.8.3 stable ages ago. Yes, you posted a serious problem for you, but not others, without doing the least bit of troubleshooting or investigation and screaming about it in all caps nonetheless. You over-reacted so expect others to over-react in kind.

You have already been given sound advice on the first step to take -- post your Diagnostics file, and have done so ... but then you continued to carry on afterwards, so I'll be surprised if anyone even sees the post with the file required to assist in troubleshooting since it's now quite a few posts back.

Here's some critical advice:

Stop.

Breathe.

Relax.

Wait.

Wait for others to take time out of their own busy day and begin to look through your logs.

Unraid 6.8.3 is perfectly fine and stable. I didn't upgrade immediately and still have 158 days of uptime on it without any issues.

image.png.bc078f1c5c1b15cbd493174ab8659131.png

Edited by BRiT
Pics or it never happened ...
11 minutes ago, emod said:

"Do you really think it would have been released if what you describe is a general problem?"

Yes.

LOL

11 minutes ago, emod said:

RE internet problems:

I have not changed a single setting on my router or my server that even remotely pertains to ports or local network. The only thing that was done was updating UNRAID. Nothing else. Given that no other network changes happened, I can safely say that the UNRAID update did something wrong.

Obviously something happened during the update.  It does not happen to everyone and something in the interplay of the Linux kernel, drivers, etc. and your hardware caused some things to go bonkers.

13 minutes ago, emod said:

Btw, internet/network problems would not make "Docker" tab disappear.

Not direclty, perhaps, but, there are usually cascading issues when there are network problems.

Bottom line; do you want help solving the problem, or do you just want to complain that the 6.8.3 upgrade broke your server and no one should upgrade to that release (even though most users probably already have done so)?

There are plenty here wiling to help but you still have not posted your diagnostics.

5 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

LOL

Obviously something happened during the update.  It does not happen to everyone and something in the interplay of the Linux kernel, drivers, etc. and your hardware caused some things to go bonkers.

Not direclty, perhaps, but, there are usually cascading issues when there are network problems.

Bottom line; do you want help solving the problem, or do you just want to complain that the 6.8.3 upgrade broke your server and no one should upgrade to that release (even though most users probably already have done so)?

There are plenty here wiling to help but you still have not posted your diagnostics.

I posted diagnostics 20 minutes before you posted your comment. Why are writing that I have not posted diagnostics?

Edited by emod
7 minutes ago, BRiT said:

Not to pile on, but had you even read the 6.8.3 release announcement thread you would have seen the bountiful number of users who have upgraded to 6.8.3 stable ages ago. Yes, you posted a serious problem for you, but not others, without doing the least bit of troubleshooting or investigation and screaming about it in all caps nonetheless. You over-reacted so expect others to over-react in kind.

You have already been given sound advice on the first step to take -- post your Diagnostics file, and have done so ... but then you continued to carry on afterwards, so I'll be surprised if anyone even sees the post with the file required to assist in troubleshooting since it's now quite a few posts back.

Here's some critical advice:

Stop.

Breathe.

Relax.

Wait.

Wait for others to take time out of their own busy day and begin to look through your logs.

I'll be glad to wait and follow intelligent advice, but apparently one user finds it important to make a political statement, another one makes personal attacks, and so on. I pointed a problem at UNRAID software, not at any person on this forum. Instead of trying to solve the problem, some are engaging in personal attacks. You think that helps?

16 minutes ago, emod said:

I'll be glad to wait and follow intelligent advice, but apparently one user finds it important to make a political statement, another one makes personal attacks, and so on. I pointed a problem at UNRAID software, not at any person on this forum. Instead of trying to solve the problem, some are engaging in personal attacks. You think that helps?

YOU started this mess by being overly dramatic, instead of properly asking for assistance.

Edited by StevenD
typo
  • Like 2

I am another one of many who had no problems with that version (which has been out for 5 months now).

The fact that downgrading also didn't help you makes it even more likely that something is wrong on your end. My guess would be a corrupt flash drive though that isn't apparent in your syslog.

Those diagnostics were taken without the array started. Can you start the array and post new diagnostics?

Also, a screenshot of Main might help.

Have you tried booting in SAFE mode?

Do you have a backup of flash?

35 minutes ago, StevenD said:

YOU started this mess by being overly dramatic, instead of properly asking for assistance.

I raised an issue in CAPS, consistent with the severity of problem that I encountered, and which showed SEVERELY corrupted UNRAID functions that might even have corrupted personal data on my disk (maybe that's another discovery).

I attacked the problem, you attack me. Is that "proper" action in your mind? Is that example you are trying to set?

Why don't you ask yourself what is the "proper action" to reacting to issues raised: attack the problem or attack the person?

Edited by emod
14 minutes ago, ljm42 said:

The network is setup for bonding, is that intentional? Delete config/network.cfg from the flashdrive and reboot. This will regenerate the network config

Good question. For all things I modified on UNRAID I followed SpaceinvaderOne videos - so maybe there were network changes there? Still, I haven't installed or removed anything on UNRAID in over 6 months, and had restarted the server 4-5 times during that time. I did not encounter issue like the one today.

I'll delete config/network.cfg from the flash drive, reboot and see what happens.

44 minutes ago, trurl said:

Also, I see from one of your previous threads that pfsense is involved in your network. Can you temporarily eliminate that to see if it helps anything?

I'm not sure what you mean by "eliminate that"?

I already looked into pfsense: no changes made since May this year (firewall rules and NAT are set up correctly). From pfsense I can ping UNRAID just fine. DHCP server correctly assigns a static IP to UNRAID server: the assignment is active. Server is using the same gateway like the wifi for few other devices. If access to internet were not possible, those devices wouldn't have access to internet either.

Edited by emod
1 minute ago, emod said:

I'll delete config/network.cfg from the flash drive, reboot and see what happens.

I noticed the same thing.  Bonded NICs.  Generally, this is not an issue and your bond does appear to have initialized properly in the syslog.  There were some issues with bonded NICs with certain NIC drivers but that usually resulted in the bond failing to initialize.

Forcing the creation of a new network.cfg should eliminate that as a variable. 

6.8.3 changelog does not report any changes to NIC drivers although an OOT Intel igb driver was added in 6.8.2.

Your NICs are using the Intel e1000e drivers.