Steam / Unassigned Devices Crash

Last week I had a bit of a miniature crisis with my Unraid server that required me to rebuild the USB boot device that Unraid uses.  Fortunately all I had to do was pull up a backup to find the disk assignments, but it was scary to say the least.

The background is that I have a 1TB SSD that is SMB shared with the Unassigned Devices plugin.  On this drive is a Steam library.

So there I was playing a Steam game over a 10GBe connection, and the gaming computer crashed.  No big deal right?  Wrong.  I got the gaming computer back up and then I noticed odd behavior on the Unraid server.  Parts of the web UI wouldn't load.  

So I did what I thought was reasonable.  I restarted the Unraid server.  Then I spent the next hour trying to get back into the Unraid GUI. 

Remote connections wouldn't work over web browsers that were working just hours before (Firefox, Chrome, Chroium Edge).  The error received was "Connection refused."  However, the server IP address could be pinged successfully.

Even when booted into GUI mode or GUI Safe Mode (no plugins), the web interface remained inaccessible with the "Connection refused" error.

So, I shut down the server, plugged in the thumb drive to the gaming computer, and Windows Explorer was slow/crashing with that thumb drive plugged in, and I actually had to plug it into a Mac just to format it exFat so that I could begin the process of re-installing Unraid on the thumb drive.

Has anyone seen anything like this happen?

Future steps: Would this not occur if the Steam library was part of the array and/or cache and using the built-in Unraid shares method?

TLDR: Client computer crashed while connected to a SMB share with games on it, requiring that Unraid USB stick be completely reformatted and Unraid re-installed.