[Article] Docker Hub to delete 4.5 PB of images

binhex

14 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

So as long as anybody using the tagged image deletes unraid's docker image and recreates it, they are fine for 6 months?

as long as there are pulls of an image at least every 6 months then the image should still exist on docker hub, but if the image hasnt been pulled (which it may not be if its an older image) then it will be removed.

If the user using the older tagged image then has to wipe and re-create their docker image then they will be unable to pull down the older tagged image anymore - a user could prevent this by archiving the image or container on disk.

• 4 months later...
6 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Well I just ran into the pull rate limit on Zoneminder.  I went ahead and signed up for the Pro docker subscription.  $60 a year for all my dockers.

you know authenticating with a free account on docker hub doubles your pull rate from anonymous, right? 200 pulls every 6 hours is quite a bit.

Edited by binhex
8 minutes ago, binhex said:

you know authenticating with a free account on docker hub doubles your pull rate from anonymous, right? 200 pulls every 6 hours is quite a bit.

Zoneminder is a beast.  The last time I checked, there were over 5 Million downloads over about 2 years.  Whenever I update the docker, it spikes.  I'll see how it goes.

11 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Whenever I update the docker, it spikes.  I'll see how it goes.

but the pull limit is for each user pulling from docker hub, i dont see how this is a problem for you as an individual - unless you are pulling down the image you just built over 200 times in 6 hours then you should be fine.

Edited by binhex
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1