Need good wifi to run UnRaid?

I just have a simple question, do you need to have a good wifi connection to connect to your “server”? Or can you just run an Ethernet cable from your monitor to the pc “server” itself? I just want to know before I spend a lot of money. Thanks in advance to anyone with answers

Unraid doesn't have wifi so it requires an ethernet connection to the network.

What do you mean about connecting a monitor by ethernet to the server? By "monitor" do you actually mean a display monitor, or do you mean another PC?

You can connect a display monitor directly to your server using whatever video capabilities and cable your server hardware and display monitor support. Ethernet isn't normally used to connect a display monitor to a computer.

Maybe something I am not understanding about your question.

Sorry, what I mean by this is how do you connect the UnRaid server itself to the WiFi and then over to the individual users? Because my WiFi isn’t exactly the fastest. So do you connect the monitors to the PC like you would normally? With HDMI or Display Port?

Ok so, do you need other actual computers to access the server itself? Or can you just straight up connect monitors to the separate GPU’s and they will function like their own computer? Sorry, I’m super new to all this and not great at explaining, thanks for helping me though means a lot.

18 minutes ago, YessiR said:

connect monitors to the separate GPU’s and they will function like their own computer?

Assuming the hardware is well chosen and works well, there is still a bit more that needs to be setup on the software side of it to actually make this happen. Unraid isn't really a multi-user operating system, but it can host VMs (Virtual Machines), which are like separate computers. These VMs can have their own monitor, keyboard, etc.

I have built a pc before, I just have no experience with VM’s. However I would consider myself a fast learner and do about 6-18 hrs of research before doing most things that cost over $500. Also I meant how fast of a connection it would need to connect, not to a GPU.

What do you want the VMs to connect to? We seem to be going around in circles here.

Each VM is a (virtual) computer. A VM can connect to the internet, it can connect to other machines on your network, including other VMs on the server. A faster connection is just that, a faster connection. There is no specific speed requirement for the network in order for you to have VMs. It would even be possible to setup a VM and then never use that VM to network with anything.

I don't really understand why you are asking about this.

I assume you have some experience with home networks and obviously you can access the internet. The VMs are just computers that would use your network in the same way any other computer would use your network.

Hello! I’m back again but for what I think is a fairly decent question.

If I wanted to run 2 windows 10 VM’s for gaming, approximately how much ram would each VM need to run smoothly, running at most a few chrome tabs open and some games like fortnite, GTA V, and minecraft?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by YessiR

Hi, I'm also new to virtual machines, but decided to do it.

I tell you my configuration.

Board: B550 Vision D (Double Ethernet, Double PCIe reinforced, enough USB 3.0, Maximum 128 GB of ECC RAM, 4 sata ports)

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

RAM: 32GB Ram, 3600Mhz

Cooling: 240ML Cooler Master (I have this cooling on the side of the chassis)

M.2: Nvme 500GB Samsung

Hard Drive: 4 TB

GPU 1: GTX 1660 Super TUF GAMING OC

GPU 2: GTX 1660 Super TUF GAMING OC

Power Source: 750W

Mid-Tower Chassis: XPG Invader (Watch out for tempered glass :), hehe)

Fans: Stock XPG Invader (1 120mm Fan on the top of the cabinet, 1 120mm Fan to perform the function of extractor)

Internet connection: 150 MB (Before I was 50 MB)

As secondary additional hardware

2 fit-headless GS (one for each HDMI input of each graphics card... without this you will require an HDMI cable in each machine connected to a screen... I bought it to play exclusively from parsec without having connected screens)

1 120mm Additional fan to cool graphics cards

1 UPS Generic

I broke the tempered glass of the XPG Invader and we built a filter with acrylic to replace the tempered glass (very similar to the front filter of the XPG Invader chassis, temperatures are excellent)

With this configuration I have 2 virtual machines with GPUs, physical Ethernet and Windows 10

I really recommend this Link

https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/guide-remote-gaming-on-unraid/4248

There you can find tips to take into account before building virtual machines.

And you can also find the guide for when you already have the virtual machines.

Regarding the experience I have had. I have been 2 days. with this configuration and unraid. at the moment we have GTA V , Rocket League, Warzone on both virtual machines running at the same time, with monitors and keyboards at the same time (we have also played with Parsec).

We divide the cores of the Ryzen 3700x like this in the Guide. 50% of the cores and 60% of the graphics cards are used.

additionally, the isolation of the nuclei was carried out for greater performance

I'll leave this here in case you need to configure the graphics cards to the virtual machines (The guide only indicates how to use a graphics card with a single virtual machine, I needed 2 and required to perform the following configuration)

http://IP-UNRAID/Main/Flash?name=flash

-> Syslinux Configuration

-> Unraid OS

kernel /bzimage
append pcie_acs_override=downstream isolcpus=2-15 initrd=/bzroot

Edited by JhonScript