Experiences with HDBaseT HDMI plus USB over ethernet

Jdiesel

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some feedback from those who have used HDBaseT HDMI extenders with USB over Cat6 ethernet.

My Unraid server is currently located in the basement of my three story home and I am wishing to extend a Windows VM to my home office on the 3rd floor. Currently I am using RDP software to remote into my VM but I am not happy with the performance in Photoshop. I would also be interested in doing some light gaming without using Steam Home Streaming or other gaming streaming software.

Is it reasonable to expect a decent user experience transmitting a 4k 60hz video signal and USB approximately 25m over a cat6 cable? Do these devices introduce lag or any kind over video compression?

Hello :)
At work I use a Wyrestorm HDMI extender, but I don't remember if it's a 4K or a fullHD one (i'll check tomorrow). 
You're basically one frame late on the receiver (16ms for a 60Hz signal), and you can definitely see some artifacts on the video.
But overall we can use the remote computer with usb perpipherals with very little lag and an acceptable image quality. 

15 hours ago, severalboxes said:

This 1080P one from monoprice worked really well for me. I couldn't tell any drop in quality or lag. They do offer a 4K version, but its very pricey.

1080P

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=34898

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21669

These are actually the ones I was thinking about trying. I've had good success with Monoprice products in the past and trust them over some of the questionable Amazon products.

Yes you are right it is starting to get a bit pricey for the 4K version. Almost to the point where a SFF build alternative starts to look attractive.