Supermicro X8SIL-F / Xeon x3440

Hello!

I’d like to start messing around with Unraid to see if it’s something that I would like to invest in. I’m currently running a Synology NAS 1819+ with 30TB of storage.

I have a Supermicro X8SIL-F and an Intel Xeon x3440 laying around so I was wondering if these components are still viable with Unraid. I plan on running 1 Windows 10 VM and a few dockers to start. I’m running a Jellyfin docker on my Synology NAS and it just chokes if it needs to do any transcoding.

Do you think it‘s worth the time messing around with the hardware that I have? I would have to spend some money on some RAM but it shouldn’t be too much since I would be just looking for DDR3 ECC used.

Thank you!

...sure, this is still a powerful platform.

I just retired my X8SIL-F Workstation with a L3426 running Win10 along with a 1x-PCIe Nvidia based GPU and 32GB RegRAM.

The new WS is based on a 10thGen G6400...only the NVMe system disk is what makes a noticeable difference to the L3426.

This thing will not idle below 45W, if this is of concern.

Also the board is picky, when it comes to the slot a HBA should be fitted, when other cards are also present.

Same applies to the make, Rank and distribution across the slots for RAM modules, especially when using Reg-DIMMs....Kingston RAM from the supported list will do fine, when following the manual.

Besides that, make sure the FANs are not running too low and that the CPU cooler / thermal compound is still fit or that MB will not stop beeping at you ;-) 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your reply.  That's good to hear that this is still a good combo.  

I'm not too concerned about the idle power, if Unraid ends up fitting me needs then I will look into investing into a more recent generation Xeon.  I know server grade hardware isn't necessarily needed, but I prefer to run it since I plan to have the final build run 24/7.

Appreciate the tips.  I was able to pick up some RAM off eBay that was on the QVL and I still have the stock cooler that came with the CPU.  It's not mounted right now, so I'll be able to put some fresh thermal paste.

Thank you again!

....sounds good.

With the X8SIL-F you should be able to test/try all aspects, including VMs with passtrough of some PCI cards, like Ethernet or a dedicated GPU.

Encrypting disks of the array will be an issue, as the older CPU does not support hardware accelaration for AES (luks/dmcrypt) but everything else should be fine.

Edit_: ..and, as far as I recall now, going into S3 sleep and WOL was something I never got to work properly on that MB, but at that time the S3-sleep plugin hadn't been invented for unraid.

Edited by Ford Prefect