Simple Home NAS Build Recommendation

Hello all!

I need help figuring out relatively reasonably priced hardware for my UnRAID use-case. I need something that is:

- Small & quiet (this goes under the TV in a cabinet)

- Easy access to at least four (I probably need more - lets say six) drives, one of which is an SDD

- Fast ethernet ports

- Doesn't need to transcode video, but should be able to host 4K UHD video via SMB and have one stream going locally

- Fairly mindless maintenance

- Safe for data

Budget-wise, I don't really have one but preferably under $500 in total, all the parts.

Thoughts?

Edited by just_another_person

$500 is going to be tough using new pc components.  The biggest challenge is that there aren't many case options in the HTPC form-factor anymore, and the remaining ones would be a large percentage of your budget.

My advice would be to scrap the idea of putting your server under the TV.  This lets you save money on a case and not worry so much about noise or aesthetics.  Throw the server in the basement/closet/garage or wherever is convenient and has ethernet access.

Get an nvidia shield or apple tv and use that as your media streaming device; both are $150.  I have an nvidia shield and love it; I've given up on the idea of putting a htpc under my tv.  I use jellyfin to stream transcoded 1080p media from my unraid server.  For movies I use Kodi to play 4k bluray rips directly from the server, even over wifi.  Having access to youtube, spotify, amazon prime, netflix, etc all one one device has been awesome.  The remote even turns on/off the tv and receiver, adjusts volume, and has voice search.  If $150 is too much, a Chromecast is $30 and they work well.

I put together a quick list of server components on Newegg:
- CPU: Intel Core i3-10100 ($129)

• Quad core with hyperthreading; plenty of power for NAS, some docker containers, and transcoding 1-2 1080p videos
  • Supports hardware pass-thru for VMs and Docker containers
  • Built in graphics with some decent hardware acceleration for encoding (*depending on what applications you are using)
  • Includes a cheap cooler

- Motherboard: ASRock H470 Phantom Gaming 4 ($101)

• Full ATX for future expansion for GPU, NIC, HBA, etc.
  • Supports 2 m.2 NVME SSDs and 6 SATA ports* (using both NVME will likely result in losing 1-2 SATA ports)
  • Built-in Intel networking
  • Most recent LGA 1200 socket, so there will be upgrade paths available for several years

- RAM: 2 x 4GB DDR4 2666 ($41)

• 8 gb will be enough for NAS and streaming, with a few docker containers.  For $25 more you can get 16gb.
  • Dual channel gets you a performance boost vs a single stick.
  • Buy whatever is cheap from a reputable reseller and brand; RAM is a commodity.

- PSU: EVGA 600W 80 Plus Bronze ($70)

• Reputable brand
  • Good efficiency
  • Should last for a decade
  • Enough power for what you are looking to do

- Case: Up to you. ($0-150)

• Decide what is important to you: looks, noise, expansion, airflow, price etc.
  • There are a few new cases in the $50-$75 range that support 5+ HDDs.
  • If you are trying to hit a strict $500 budget I'd try to find someone selling or giving away a used case.
  • Otherwise, on the cheap end there are some Antec mid tower cases for $50, or if you want a nicer looking, quieter, better quality case look at the Fractal Design R5/6/7, but those will be $120-$150.
  • If you insist on a HTPC case to put under your TV, look at what Silverstone has.

Total without case is $341.  Add the nvidia shield or apple tv and you are right at $491 without drives.  For $80 more you could get 16gb RAM and a 6-core processor.  You can also look at AMD, but I wouldn't expect any drastic differences in performance or features at this price range.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas.

Edited by C4RBON
  • Like 1

Finding a case that meets your needs is going to be hard.  I had a similar idea (same number of drives, also wanted it under my tv), but I gave up and just put my server in the basement in an old case (from back when it was normal for cases to hold 6 drives).  I know of cases that would work, but they'd cost a substantial portion of your budget.

You could get something like a Synology DiskStation, but I assume you don't want that, since you are asking on the Unraid forum lol.

I think a discrete, noise-focused mid-tower case like the Fractal Define (I have an R6) wouldn't look out of place sitting next to a TV.  Mine is barely audible; my central air is louder when it is on.  But, i've also spent probably $150 in noctua fans and cpu cooler.

Hi there,

greetings from Germany.

I would recommend this case,

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/node/node-804/black/

https://www.fractal-design.com/where-to-buy/?fwp_country=united-states

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=Fractal+Design+Node+804&N=100007583&name=Computer+Cases 

8x HDD and capable for normal ATX-PSU as well as µATX-MoBos, will save you a lot of bucks instead of searching for SFX-PSU and Mini-ITX-MoBo.

Choose a µATX-MoBo and a CPU of your choice, AMD AM4 (16 with at least 6x SATA) or Intel Socket 1200 (25 with at least 6x SATA).

AMD A4 Mini-ITX with at least 6x SATA only 1 MoBo, but this is in Germany almost $525 incl. VAT, Intel 1200 Mini-ITX not a single one.

So good luck and have fun searching parts for your hobby.

Peter