Almost perfect NAS, but not quite, need advise. Gaming and NAS

Hi.  I am using Supermicro X10SRM-TF serverboard, and Intel Xeon e5-1650v3 processor.  This procesor has 6 cores, 12 threads, base frequency of 3.5.  Max Turbo Frequency of 3.80.

I use unraid as NAS with several docker containers, they are Sonarr, Radarr, Jackett, Sabnzbd, Deluge, handbrake, but most of all, Emby (this is a problem).

A lot of times, I mean several hours a day, the NAS is also being used as gaming PC.  I have Nvidia GTX1080 GPU passed through.  VM is installed in SSD.  The games being ran are League of Legends (not very high in resources supposedly), GTA V, Fortnite.  

I said almost perfect, since I really like the board.  It has BMC, I have dual 10 GBE lan (I don't tet to use for now), PCIe x16, to pass through my GPU, 2 x8 PCIe slots for expansion, an m.2 slot (PCIe x2 I think, not as fast as current boards, but should be good enough for VMs running on it), and 10 sata ports.  

Then I said not quite, since, I really wanted to be able to use the NAS by accessing it remotely, via Parsec, Moonlight, or Rainway.  The outcome of which isn't quite as good, lag happens.  As Emby server, when I'm streaming from Android TV box, it can handle h265 and h264 without issues, so not a problem, but when laptop, Ipads, or Iphones are streaming from it, the 1 core, 2 threads I dedicate to Emby is not quite enough.  Shows will start stuttering at times, specially when the shows being played are of certain quality.  Since the NAS is being used for gaming, I have 4 cores, 8 threads assigned to a single VM.  While playing with keyboard, mouse and monitor attached directly to it, it's a perfect machine.  To play via Parsec, the same configuration is not working, laggy.  

So since this processor is 6 cores, 12 threads, this is my configuration:

For all the dockers, I have 0, and 6, for Emby, I have ticked, 1 and 7, for windows 10 gaming, I have all the rest.  I also have CPU isolation pined on all the last 4 cores and threads.  For Emby, usually, this is enough.  For other shows that are high bitrate, this isn't (only when playing on ipad, tablets, laptops).  For gaming, it's enough for local play, but for game streaming, it's not working.  

As you can see, my processor doesn't support Quicksync, hence I cannot buy emby premiere, to allow hardware transcoding.  I think I can buy another GPU, and have the GPU transcode emby?  But my GTX 1080 GPU occupies 2 slots, and it covers 1 of the PCIe x8 slot.  The other PCIe x8 slot is open, but then I have space constraint on my NAS box.  How do I fix this problem, short of replacing the hardware?

675263435_NASnode804Fractal(1).thumb.jpg.6bbfccd90b8c20005e42c09ea16a2436.jpg

Can't tell clearly from the pic but I don't think the 1st PCIe x8 slot is open-ended so it won't fit a x16 length card.

The 2nd PCIe x8 slot could be open-ended but need a better closer picture to tell.

In terms of transcoding, the popular Quadro P2000 is single-slot width and not that long so could fit on the 2nd x8 slot (assuming it's open-ended).

Hi.  They are both closed.  And I really don't want to hack it off :D  As mentioned, almost perfect board.  What do you have in mind?  I do have a hard pcb riser where I can plug x16 card, and converts to x8 slot.  that will make may video card taller, but I can manage to screw it to the case, or Zip tie.  I've done this before.  But I've done some research.  GTX1050 can transcode h265.  Most cards are 2 slots.  If I were to use that method, I'll have to remove the bottom 2 HDDs shown here, or I don't think it will fit?  Or will it?  In another thread, I discussed the idea of moving my existing GPU 1 slot to the right, on top of my m.2 SSD, using something like below:

image.thumb.png.05df85a0acb96e21c71aac89a7e881b2.png

Not sure if I'll be able to bend the ribbon properly though.  That will allow me to use the 1st x8 slot to put in another GTX 1050 gpu for emby.  Is this a good idea?

For Parsec etc. have you enabled hardware (GPU) compression so it can use Nvenc?

There is quite a bit of troubleshooting on the help forum or you tube, so you should be able to get playable performance.

I stream Roblox for the kids with an RX550 and it's plays OK.

For Media transcoding, you could hit up ebay or similar with two options

Swap the CPU for one with more cores. The E5-26XX V3 / V4 should all be compatible.

I bought a couple of E5-2660 V3 for around EUR85 each recently. 10C 20T slight reduction in Max boost @ 3.3Ghz

The E5-2690 V3 retains the 3.5Ghz max boost (though this drops of with number of cores @ max load) but is more expensive.

If you don't want to change the CPU then you could look at the Quadro P1000 which is a single slot card based on the GTX1050. This, like the GTX allows you three streams however would fit in that third slot. New prices are scary but ~EUR120 should get you a used one.

Also note that by default the GPU is used for encoding only so the CPU still has to decode. There are videos on youtube to get the card to decode and encode but it can be a little more complex running Nvidia in docker. I'm still to move all my hardware over, but this is my intention for my upgrade.

On 8/23/2020 at 3:25 PM, Decto said:

For Parsec etc. have you enabled hardware (GPU) compression so it can use Nvenc?

Yes, I did.  

There is quite a bit of troubleshooting on the help forum or you tube, so you should be able to get playable performance.

I stream Roblox for the kids with an RX550 and it's plays OK.

I can't understand why either.  I'm using wired ethernet, on a gigabit network.  

For Media transcoding, you could hit up ebay or similar with two options

Swap the CPU for one with more cores. The E5-26XX V3 / V4 should all be compatible.

Yes, main reason I say it's almost a good platform is because I can go up in terms of cores.  But due to having problems with Parsec, at a currently 3.5 GHz processor, I dare not swap to a more core, lower GHz processor.

I bought a couple of E5-2660 V3 for around EUR85 each recently. 10C 20T slight reduction in Max boost @ 3.3Ghz

The E5-2690 V3 retains the 3.5Ghz max boost (though this drops of with number of cores @ max load) but is more expensive.

I think 3.5 GHz is just about right.  I think there's 8 cores, 16 threads.  But I'm really after 10c 20t.  That's more than enough for me.

As it is, I'm constantly changing my CPU pinning, depending whether I'll be needing extra cores for my Handbrake transcoding.  Another scenario when I had to call in those extra cores is when Emby cannot transcode streaming shows to ipad fast enough.  When I do assign extra cores to Emby, that solves the constant pausing problem.  So yeah, the 3.5 seems to be good enough for local playing, but not quite good to have simultaneous playing, and transcoding.  

If you don't want to change the CPU then you could look at the Quadro P1000 which is a single slot card based on the GTX1050. This, like the GTX allows you three streams however would fit in that third slot. New prices are scary but ~EUR120 should get you a used one.

Wow, that's great information!  This may be a good way to go.  Though, using a GTX1050 can double as a second gaming VM 🙂 Then again, I'm limited to 6 cores as of the moment, that doesn't function well via remote streaming.

Also note that by default the GPU is used for encoding only so the CPU still has to decode. There are videos on youtube to get the card to decode and encode but it can be a little more complex running Nvidia in docker. I'm still to move all my hardware over, but this is my intention for my upgrade.

So are you saying having a dedicated GPU doesn't help in streaming the h265 shows onto ipads?  

I would really love to get my Parsec working properly!

On 8/24/2020 at 4:08 PM, jang430 said:

I think you are asking a lot from your server, specifically that you are segregating 4 cores (8T) for gaming which doesn't leave much for unraid and encoding. This likely means you underutilise some cores frequently rather than let the scheduler manage processes. I don't have much experience with pinning, but having only 1C 2T left for the system is going to be too tight for burst workload such as encoding decoding. If it's possible I'd be looking to partially allocate, say give 2C 4T to the gaming rig VM and then exclude those from sharing. Then let the system manage the rest, if there is spare capacity your gaming VM gets more, if other services need extra, it's abitrated along with the additional gaming VM demand. 

Your options are somewhat limited for streaming.

If you are converting from 4k H265 on the fly, that will put a huge strain on the system and isn't recommended.

Options:

1) More cores

2) Convert and store all Video to H264

3) Keep a lower res copy of Videos that are likely to be viewed on the Ipad as H264 at a suitable bitrate, system will pick the most compatiable.

4) Upgrade the Ipads to a later model that supports HEVC (H265) - sell the old ones.

5) Use an add in card - NVenc (encode) and NVdec (decode). Primarily only encode is supported, and with Plex it's a premium feature. There is also experimental support for decode (premium). Not sure about Emby as I don't use it. You can also hack the transcode limit etc. This is a topic on it's own and one I'll be getting into as the nights draw in (UK).  the file needs to be decoded then encoded so offloading either to the GPU will help somewhat.

The Quadro P1000 will game, just the drivers are less optimised, performance is around stock 1050 rather than TI while price is nearer 1650. Roblox, Minecraft etc is fine @ 1080p.

I'd start with understanding your Parsec issues as it should run OK.

Not intending to be patronising, but with little else to go on worth checking config.

The GPU (full device including its sound card and any other device) should be passed through as IOMMU, e.g. excluded from Unraid so it can be allocated natively to the VM. May be worth posting on using parsec with Unraid VM for more specific guidance and looking at Parsec specific help. 

Currently I have it parsec running on an I5 2500T 4C4T 2.3Ghz base 3.3Ghz Boost and it runs fine, CPU usage average 25% streaming Roblox with an RX550 and CPU load is spread across all cores so I don't think the Parsec issue is related to your CPU clock speed. I have read the some mice don't play nicely so may be worth trying different client hardware.

For CPU, E5-2660 V3 is likely the best option for 10C 20T, 3.3Ghz max boost, 2.9Ghz all cores loaded. There is an 8C 16T E5-1680 V3 with 3.8Ghz boost, 3.5 all core which would have very similar overall performance though due to still silly pricing ~400Eur likely other options are better. Other than that, E5-2687W is 10C 20T 3.5Ghz Boost, 3.2hz all core but is a 160W part so may not be compatible with your motherboard. From memory only the ATX workstation boards were >145W hence the option for the 12C 24T E5-2690 with boost of 3.5, all core 3.1 ~ 200 Eur

Even at 4C 3.5Ghz, likely you are constraining the GTX1080 so it depends how much performacne you are willing to give up to have more cores. Due to TDP you already have the best single core speeds on the platform. Still GTA seems to like threads as much as Ghz it may be OK.

In the OP you mention a Windows 10 gaming VM with 1C 2T, You don't seem to have a physical GPU for this so any output will need to be software rendered which will kill performance?  Is this sharing the GTX1080? 

Interested to see how it goes as I'll have a very similar config, sitting on a lots of parts but need some time to assemble and move everything across.

Parts I have:

E5-2660V3

64GB DDR4 ECC (4 x 16)

Supermicro X10SRA

Quadro P1000

Dell Perc (x8 HBA) - 12 drives and counting.

Noctua cooler

Case

PSU

This will leave the space for 2 x double width GPU for remote game etc streaming which will alow the kids to play some more modern games on older laptops. 

I have a couple of RX550's, cheapest Parsec compatible low power GPU I could find, but if it works well then I'll upgrade to ~Gtx 1650 / 1660 depending on pricing and Ampere refresh trickledown.

5 hours ago, Decto said:

I think you are asking a lot from your server, specifically that you are segregating 4 cores (8T) for gaming which doesn't leave much for unraid and encoding.

:D  I like pushing the hardware to the limit.  So far, Unraid has lived up to all my expectations.  I can't stop recommending it to everyone.

5 hours ago, Decto said:

This likely means you underutilise some cores frequently rather than let the scheduler manage processes. I don't have much experience with pinning, but having only 1C 2T left for the system is going to be too tight for burst workload such as encoding decoding. If it's possible I'd be looking to partially allocate, say give 2C 4T to the gaming rig VM and then exclude those from sharing. Then let the system manage the rest, if there is spare capacity your gaming VM gets more, if other services need extra, it's abitrated along with the additional gaming VM demand. 

Surprisingly, leave just 1C 2T to all other docker apps still work without issue.  I pinned another 1C 2T to Emby, this is the one with some bit of issue depending on the file being played.  And that only happens when Ipads are streaming from Unraid.  When Android TV box is used (since my box supports h265), there's totally no issue.  All the while with my son playing on the NAS with 4C 8T assigned to it, dedicated via streaming.  Did I say deluge also running on the NAS at the same time? 🙂

Indeed, I think the only way to go is to get a GTX 1050 GPU.  I've checked P1000, but the price is somewhat high compared to a used GTX 1050.  I will have to find a way to use a combination of risers (hard ones-with small pcb, and ribbon ones).

Regarding Parsec, it's the one that's giving me frustrations.  Yes, I did follow SpaceinvaderOne's instructions on passing through a dedicated GPU.  Playing directly on the NAS works perfectly, even GTA V.  It's only when streaming that I have a problem.  I agree, I will need to go to Parsec forums to ask for support.  

5 hours ago, Decto said:

Currently I have it parsec running on an I5 2500T 4C4T 2.3Ghz base 3.3Ghz Boost and it runs fine, CPU usage average 25% streaming Roblox with an RX550 and CPU load is spread across all cores so I don't think the Parsec issue is related to your CPU clock speed. I have read the some mice don't play nicely so may be worth trying different client hardware.

Is this the same machine running Unraid?  I am curious if my hardware doesn't run Unraid, if Parsec gaming will be fine.

5 hours ago, Decto said:

For CPU, E5-2660 V3 is likely the best option for 10C 20T, 3.3Ghz max boost, 2.9Ghz all cores loaded. There is an 8C 16T E5-1680 V3 with 3.8Ghz boost, 3.5 all core which would have very similar overall performance though due to still silly pricing ~400Eur likely other options are better. Other than that, E5-2687W is 10C 20T 3.5Ghz Boost, 3.2hz all core but is a 160W part so may not be compatible with your motherboard. From memory only the ATX workstation boards were >145W hence the option for the 12C 24T E5-2690 with boost of 3.5, all core 3.1 ~ 200 Eur

I have always discounted the boost GHz.  I've always based on the base clock speed.  A lot say it's difficult to expect it on Unraid.  I didn't research more, hence, my baseline has always been the base clock speed.

5 hours ago, Decto said:

Even at 4C 3.5Ghz, likely you are constraining the GTX1080 so it depends how much performacne you are willing to give up to have more cores. Due to TDP you already have the best single core speeds on the platform. Still GTA seems to like threads as much as Ghz it may be OK.

I didn't know this.  You mean if I had a better clock speed on the CPU, GTX1080 will perform even better?  I never took the TDP limit of the M/B seriously.  I thought it was because those where the highest TDPs on existing processors at the time of M/B manufacture.  So it's true?  You can't use higher?

5 hours ago, Decto said:

In the OP you mention a Windows 10 gaming VM with 1C 2T, You don't seem to have a physical GPU for this so any output will need to be software rendered which will kill performance?  Is this sharing the GTX1080? 

I can't remember this though.  I change the configuration a lot due to finding the optimal performance.  Though I've not used this kind of configuration on a long time.  Mainly, I've switched between pinning 3C 6T and 4C 8T to test whether there is performance drop.  Trying to conserve on the cores, but critic, my son, says there's noticeable degradation of performance when using 3C 6T.  I don't play, hence I can't say :D

Currently, when using Handbrake, I make sure gaming is not happening, and I remove the pinning, to allow handbrake to use more cores.  

My main limitations is due to the case that I love, the Fractal Node 804.  Since it's the case I chose, M/B is limited to Micro ATX.  Since it's Micro ATX, I think I already have 1 of the best boards in the platform that seems to make most sense right now, a lot of processors to select from, and cheap since I'm getting it used. 

To reiterate, the final 2 problems are streaming, and Emby transcoding.  Seems we've pretty much solved the transcoding side, by adding GPU.  Parsec issue left 🙂

Thanks @Decto, learned new things here.

21 hours ago, jang430 said:

The Parsec machine I have running is standalone for now, I want to build it into my Unraid server, however the current server has no free slots with 2 x HBA.

I use it so my son can run a roblox game with  a key presser continually when he's not there for some game he wants to play.  Main thing was that even with the relatively poor AMD hardware encoding from a budget card it plays well enough with low CPU usage so I suspect Parsec is a different issue rather than a CPU Ghz.

I think TDP limit is for validation and probably more applicable in a 1U, 2U install. Given the small difference and with any reasonable airflow in the case, I expect it would be fine, just a question of if SuperMicro added BIOS support for the higher TDP CPU's. I've noted the VRM's don't have a lot of heat sink.

Your current 4C 8T is about similar to an I5 2600K, you can compare in some recent 'Should I upgrade my 2600k' videos, but with modern CPU having higher IPC and running up to 5Ghz, frame rate is capped at lower resolutions (1080p). GTX 1080 is a decent card still so in a lot of less graphically intense games would be held back, but if you are getting enough performance then I wouldn't worry. It's always a balance. CPU shouldn't be an issue streaming at 60FPS.

Used GTX1050 still seem to fetch high prices, especially the TI's. You don't share a budget, but if you are looking at GTX1050 TI, then Inno 3d do a single slot 1050 TI 4G and a single slot 1650 4GB. The 1650 is around 20% faster and will have better versions of NVenc NVdec as it's a later card. 

Cheapest I saw was https://greatecno.com/gb/graphic-cards/115876-vga-inno3d-geforce-gtx-1650-4gb-single-slot-0835168001152.html

Amazon DE have the 1050TI single slot at around the same price delivered.

May be worth the extra to keep the install easy.

I'm considering a 1650 single slot for the kids game streaming card as it's more powerful than the RX550's so should be good for a lightweight gaming VM while giving maximum flexibility in the chassis.

If you are buying a double slot card at retail, the 1650 Super would be a better bet as it's significantly faster for almost the same price.

Anyhow I took a little inspiration from the thread and have part built my new server. It boots (on a trial key)  but as yet no drives installed.

I'll throw a couple of spare drives in over the next few days and see how I go with a windows VM and game streaming with parsec and the quadro... all I have to hand to test. 

Ideally I want 2 gaming VM's in the 2C 4T to 4C 8T range, probably one of each. 

Anyhow, I'll let you know how I get on with Parsec.

Thanks Decto!  Currently, top priority is to get Parsec up and running.  I want to move nas to remote location rather than physically underneath my desk.  My Emby can be hold off for now :D  Will start going to Parsec forums tomorrow and ask how I can improve performance.  

I'd like to hear how your experience goes.  Please share results when you get the time to set it up.

On 8/28/2020 at 2:08 PM, jang430 said:

I'd like to hear how your experience goes.  Please share results when you get the time to set it up.

Still in the test phase but..

System
E5-2660V3
Supermicro X10-SRA
64GB multibit ECC (4x16)
GPU 1 - GT710 (primary) in a PCI-E 2.0 x1 slot
GPU 2 - Quadro P1000 
Array 3x1TB single parity
Cache 240GB SSD

Note. BIOS set that the GT710 slot is primary VGA, I have to use this as I don't have IPMI

VM
2C4T  8(18),9(19) or 4C8T  6(16),7(17),8(18),9(19)
8GB Ram
60GB HDD on cache drive
Steam folder on array

i440fx-4.2 Template
Had to use VNC as primary display for setup
Quadro as secondary GPU
Soundcard as Quadro
Installed Nvidia Quadro drivers

Installed Parsec

Updated Parsec service to allow interaction with desktop (remote log on)
Updated the VM to remove the VNC display.

Editing of the multifunction GPU required every time

This has been a bit of a challenge, the VM's work for a while, then after a minor change or reboot it fails to inialise any display, either physical or VNC no matter what other change you make.  I'm on about the 7th VM now an I think I'm getting the hang of the multifunction pass through.
I have had issues with Parsec before as many cards need a monitor to initialise. I have some dummy monitor plugs however the Display Port dummy doesn't fake the audio so I don't get audio when I try to use that so have to connect a monitor. So far mouse is working but have have a few issues with that too and have previously used a spare mouse reciever (from broken mouse) or windows accesibility to fake the mouse with numkeys.

So far I have tested with my main desktop PC AMD 3700X + VEGA 64 as client.
Both counterstrike source and Left 4 Dead 2 seem to play OK
Tried different bandwidth 10M to 50M, slight improvement in quality
Pressing CTRL+SHIFT+M brings up the menu but shows the streaming stats. 
I'm showing 4-7ms encode + 3 ms decode, network <1ms so should be good for 100FPS, capped at 60. the combined latency is less than 1 frame.
I did have to increase mouse sensitivity in game as free look was slow but that fixed it.
There is the odd hitch, a freeze for half a second, every couple of minutes but that seemed to conincide with seek noises from the array drives which are pretty old at this point. The rest of the time it was perfectly playable. I also haven't done any optimisation yet as I've deleted a lot of broken VM's.

I did find less hitches with 4c8t than 2c4T.

On a laptop with a 5 year old 2C4T I5, it also played reasonably, better than trying to run CS Source directly on the Intel iGPU anyhow. Though I don't think the response rate of the screen is great which is probably the difference. I was also able to game on both Wifi and Gigabit, though wifi did have the odd stutter.

What are you using as a client

How you you define the lag, how noticable is it?
E.g. Is it choppy video and audio, obvious stutter etc. or a more subtle reduction in responsiveness?

3 hours ago, Decto said:

That was fast :D

Updated Parsec service to allow interaction with desktop (remote log on)

I don't recall doing this, but I can do connect to the desktop.  

3 hours ago, Decto said:

Editing of the multifunction GPU required every time

What do you mean by this?  Is this because you have both GT710 and Quadro P1000?   

3 hours ago, Decto said:

This has been a bit of a challenge, the VM's work for a while, then after a minor change or reboot it fails to inialise any display, either physical or VNC no matter what other change you make.

I'm not experiencing this.  It works like a charm, except for Parsec hehehe.  I'm so impressed by the reliability of it getting up and running as when needed, my next project after Parsec, is to Start the VM via remote physical hardware button sitting on my physical desk 🙂.   (because this nas has to sit somewhere remote)  

As of the moment, I have my Intel NUC (nuc3i5ryh- https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/83257/intel-nuc-kit-nuc5i3ryh.html) with Intel® HD Graphics 5500 graphics connected at my monitor, HDMI#1, I have Parsec VM (GTX1080) physically connected to my monitor's HDMI#2.  Switch back to HDMI#1 again, and stream.  Do you think because of my monitor physically plugged to GTX1080, and not using an HDMI dummy plug, will degrade performance of streaming?

I don't recall having to have a fake keyboard and mouse connected to the vm.  Only dummy plug, or physical monitor needed.  My dummy plug do allow audio to pass through when I was still using it before.

3 hours ago, Decto said:

I'm showing 4-7ms encode + 3 ms decode, network <1ms so should be good for 100FPS, capped at 60. the combined latency is less than 1 frame.
I did have to increase mouse sensitivity in game as free look was slow but that fixed it.
There is the odd hitch, a freeze for half a second, every couple of minutes but that seemed to conincide with seek noises from the array drives which are pretty old at this point. The rest of the time it was perfectly playable. I also haven't done any optimisation yet as I've deleted a lot of broken VM's.

I did find less hitches with 4c8t than 2c4T.

Is the streaming stats what I need to show how I'm doing?  I have this before- 

1103723843_IMG-3118(1).thumb.jpg.7248d1e88547a3629640f7549ec0c0a7.jpg I capped settings in Parsec to 60 fps.  Why is yours better than mine?  I'm connected to wired network.  How do you check combined latency?  I set mine to 50 Mbps.

Since I don't play fps games, I have to rely on kids' feedback.  The only feedback I get is it's laggy :D  Which doesn't help at all.  Let my try to get them to test some more, and elicit more feedback.  

I think the challenges I'm having with VM's is trying to do it remotely.

If I have a monitor and keyboard attached to the server it is much easier but I'm trying to work out a reliable way to create and edit for when it's tucked away rather than next to my desk.

I think I may need something other than Parsec for admin access to the VM as unless the encoder (GPU) is fully operational there is no rendering. E.g. Parsec diconnects in the middle of a GPU driver update and you then need to sit it out an hope it comes back. If you have VNC and a GPU, then updating the driver can cause the primary screen to change so the mouse is captured by the GPU screen while VNC shows you a mouse pointer that won't interact with the desktop (but is mirrored and will interact with the GPU desktop).  I may have to fall back on RDP as a secondary method.

Anyhow, that's mostly off topic for latency.

Multifunction device - GPU

Your GPU is a video card and an audio card. By default the VM passes these through as individual devices so it appears to the PC as if the video card is in one slot and the sound card is in another. This can cause issues including latency etc.

Meep explains it here in this link from his signature and I've seen it in a space invader video.

https://mediaserver8.blogspot.com/2020/07/problems-passing-through-gpu-to-unraid.html

The snag is, every time you make a change to the VM, core etc you have to redo the edit. 

Mouse

When I didn't have a dummy mouse on the parsec on the windows 10 native box, sometimes when I connected the mouse would often be missing or offset by 20% or more of the screen so you didn't click where it points. I haven't seen this yet in the VM with passthrough so maybe that is a native only issue. 

NUC

I have a very old BRIX whick is like a NUC, it has a very elderly J1900 celeron. I've tested it as a client for steam gaming before and it was OK so I'll give it a test with Parsec later as it is one of the clients I may use.

For performance, I get a very good decode as it's using the Vega hardware decoder. Vega is in the same performance class as GTX 1070/1080 so it's not working too hard.  

Total latency is Encode + Decode + Network. 

This should be below 16ms total to obtain 60FPS as each frame takes 16.67ms. Ideally you want a little headroom. Pushing up the bitrate may increase latency as more date physically takes longer to encode, transmit and decode.

Quite a while since I played any FPS either... hence my library of elderly games.

4 hours ago, Decto said:

Multifunction device - GPU

Your GPU is a video card and an audio card. By default the VM passes these through as individual devices so it appears to the PC as if the video card is in one slot and the sound card is in another. This can cause issues including latency etc.

Meep explains it here in this link from his signature and I've seen it in a space invader video.

https://mediaserver8.blogspot.com/2020/07/problems-passing-through-gpu-to-unraid.html

The snag is, every time you make a change to the VM, core etc you have to redo the edit. 

SpaceinvaderOne did have a video about this, and how to set it to passthrough properly.  There's an advanced GPU passthrough video, if I'm not mistaken.  In that video, he talks about demonic sound coming from the VM.  And a way to fix it.  

4 hours ago, Decto said:

NUC

I have a very old BRIX whick is like a NUC, it has a very elderly J1900 celeron. I've tested it as a client for steam gaming before and it was OK so I'll give it a test with Parsec later as it is one of the clients I may use.

https://pastebin.com/MJi75Fge

4 hours ago, Decto said:

Total latency is Encode + Decode + Network. 

This should be below 16ms total to obtain 60FPS as each frame takes 16.67ms. Ideally you want a little headroom. Pushing up the bitrate may increase latency as more date physically takes longer to encode, transmit and decode.

Yes, I read about this this afternoon.  I pasted logs above, just in case you know how to read it.  Don't know why, but today's performance is way better.  Though in the logs, about 19:43 time, I have N:487/230/0, this while my son was playing League of Legends.  I saw on faq, if not near 0, is not good.  But at 21:25, playing cities skylines, I have N:5/2/0, which I had a very good experience.

Not sure if on discord, they help troubleshoot such stuff.  I'm close to nailing this, I think :D 

A little more experimentation.

The N: numbers you have are network retransmits, which would indicate a network issue when they are high or that you have a lot of other traffic. I'm getting N:0/0/0 consistently even when I'm connected Via an ethernet on a WIFI mesh network (used as a bridge).

The J1900 plays quite well, though it stuggles at 1920x1080 since decode is ~10ms, at 1280x 800 decode is a more reasonable 4ms and its playable. 

l do notice however there is a signficant reduction in quality on any client, even when streaming 1920x1080 to 1920x1080. In L4D 2, the first level takes you down into an dark inferno so has a significant dynamic contrast, compared to the original render there is a significant reduction in quality where it's actually much harder to navigate and see the zombies. 

Anyhow, my current issue is effective cooling in the elderly Antec P180 case I'm using.

On 9/2/2020 at 12:40 AM, jang430 said:

Thank you Decto.  I'll see what I can do with my Network.  I'm afraid that may be the cause after looking at the logs.  Does N:0/0/0 denote the first 0 as host, client, etc?  What's the last 0 for?

https://support.parsecgaming.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002875791-Interpreting-The-Parsec-Console-Outputs

If you click on the N block under 'What these lines mean' it explainse it better than I can. Looks like congestion events.