automatically store photos from phone to unraid?

david97

I use syncthing to back up my photos and other folders on my phone to my unraid server.

I used to use nextcloud but it was over kill I miss being able to access files and download them but can do that with wireguard VPN.

I started using syncthing with my seedbox so started using it more to backup my phone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Are you using iCloud to sync photos from your phone? In that case you can do what I do. I have Mac VM on unRAID that runs for a few hours per week (scheduled start and stops). On the VM I run Photos that syncs with iCloud. The storage is a disk image on the unRAID array.
So any new photos/videos on my iPhone are immediately synced to iCloud, then synced to unRAID once a week.
I also run TimeMachine to a separate unRAID disk, which is probably overkill. But I’ve lost irreplaceable photos in the past from phones dying and really don’t want it happening again.
In the unlikely scenario that my phone dies AND apple somehow loses all my iCloud storage at the same time, I’m now only losing maximum one week of recent photos. Which I’m ok with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So I have not perfected my own backup solution yet.. but these are a couple things I've tried and they all work fine enough.

Nextcloud --- the overhead to run this might not be worth the effort, I do still currently have this running.

Google Photos app (on iOS and Android) to automatically back up your gallery to your google account (this is also running currently)

icloudpd Docker https://hub.docker.com/r/boredazfcuk/icloudpd/

I used this very briefly to test the downloading of photos from iCloud.  It worked fine, but every so often you have to refresh the cookie to keep downloading, so it's not a "set and forget" solution.   It also will not *only* download new photos.. it will download ALL your photos, or only the X-number of new photos.  There's no in-between to only download new/missing photos.  So in effect, if you download 50 photos -- move those photos from the download location to your photo storage location -- and then download again, you'll have all the same photos downloaded.  This can create a nightmare of duplicate photos to have to sort through.

GooglePhotosSync docker -- to download from the Google account (used in conjection with the Google Photos app).. I honestly forget if I used this one at all...

Essentially no matter what you do it will not be an automatic process.  There will be some degree of "problems" due to duplicate photos, etc.  I'm still trying to figure out the best process for myself.  The main problem is that leaving the photos on the phone necessitates anti-duplication.

I see you're on IOS but for anyone else on android i just use Autosync. You can use that to sync or just upload ( there are a bunch of diff sync options, you can also upload and delete local) via LAN or nextcloud/webdav. I currently sync via CrushFTP to my unraid server but I've also tried LAN (you can specifiy WIFI) and it worked well too.

When I was on IOS i think i used an app called photosync? It had something where you could set a Geo Fence and then it would auto upload via diff ways (FTP,LAN...). Worked pretty well.

Edited by ffhelllskjdje
  • 10 months later...
On 8/24/2020 at 1:55 PM, jbartlett said:

If you use Plex on unraid, the Plex phone app has this ability.

Plex Camera Upload is being discontinued as of June 2021. Do you have another solution besides nextcloud. I really wished Unraid had an app similar to Synology moments or Photos. That would push Unraid sales more. Thank you!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Howard Callender said:

Plex Camera Upload is being discontinued as of June 2021. Do you have another solution besides nextcloud. I really wished Unraid had an app similar to Synology moments or Photos. That would push Unraid sales more. Thank you!

On iOS I use the PhotoSync app to upload my pictures and videos to an UnRaid SMB share. Though, it is not free but worth the money IMHO.

Edit: Looks like the app was mentioned before. 

Edited by T0a
11 hours ago, T0a said:

On iOS I use the PhotoSync app to upload my pictures and videos to an UnRaid SMB share. Though, it is not free but worth the money IMHO.

Edit: Looks like the app was mentioned before. 

Thank you I use it at work. But I just don't like the monthly fees or annual fees. I prefer to buy it out right or pay the extra to unraid to make sure they are around in the future.🤣

• 1 month later...
On 9/15/2021 at 8:30 AM, Coke84 said:

This is a matter of configuration and setup. Icloudpd works very very well and downloads very reliably.

No, its not in my case, I've tried different approaches, no matter what I do I always get 'icloudpd Nothing is being downloaded at this time private db access disabled for this account. Please wait a few minutes then try again. The remote servers might be trying to throttle requests. (ACCESS_DENIED)'.
Looks like apple has an issue on their side - for a while I couldn't even view Photos on iCloud.com 

Nextcloud for me too! New photos automatically sync. unlimited storage!

i didn't want to export/share the entire nextcloud folder, so i have a symlink in another media share that links to my nextcloud photos folder.

works perfectly.

if only nextcloud could create memories (like google photos / apple photos) or automatically group people / places... that would be even more awesome!

Unless i am badly mistaking I do believe i very recently saw somthing Group setting for People or places...something like that ! Seams Like it was under advance settings/Apps or something like that i cant Remember..I Have CRS Disease ..as in i CantRememberS*it..lol. but ya may want to do some digging around & make Sure..i am always tinkering/Changing/trying Different crap on a Docker or Vm & Even Jails on one of my 5-6 Home servers & i am almost always stumbling into something new or cool that i didnt know or just forgot !

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a solution with a gallery-app, which allows to browse all the synced photos as if they were on the phone. Especially to safely clear up the phone from old photos, that already are synced to the server. Easy to browse. Just like Google Photos (and also iCloud I guess?).

Ideas?

• 3 months later...
On 8/10/2023 at 11:30 PM, 3dee said:

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a solution with a gallery-app, which allows to browse all the synced photos as if they were on the phone. Especially to safely clear up the phone from old photos, that already are synced to the server. Easy to browse. Just like Google Photos (and also iCloud I guess?).

Ideas?

Immich is perfect for me!

Info:
https://immich.app/

Installation:

https://immich.app/docs/install/unraid

There is no free up space on phone feature yet, but they have it on the plan:

https://github.com/immich-app/immich/issues/165#issuecomment-1575164317

Disclaimer

⚠️ The project is under very active development.

⚠️ Expect bugs and breaking changes.

⚠️ Do not use the app as the only way to store your photos and videos.

⚠️ Always follow 3-2-1 backup plan for your precious photos and videos!