Advice needed, Drive fell out of ARRAY

So I have a disk (Seagate ST4000VN000) that fell out of my single parity array.
From what I gather it was during a storm with power going in and out.
I am behind a UPS and the timing is probably a coincidence, but who knows.

197	Current pending sector	0x0012	080	080	000	Old age	Always	Never	3376
198	Offline uncorrectable	0x0010	080	080	000	Old age	Offline	Never	3376

Doesn't look good I know
So I have been running it through Preclear

187	Reported uncorrect	0x0032	001	001	000	Old age	Always	Never	311

And this is where I currently stand.
Did a second Preclear and no change, SMART 187 is 311 after both runs.
Looks like it is time to replace the drive.

However, I am out of country and will not be able to return home for a few months.
So my question is, would adding that drive in its current state back into the array be a bad move.

Disks were scheduled to be replaced with larger drives anyhow (age and space running out), so I am thinking of picking up
Toshiba MG07ACA14TE drives as I have found them for a good price.

I may be able to get Mrs. JaY_III to swap the drive. 
When looking at the shipping and preclear time. Finnaly convincing her to actually do it by walking her though the process over a video call, this might be a few more weeks yet.

The turning it off option until the drives arrive, I am really trying to avoid. Not only with the Mrs. be annoyed at me, so will the little monsters losing the on demand system. Witch in turn will further anyone the Mrs. as our youngest will most likely not leave her alone to finish her workouts, never mind make dinner.  Basically you build something and now they cant live without it.

So anyone have some advice for me?

Thank you

If the disk is actually disabled then Unraid isn't using it until rebuilt anyway. And I don't think I would bother trying to rebuild it to itself. Of course, while disabled, any access to that disk will be emulated by reading all other disks. And unless you have dual parity you don't have redundancy either.

Do any of your other disks have SMART warnings on the Dashboard?

Well aware that drive isn't being used.

It's been formated and pre cleared twice as I mentioned.

No other warnings for the other disks, but I am replacing all my 4TB drives as they are about  6 years old now and fully realize they are without parity.

Overall health of the system looks good from what I can see.    Just that drive I am concerned about.

Think I am agreeing with that not rebuilding yet.    I should have my confirmation email on Monday and hopefully this weekend I can put the wife to work and start the drive swapping.

I am guessing 2-3 days a precleare now.

Sorry typed / read that last post out on my phone, so missed some stuff.

I deleted the partition in unassigned devices, changed it to btrfs, (yes i know not a true format), copied  300GB of data or so.
Formatted it back to XFS, copied around 600 GB of data to it and it on the surface it seems to be working.

Was monitoring SMART and wanted to see the drive if it failed as hard as its seems to think it has.

So what worries you when someone mentions format?

2 hours ago, JaY_III said:

I deleted the partition in unassigned devices, changed it to btrfs, (yes i know not a true format), copied  300GB of data or so.
Formatted it back to XFS, copied around 600 GB of data to it and it on the surface it seems to be working.

This means that parity is no longer valid.

2 hours ago, JaY_III said:

So what worries you when someone mentions format?

There have been quite a few cases where users have assumed that they can do a format in Unraid and then rebuild to get back the contents.   

This is despite the big pop-up warning you this is not the case as the format updates parity.

7 hours ago, JaY_III said:

changed it to btrfs, (yes i know not a true format)

Actually this is a true format.

Format just means write an empty (whatever type) filesystem to this disk. Many seem to have only a vague (to the point of being incorrect) idea of what format does.

86861798_Screenshot_2020-08-24unRAIDDashboard.png.e7ed725e5a6eb768002350078cf3d315.png

My apologies for not sharing this from the get go.  Picture is worth a thousand words, or so they say

sde is my disk 3, or should I say it was.  As disk 3 is currently being emulated by the remaining 3.

I set smart to healthy, so I can monitor SMART without going into the details if nothing changed.....

5 hours ago, itimpi said:

This means that parity is no longer valid.

Fully agree.  The system is also online right now with new data having being written, thus I would require a rebuild anyhow to the best of my understanding
Its my disk 3 that needs to be rebuilt from the other 3 drives in the system

8 minutes ago, trurl said:

Actually this is a true format.

Format just means write an empty (whatever type) filesystem to this disk. Many seem to have only a vague (to the point of being incorrect) idea of what format does.

Some people are picky and call that a quick (fake) format as it doesn't do a traditional format of writing all zeros and scanning for bad sectors.
Anyhow no need to split hairs over that

Long story short is, I did not attempt to re-add the sde back and rebuild onto it.
My new 14TB HDD's order seems to have gone through.  With any luck I will be rebuilding disk 3 in a week or so.   Changing the Parity drive after that and tripping my storage.

4 hours ago, JaY_III said:

Picture is worth a thousand words

40 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Not according to the screenshot.

Diagnostics are often worth more than a screenshot.

Please go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post in this thread.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As far as I can tell they are working great.

Side note, I haven't had physical access to the drives yet as I am stuck out of country.....

But temps do look good from what I can see, and speeds seem great, cant speak on the noise other than the wife hasn't complained.

Unraid Parity check: 20-10-2020 21:43

Notice [UNRAID] - Parity check finished (0 errors)
Duration: 19 hours, 12 minutes, 36 seconds. Average speed: 202.4 MB/s

Pre clear takes a few days, I think it was about 3.

Value is great.  I picked them up for $386 Canadian each. 
Not bad at all for data center drives if you ask me, and they are CMR drives and that is a must have IMHO