Share Permissions keep resetting over and over

I'm on root and have all the appropriate settings enabled for my shares, however multiple times a day i may be presented with a "you do not have permission to do modify this share" (paraphrasing the error) when I am moving files around. I run the new permissions function from the unraid UI and it fixes it...temporarily. Eventually the permissions will seem to get messed up somewhere and I have to run new permissions again and again.

Any idea how to fix this? 

Edited by strayedcables
2 hours ago, strayedcables said:

I'm on root and have all the appropriate settings enabled for my shares

First thing, root is not an allowed user for SMB shares. 

2 hours ago, strayedcables said:

however multiple times a day i may be presented with a "you do not have permission to do modify this share" (paraphrasing the error) when I am moving files around. I run the new permissions function from the unraid UI and it fixes it...temporarily. Eventually the permissions will seem to get messed up somewhere and I have to run new permissions again and again.

If this is true, you probably have a plugin or Docker that is not setup correctly.   Or you could be  using NFS to write files to your server. 

I would begin by looking at the files that are giving you the problems.  Figure out how they were placed on the server. 

You can also look at the actual files on the server using the built-in GUI Terminal window. 

Enter the following command:

ls -al /mnt/user

You will see a list of your shares.  Note that the Owner should be   nobody    and the Group  users    Now go down the file structure and check for these Owner and Group attributes.   IF you are not finding nobody/users at some point, you are on your way to figuring out what the problem is.

Edited by Frank1940
  • Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I have the exact same problem for all the time I am using Unraid. Even now, I have tried to use an older share for my Nextcloud setup. When the Nextcloud app tried to upload the photos, I got messages, that there was an issue .. Well, I knew it is again the shares problem and i've runned the new permissions on this folder and like expected, everything worked fine afterwards, but this won't hold for long.

Does anyone how to fix this permanently?

Cheers

3 hours ago, Doublemyst said:

I have the exact same problem for all the time I am using Unraid. Even now, I have tried to use an older share for my Nextcloud setup. When the Nextcloud app tried to upload the photos, I got messages, that there was an issue .. Well, I knew it is again the shares problem and i've runned the new permissions on this folder and like expected, everything worked fine afterwards, but this won't hold for long.

Does anyone how to fix this permanently?

Cheers

Probably best to post in the nextcloud support thread, or ifs published by linuxserver, hit them up on their discord

3 hours ago, Squid said:

Probably best to post in the nextcloud support thread, or ifs published by linuxserver, hit them up on their discord

Hi Squid

Thanks for your reply. I don't think this is a problem related to nextcloud, as I have the same problem with deluge downloaded files and even on a VM Share, on which i download YouTube videos with youtube-dl (now yt-dlp). The problem is going across dockers and system overall.

What's the problem?  You said "exact same problem" which implied nextcloud can't access the files.  By now mentioning deluge, the implication is that YOU can't access the files downloaded by deluge, which is the opposite problem.

Look for settings within the apps on what permissions to set on the downloaded files and change it to be 0777

14 minutes ago, Squid said:

What's the problem?  You said "exact same problem" which implied nextcloud can't access the files.  By now mentioning deluge, the implication is that YOU can't access the files downloaded by deluge, which is the opposite problem.

Look for settings within the apps on what permissions to set on the downloaded files and change it to be 0777

Hi Squid, thanks again for the reply. Yeah, sorry that I didn't explain it well enough. Basically my exact the same problem was for the original post, that I don't have write access to folders (which is the case for my VM folders). In addition I have problems with dockers like Nextcloud, which needed permission reset on the share in order to be able to write on the share. I have checked now radarr app and it was indeed set under permission (chmod Folder) to 0755, I have changed it now to 0777. I guess there might be similar setting for all the apps somewhere. Thanks for the hint, I think this might be the reason, that the app is writing the file wrong and blocking folders.

Cheers