My Intro Post

Storeman

Hi to everyone,

I'm new to the world of NAS and having suffered the temporary loss of data due to dying drives and one one occasion, ransomware. Fortunately I had 90% of the data backed up but lost some photos from a holiday we thought would never happen.

I've tried some of the other solutions out there but could never get them to work intuitively and eventually stumbled across Unraid by watching Linus Tech Tips videos.
I was initially disappointed that there wasn't a free version but after a couple of days trying it out to see if I could get my head around the system I've already decided I will be making a purchase. This is one of very few pieces of software that I feel is worth investing in.

I made some mistakes while trying to find may way round and have managed to sort them out with advice found on this forum, youtube and even (surprisingly) by myself.
One mistake I made would have resulted in having to start again and having to transfer the files again if I had been utilising the free raid systems I had previously tried but with Unraid I was able to recover the existing configuration. Making regular images of the USB drive after any substantial change, while being time consuming has saved the day a couple of times.

I'm not a big fan of any 'nix' OS though I do appreciate that in the server world they excel. I just don't have the patience to learn enough to make it my go to for my personal use but Unraid does a lot to hide the underlying structure and the little I do know has been enough for me to do some small tasks that either aren't covered by the web interface or are covered but I've not yet discovered.

I'm taking it all step by step, initially getting the array up & running, setting up shares then adding a couple of plugins with a plex server. Now trying to read up on VM's though I think I might wait on adding VM's as I may want to replace the motherboard so I can add some extra ram and maybe add a graphics card (the PCIe x16) slot on the existing motherboard appears to be dead).

In summary, makes setting up a NAS pretty easy, even for someone like me with very little to no knowledge at all.

• Like 1