jeff.lebowski's unRAID build

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is this unMENU? I'm running a pre-clear right now on two drives, and they're at 32C and 34C, both Green 2TB drives during pre-read. Ambient is 26C. I expect them to get up to 37C during writes though. Not bad considering I removed the fans from the cages and am only using the slow, barely moving PSU fan and two other 120mm slow (1500rpm) fans. I really need to replace one of the 120mm fans with a faster fan to suck more air through the system. Powered up the new server last night, ran memtest and inserted the two drives this evening.

Is this unMENU? I'm running a pre-clear right now on two drives, and they're at 32C and 34C, both Green 2TB drives during pre-read. Ambient is 26C. I expect them to get up to 37C during writes though. Not bad considering I removed the fans from the cages and am only using the slow, barely moving PSU fan and two other 120mm slow (1500rpm) fans. I really need to replace one of the 120mm fans with a faster fan to suck more air through the system. Powered up the new server last night, ran memtest and inserted the two drives this evening.

I believe it is unMENU. I like the Main link at upper left because it auto-refreshes.

Nice temps even in that warm of ambient. My most recent pre-clear runs were on FALS disks and they got hot. 43° and 44°C. The green disks stay way under that.

I don't think I have it installed b/c nothing happens when I go to http://tower:8080/, I just get a cannot connect from Firefox. I'm such a noob now that I actually have my server kind of built and running. The official guide is pretty worthless, so I'm lost as a result.

I'll update tomorrow evening or so since the 2TB drives take 30 hours or so to pre-clear I've read.

I don't think I have it installed b/c nothing happens when I go to http://tower:8080/, I just get a cannot connect from Firefox. I'm such a noob now that I actually have my server kind of built and running. The official guide is pretty worthless, so I'm lost as a result.

I'll update tomorrow evening or so since the 2TB drives take 30 hours or so to pre-clear I've read.

The official manual is not supposed to cover nor would I want it to cover unMenu and the like.  Those are all community addon's that LimeTech does not support.  Look through the Customization Forum and the user contributed part of the unRAID Wiki.

Chances are you haven't set unMenu to reinstall on boot.  You need to add a line to your go file that tells unMenu to install on every boot.  I don't remember the syntax exactly, but if you can't find it just PM me and I'll post it here.

Chances are you haven't set unMenu to reinstall on boot.  You need to add a line to your go file that tells unMenu to install on every boot.  I don't remember the syntax exactly, but if you can't find it just PM me and I'll post it here.

That config page that was posted a few posts up really helped. I've got unMenu installed, but I have to wait till the preclears are done for unMenu to reset all the links at the top to the new server name. I suppose I could leave it as Tower and then change it later. BTW, the Samsung F4 is maybe twice as fast as the Hitachi 5K3000 2TB drive through pre-clear. Both temps are also at 30C and 32C with all of the 5in3 cage fans removed. Ambient is 25C currently. I'm only running the hardly moving PSU fan and two 120mm fans, 1 of which runs at 1500rpm and the other at 2000rpm. They don't move much air at all. Not too shabby me thinks :)

Ok, back to awaiting Jeff's interior pictures :)

The F4 was averaging around 115-120MB/s on the pre/post read and 100 NB/s or so on the write steps. The 5K3000 is at 90MB/s for write steps and also 115-120MB/s for read steps. Both have been running for 13 hours, 5 minutes and the F4 is at 9" of post-read while the 5K3000 is at 71% of the writing zeroes.

• 1 year later...

Some big updates at the Lebowski home. I wanted to get the existing servers out of their homes in a walk-in closet and our office into a central location. I looked for the coolest room in the house, and that turned out to be the laundry room. It's about 8'x6' in size. Along the 8' wall sit the washer and dryer, then the "server rack" is next to that. Those three items take up just about the entire 8'. The server rack is simply restaurant grade wire shelving on 5" casters. I bought everything at webstaurantstore. 24" deep x 30" wide chrome shelves. 64" posts and 5" casters. Shipping was high ($60) as expected, but the stuff is heavy. Checking craigslist every day for over a month, there was simply nothing available locally as far as proper server racks. There were a few in Portland or Seattle, but that's four hours each way, and I'd have to borrow a pickup to go get it. Because I have the tools and skills, I then thought about building one out of 3/4" 9 ply Birch plywood (I always overbuild), casters, server rails, rack screws and paint, but the cost of that would easily exceed the chosen rack. This choice seemed to be the best for me. Total cost was $176.

To get the room ready, I hired an electrician to extend an electric circuit and move the in wall CAT5 line from one wall to behind the server's planned location. He used a Pass & Seymour recessed wall box. The same box is in the master closet and it has one coax on the left, four ethernet in the middle (those supply four different rooms across the house), and two power outlets on the right. See the attached pic for the newest installation.

Back to the temperature. I use a weather station by Weather Direct. It's a simple transmitter/receiver system that takes readings every five minutes and sends that data to their servers where it can be accessed. Over a nine day period, average room temp was 66°F, and average humidity was 39%. During laundry sessions, humidity increases by about 5%. I attribute this to the 80CFM exhaust fan directly above the rack. That fan removes the entire room's air volume every ~4.2 minutes. Awesome.

Eventually, I'll drop the height a bit on each shelf. It doesn't look like as much space as I've provided is actually needed.

VERY pleased with the outcome.

And now the pics.

close up:

d13f29224238607.jpg

side view 1:

d24c42224238649.jpg

side view 2:

ab46ae224238677.jpg

close up of the recessed wall box:

c01c52224238706.jpg

close up of the first recessed wall box:

3c734a224240860.jpg

As always, make sure your dryers vent is properly sealed. Nothing will do the server in as quickly as the heat and humidity from a poor dryer vent. But if its the coolest room in your house I'd say the vent it good :)

Really like that recessed box. I used a modular recess when installing my parents av equipment. I can add/remove receptacles as needed.