LSI 9206-16e - dead?

so misfortune again - it's getting to be a habit with unraid, wtf...

first card is completely dead, well in case of lights at least, because it's getting hot when installed...
second is blinking orange, 3 times and pause

non of them is showed in lspci in unraid and now I have them in my workstation and they are also not visible under Win10

do you have ANY ideas please! :)

I haven't 9206-16e, hope you can found the LED pattern meaning in user guide.

I have spend time to shoot why a 9201-16e can't recognize on a mainboard ( not show in lspcie and have PCIe AER error ) .... finally result fail but it fully work on another mainboard(s).

Edited by Benson
  • 2 weeks later...

New card the same issues.

It's blinking green, I can see it in lspci, and I can't see it in BIOS (I have found information that this is good actually, and people are doing this not to wait this extra BIOS to load, and it should work without one), but no disks...

There is no lsiutil in unraid - how to get one or is there anything else that I can use for further diagnostics?

I hope I've posted correct diagnostics, I haven't anticipated how many diagnostics I will need to store ;/

unraid-diagnostics-20200821-1232.zip

Nothing abnormal in log, 8644 cable quite expansive if buy another one.

Due to your HBA haven't BIOS, I would suggest try flash BIOS and Firmware ( it is free )

Pls ensure 8644 complete insert in socket and correct direction, does disk spin up ?

Edited by Benson

I have 4 of this cables, and I've checked on all of them, the result is always the same, it seems it's all in (lock engages) is it possible to put it upside down? I need to check then, because I assumed it's not...

Thanks

On one of the cards I also flashed BIOS and Firmware, BIOS and Firmware are displayed on the sasflash but there is no BIOS menu during POST.

Also - that should not be important, but: all drives are powered from a different power supply, and it's enabled manually before server starts, all drives are spinning up, and it was working this way before all this SAS mess with SATA card installed.

50 minutes ago, Mrobert said:

it seems it's all in (lock engages) is it possible to put it upside down?

This fine if lock engages, (a click sound) no upside down.

50 minutes ago, Mrobert said:

Also - that should not be important, but: all drives are powered from a different power supply,

Yes no problem.

It could be cable too long, due to SAS allow much longer distance if compare to SATA. If you have SAS expander or SAS disk, you could use it to verify HBA.

Edited by Benson

Still no devices being detected, the HBA is initializing correctly, though it does log this which is not normal:

Sep 15 15:18:15 unRaid kernel: mpt2sas_cm1: Temperature Threshold flags 0     exceeded for Sensor: 0 !!!
Sep 15 15:18:15 unRaid kernel: mpt2sas_cm1: Current Temp In Celsius: 51
Sep 15 15:18:15 unRaid kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: Temperature Threshold flags 0     exceeded for Sensor: 0 !!!
Sep 15 15:18:15 unRaid kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: Current Temp In Celsius: 44

One thing you could try is flashing a BIOS and checking if the devices are detected there, also take the opportunity to flash the latest firmware.

6 hours ago, JorgeB said:

LSISAS2308: FWVersion(17.85.00.00)

Current firmware is 20.00.07.00

Oh shut, I must've mixed cards, I will check again on proper card. Thanks!

6 hours ago, Benson said:

If problem still not solve, you may try follow below video which use lsiutil to fix port disable problem. I haven't try lsiutil but official web can download it.

That was one of my original questions, HOW to make lsutil on unraid?

• 9 months later...