Blackout - trouble getting unraid back

Been running v5.xx for forever and a day - 13 drives and we're up to about 33tb these days. Had one of those (lovely) rolling blackouts the other day and am having a heck of time getting things back and happy again. Basically, can't see anything from the various computers/tvs in the house where I would access the shares/files.

Every once in a while it looks like I can access the Web Gui from one of the machines in the house - but never for very long - so trying to do anything from there is pointless. Command line is never an issue.

Happy to post a log here if I knew how to do this from the command line as I know this would be the first step for anyone to dive in - 

She's shutdown now - is there anything I can look for on the 12-year old thumb drive to get started?

Appreciate the help - I'm fairly technical - just not with linux...

(And yes, an UPS is already on order)

Edited by rockytt
edit

Your symptoms sound like an IP conflict.

Try powering off every device with an IP address. Not just shut down, remove power. Then bring your network back up 1 item at a time, starting with the ISP modem, then your router, then the Unraid server, then start with one computer and see if you can manage the server again. If so, start bringing the other devices back online one at a time, and verify things are still working.

For wifi devices like phones and tablets, it should be sufficient to disable the wireless when you do the purge. When the wireless is reenabled they should get a new lease from the router.

thanks for the response jonathan - quick question if I may - do you think it would be enough to just plug the server directly into one of the PCs and power up that way? Lots of devices in the house (including TVs that don't want to lose power) and I'm trying to be mindful/less disruptive to the fam if I can at all avoid it! 

No love

sys.log attached (probably some ugly in there)
syslog.txt

Best to attach complete diagnostics. If you can get to the command line (as you indicated you can) just type ‘diagnostics’ this will save them to the flash drive.

Strange things can happen to flash drives in a power outage. You might also want to plug it Into a Windows PC and let it run chkdsk on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate the help! (and different tech - but I'll give it a go)

Pulled up another computer and the Web Gui opened partially, then timed out - just enough to see the disks and the parity check underway - but not enough for the navigation to appear

IPV4 for one computer is: 192.168.1.88 (wired)

Gateway 192.168.0.1

Tv is 192.168.0.118

Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

Dns server is 192.168.1.254

I do appreciate your patience - I've spent the last two weeks debugging shopping carts with "less than helpful" tickets submitted-so I know how much "fun" this can be :)

For any particular device the devices IP address and gateway need to be on the same subnet or you will not be able to navigate to devices on any other subnet.  

As was said this raises the question as to why you have two subnets in the first place - this is not normal on a home network unless you explicitly set it up.   Perhaps one subnet is the one given out by DHCP and the other one where you have set static addresses?

Sorry for frustrating the heck out of everyone(!) - this is a black hole for me - 

I certainly never set up two subnets on purpose - mostly 'cuz I wouldn't know how or even want to - strange stuff going on over here indeed. For fun I pulled everything apart again this AM, fired up a single router and the tower and suddenly my TV was working again (from the server) and I could see the web gui on a couple of the wireless computers. Happy dance, right? Well - web gui stopped working on all machines, although the one TV I tested is still fine. (So - partial happy dance?)

I pulled up the main router and looked at the rather large lists of devices in the house, and no surprise, everything that shows 'connected' is on the same subnet. Wondering out loud if there was a way to change the IP of the server to be on the same subnet (particularly w/o the web gui)

Y'all have been great and I appreciate the willingness to hop in and help a (oftentimes) clueless brother out! Happy to accept further help, but I also realize that it's on me to figure out a solution from here as you've correctly identified the root cause. Many thanks!

4 hours ago, rockytt said:

Wondering out loud if there was a way to change the IP of the server to be on the same subnet

If your router allows you to set a "permanent" DHCP lease on the unRAID server IP address that is a good idea.  That way, if for some reason the server is not reachable on the LAN via name you can always access it via IP address.  Setting a 'permanent' DHCP lease or static IP address for the server allows you to always know what the server IP address is. 

You can also do this by setting a static IP address in the server network configuration (Settings --> Network Settings in the GUI).  If you cannot access the GUI, you can manually edit the network.cfg file (/config/network.cfg) on the flash drive.

GUI settings:

image.thumb.png.bb9f2560efe0872b6a2a57e2814fb07f.png

Network.cfg on flash drive:

image.png.c76690ac17ecd9b70d53a19c9f9b9de8.png