Best X570 for Unraid overall???

Is there any general consensus regarding which mobo may be the very best X570 for Unraid, supporting passthrough and most any "Unraid Supported" task which the owner "throws at" their unraid server (assuming that the user is not attempting to demand more than the parts were designed for)?

I know that the ASRock Taichi X570 has got a pretty good rep.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/x570 taichi/
I'm running the Phantom Gaming X with the additional 2.5Gb ethernet but it's basically the same board.

I run a bunch of virtual machines, Win/Mac/Linux. This board is great because it has buckets of onboard hardware;

- 8 x SATA ports
- 3 x NVME

- 3 x PCIE 16x

If you plan on maxing it out with add on cards and NVME drives then you will need to pay attention to how to cut up the PCIE lanes. From memory the 3rd PCIE slot shares a x4 lane with the 3rd NVME slot. This is a limitation of the chipset not the motherboard. Still it gives you the max flexibility of any motherboard on the market.
I needed this amount of capacity because I run a primary Mac and Win VM with dedicated NVME drive and GPU (5700xt and RX550) for each, plus the Mac needs a dedicated Wifi/Bluetooth PCIE card and an additional USB PCIE card (onboard USB/Wifi/Bluetooth passed to the Win VM). So I need all the PCIE slots :)
One issue I hit was that my AMD 5700xt GPU does not play nice with the PCIE bus and on release (shutting down the Win VM) would often hardlock the machine. It's well known that AMD GPUs and virtualisation don't get on. I have taken it out for now and plan on trying a 2070 super when I have the time and money.

Here is a thread on how to set it up.

• Like 2

Can't speak to the X570 taichi, but I just recently upgraded to a used X370 taichi and it's been great.  stable, overclocked the memory just fine, 10 sata ports (none of which get deactivated when using either of the M2 slots).  Only thing I can't attest to is passthrough, as I'm not running any VM's yet, but i've read others saying it wasn't an issue.  I couldn't justify the new price tag for an X570 version when I came across the $85 used x370.  Pcie 4.0 and 2 less SATA ports for $200 extra.  

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

The Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero is a fantastic board too.  The rear IO sealed it for me:

- No Wifi (not needed on a server)

- No PS2 (again, not needed for me)

- No display outputs (I doubt it'll be used with a G series CPU, so not needed. A graphics card will have its own outputs anyway)

- 2.5Gig LAN port (5Giig would be nice, but 2.5Gig is still pretty nice)

- 12 USB ports !

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone use these for gaming or setup a bare metal pass through? I keep going back and forth on building an Unraid server and using a VM for work/gaming versus two separate machines. I have the old dual E5-2670(?) I picked up a while ago when they were cheap I set up a VM in it and tried some VR and games but it felt a little “jittery” in games and I eventually abandoned that project.

On 10/4/2020 at 6:49 PM, rxnelson said:

Anyone use these for gaming or setup a bare metal pass through? I keep going back and forth on building an Unraid server and using a VM for work/gaming versus two separate machines. I have the old dual E5-2670(?) I picked up a while ago when they were cheap I set up a VM in it and tried some VR and games but it felt a little “jittery” in games and I eventually abandoned that project.

In my opinion keep it separate. I don't have "hard facts" but I think server is server and gaming rig is gaming rig.

I'm in a research process, too and looking for some hardware recommendations (Here) 

Still looking for a 10GBe recommendation - but not one of those expensive ones :)

For me these two boards are in the finals :) 

1) ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (180€ and 8 SATA ports)

2) Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE (180€, but not a good PCI-E design (16-4-1-1 and only 6 SATA ports)

The Asus Crosshair VIII doesn't pass my need of a non PCI-E Lane Sharing - and besides that, is very expensive (380€)

Edited by Maddeen
  • 1 month later...

I am running it, but I run into issues when I want a 3rd VM to run simultaneously with a 3rd GPU passed through.

For what its worth my short specs:

Motherboard: AsRock x570 Taichi, bios version P3.40

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950x

Memory: 128gb DDR4 (4x 32gb Samsung M378A4G43MB1-CTD)

GPU: 3x GTX 1080 Ti gaming X 11gb

I created a post with my error for the 3rd GPU:

and I just came across this post which might be of help:

I was looking at asking a similar question.

I'm guessing x570 would provide better performance for 2x GFX cards, and 2x m.2 SSD drives.

(more PCIe4 lanes or something)

I'm  looking at trying to get the Samsung 980 Pro 1TB...

Previously when I thought about trying this, I was going to look at the 3700X CPU

Now I'm debating if I can go with the 5600X or do I pay more for the 5800X or 5900X.

If this doesn't work, its easier to justify buying a 2nd 5600X and building a seperate PC for my wife... than having spent almost twice as much on the 5900X.

Lastly it might be down to sale prices/availability of nVidia 3070 or RX6800