writing speed consistently at around 60MB/s

Hi all,

as mentioned above I am struggling with low write performance to my cache SSD over Lan.

everything else is running perfectly, my download speed from the share is approx 100MB/s (I have no idea on how to get the speed test apart from copying to and downloading from, any suggestion on alternate method is appreciated) 

• xeon e3-1220 v3
  • 16gb DDR3 Ram
  • 1x 3t HDD
  • 1x 120 SSD for cache,

dianostic file is attaced, Any idea? 

samsbay-diagnostics-20200826-1116.zip

Also test transfer speeds with very large files > 20GB in your case.   File overhead can be a problem even with using ssd's.  (Your CPU is not exactly a barn burner these days.)  You have 16GB of memory and it looks like you might have a considerable of RAM available as a cache for writes.  You should really be seeing a initial burst of write speeds at the 100(+)MB/s rate and then a dropback after the RAM cache fills up. 

8 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Also test transfer speeds with very large files > 20GB in your case.   File overhead can be a problem even with using ssd's.  (Your CPU is not exactly a barn burner these days.)  You have 16GB of memory and it looks like you might have a considerable of RAM available as a cache for writes.  You should really be seeing a initial burst of write speeds at the 100(+)MB/s rate and then a dropback after the RAM cache fills up. 

i was using a 8gib movie to do the testing, i did wonder replacing the CPU would help, but didnt see CPU usage ramp up that much when i was copying the file.

On 8/28/2020 at 6:53 PM, johnnie.black said:

Close enough, do you have another source computer you can test the transfer with?

I borrow my friend’s laptop. It’s iperf result is close and do have the write speed of 110MB/s. I tried update the nic driver but didn’t make any difference. 
it is isolated to my pc end but I’m not too sure what else can be done.

8 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

At least you now know where the problem is, if you can try a different NIC on the PC, it can also be an OS issue, re-install might help.

8 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Be sure you swap to a different port on the switch that the PC is connected to .   You should also power cycle the switch.  These things all have a SOC chip in them and a reboot often clear problems.

will try both, and keep you guys posted, thanks for your help :)