SOLVED - Windows 10 AMD GPU Passthrough

Hey guys,

I'm trying to pass through my Saphire R9 280 for countless hours now but it always ends up that the "windows spinning dots" are getting stuck. (Or a bluescreen [KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE] caused by the CPU config in the VM-XML which i need to set to "host-model" instead of "host-passthrough").

If I switch to VNC (+ CPU mode "host-model" in XML) instead, Windows boots up perfectly.

Switching to Q35-4.2 instead of i440fx-4.2 seem to fix this "boot issue" but as soon as I can access the Desktop of the VM, Win10 freezes, Unraid reboots and a parity check is started.

Btw I'm using the Unraid 6.9.0-beta25 version, because the last stable didn't work for my motherboard.

This GPU is the only GPU in the system, so I tried everything Spaceinvader One explained in his GPU-Passthrough videos.

I tried:

• dumping the vbios manually
  • using the vbios of techpowerup
  • putting the GPU in a seperate IOMMU-Group
  • setting the line "append pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction initrd=/bzroot video=efifb:off" on the flash's syslinux config
  • booting the VM with VNC only to install the AMD Driver (which fails)

The diagnostic of the rebooted Server is attached below.

Thanks in advance. Kind Regards,

Basti

tower-diagnostics-20200826-1928.zip

Edited by BastiArts
Solved
  • 1 month later...
On 8/26/2020 at 11:31 PM, BastiArts said:

Hey guys,

I'm trying to pass through my Saphire R9 280 for countless hours now but it always ends up that the "windows spinning dots" are getting stuck. (Or a bluescreen [KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE] caused by the CPU config in the VM-XML which i need to set to "host-model" instead of "host-passthrough").

If I switch to VNC (+ CPU mode "host-model" in XML) instead, Windows boots up perfectly.

Switching to Q35-4.2 instead of i440fx-4.2 seem to fix this "boot issue" but as soon as I can access the Desktop of the VM, Win10 freezes, Unraid reboots and a parity check is started.

Btw I'm using the Unraid 6.9.0-beta25 version, because the last stable didn't work for my motherboard.

This GPU is the only GPU in the system, so I tried everything Spaceinvader One explained in his GPU-Passthrough videos.

I tried:

• dumping the vbios manually
  • using the vbios of techpowerup
  • putting the GPU in a seperate IOMMU-Group
  • setting the line "append pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction initrd=/bzroot video=efifb:off" on the flash's syslinux config
  • booting the VM with VNC only to install the AMD Driver (which fails)

The diagnostic of the rebooted Server is attached below.

Thanks in advance. Kind Regards,

Basti

tower-diagnostics-20200826-1928.zip 87.7 kB · 0 downloads

Any updates here? Been facing the same issues.

• 1 month later...
On 10/20/2020 at 3:42 PM, zen89 said:

Any updates here? Been facing the same issues.

I solved that issue by binding this IOMMU group at boot. (probably I overlooked it)

[1022:790b] 00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SMBus Controller (rev 61)

[1022:790e] 00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH LPC Bridge (rev 51)

[1022:1440] 00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse Device 24: Function 0

[1022:1441] 00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse Device 24: Function 1

[1022:1442] 00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse Device 24: Function 2

[1022:1443] 00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse Device 24: Function 3

[1022:1444] 00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse Device 24: Function 4

[1022:1445] 00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse Device 24: Function 5

[1022:1446] 00:18.6 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse Device 24: Function 6

[1022:1447] 00:18.7 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse Device 24: Function 7

Now I'm facing this issue. But the passthrough thing still works.

Regards,
Basti