• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently acquired 2 of these 1 with 3tb drives, and another empty. I will be filling it soon.

I plan to use it with another NAS system for the purposes of a home lab, but will set it up to experiment with UnRaid first.

I acquired a LSI 9206-16e SAS controller to drive this and other additional storage solutions over time. But only the 8e is needed, and only one connector if you do not need multi-path. Though it does give higher throughput during higher utilization. I haven't tested this feature in unraid.

If you got the one that have 520bps shown on the bottom of the caddy, you'll need to reformat it to 512 so it is compatible with unraid.

This page has full instructions on using sg_tools to do that. https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/emc-ktn-stl3-15-bay-chassis.23244/page-2

Just wanted to confirm that this unit it working. Currently clearing 15 disks. It's not very fast, but would work well as a backup. Don't look for it to serve 4k HDR movies without some buffering.

EDIT: It also has multiple drives sizes installed, and both SAS and SATA. Just be sure that when you have SAS interposers, you use SAS drives, and with SATA you have to use SATA drives.

Edited by Trakkasure
  • 9 months later...
On 3/7/2021 at 6:03 PM, Trakkasure said:

Just wanted to confirm that this unit it working. Currently clearing 15 disks. It's not very fast, but would work well as a backup. Don't look for it to serve 4k HDR movies without some buffering.

EDIT: It also has multiple drives sizes installed, and both SAS and SATA. Just be sure that when you have SAS interposers, you use SAS drives, and with SATA you have to use SATA drives.

how is the speed for normal use? noticeably slower than a normal internal drive?
im looking to get a disk shelf and came across one of these for 150.