Unraid in GUI mode dont save settings

So i run Unraid in gui mode from startup for the ease of use when i dont have access to pfsense (which is in a vm on unraid). i have noticed that the changes i make to firefox dont stay on the next boot. is this possible to do? i know the gui runs in ram so its way over my head, but for someone a little more technical is it possible or a dream to give up? i have a very basic knowledge of linux, but i can follow instructions. im on unraid 6.9.0-beta-25 (unraid nvidia build)
i would appreciate any response :)

1 hour ago, BRiT said:

Are you talking about changes to unraid settings or are you talking about customizations to Firefox browser like bookmarks and menu bars to show?

Oh sorry I meant the the customations in the firefox browser in gui mode. the settings in unraid sticks and that isn't a problem.

7 minutes ago, SebTech33 said:

Oh sorry I meant the the customations in the firefox browser in gui mode. the settings in unraid sticks and that isn't a problem.

Yeah, as far as I know any and all customizations made outside the unraid Web UI are reset upon every reboot.  There may be a plugin or two that provides persistent home locations across reboot. You'd have to search for them though.

3 minutes ago, BRiT said:

Yeah, as far as I know any and all customizations made outside the unraid Web UI are reset upon every reboot.  There may be a plugin or two that provides persistent home locations across reboot. You'd have to search for them though.

i have gone through every plugin on community application and i have not seen any plugin that allows persistent boot. if you know of anything i would appreciate it if you would share if you find anything i'll search around a little to see what i can find. thank you for the help 

Just now, Squid said:

In a nutshell, the GUI mode (firefox) is only meant for management of unRaid itself.  Using it for general surfing etc isn't particularly recommended, and not really any easy way for it to save any settings you make to it, since those settings go beyond it's intended use.

ok thank you for the clarification, i just wanted to set two default pages one for unraid and the second for pfsense. if this is not easly done i can just do it manually when this is needed. is this a complication of it being in ram?

I believe it was a security concern.  LimeTech did not want folks using that Console GUI as a general purpose web browser.  Unraid has zero protection against Internet based attacks and that user for that Firefox process is root.  If you think about both of these facts, you should be able to see the security risks.

Put it this way.  The reason why the GUI mode was first introduced was because there was a user who didn't own a phone or tablet (weird in itself) who borrowed one to set up his server and a Windows VM as his daily driver (also didn't own a laptop or other computer), and couldn't manage the server to replace a failed drive (since the array was stopped).

Intresting. I myself wasn't going to use it firefox browser for anything else than managing a local pfsense and unraid. But i do understand why it is that way now. root for that browser isn't that good if you think about security. ill be getting a dedicated machine for pfsense soon and then i can just use the windows 10 vm on unraid to access the unraid and pfsense ui. so security would be better. thanks you both for shedding a light on this. 

• Like 1