Planned NAS Build (~1500 Canadian, no drives) | Looking for feedback

NasOnABudget

Readiness  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi, so after looking around for a long while, and few weeks more in depth, I've planned out what I think will be the nas build I'll go with. The goal of this nas is to have a convenient way to backup other devices, to store media files (unbacked up, at least temporarily till I build another due to how much data I have) and to stream that media (likely without transcoding) to one or 2 devices. 

If Im wasting money ridiculously in someway that isn't reasonably justifiable to me/the goal, Im hoping that gets caught here, before I buy.

I've included my logic for all major components in the parts list below.

Please note that I have marked where I already own hardware (such as all the hard drives listed).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($279.09 @ Mike's Computer Shop)

Thoughts: I actually am not sure what I want to do with this thing more than holding media, or if Il ever transcode or use vms much or anything, so this, with its integrated iommu capable, quicksync capable gpu should give me enough rope to hang myself messing around with stuff. The only reason Im getting this over ryzen, is that integrated gpu.   I plan to use it with the stock cooler, unless otherwise alerted to temp issues. I doubt itll see heavy use frequently.

Motherboard: MSI MAG B460 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($203.38 @ Memory Express) 

Thoughts: Its the cheapest 2 16x slot board that had enough usb ports to ill out the front io... thats why I picked it

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($163.83 @ Memory Express) 

Thoughts: Im actually only putting in 8gb, this is to swap with a different system

Storage: ADATA Premier SP550 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 

Thoughts: I already have it sitting around so I might as well do something with it. I think I'll run vms or.... something on it. I really have no express purpose for having it here and might not include it, especially since the drive technology I think would make it a very poor caching drive.

Case: Fractal Design Define 7 XL ATX Full Tower Case  ($305.08 @ Newegg Canada) 

Thoughts: Big case with spots for up to 19 drives plus a couple ssds. Expensive though considering Il need to buy the trays separately, but I don't have a server rack, and likely wont need one for anything else anytime soon.

Power Supply: Corsair HX Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($237.28 @ Amazon Canada) 

Thoughts: Highly rated, not too high inrush, many sata ports for minimal expansions needed, efficient

Out of stock so replacement:

Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($203.38 @ Memory Express) 

Has 12 sata connections requiring 2 4 way sata splitters to achieve 18 total, but thats alright.

External Storage: Western Digital My Book 8 TB External Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 

Thoughts: All part of the current pool

External Storage: Western Digital My Book 8 TB External Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
External Storage: Western Digital ELEMENTS 14 TB External Hard Drive  (Purchased For $418.09) 

Thoughts: These 3 are new for unraid and I'll be testing the basic setup on these before transferring data. 2 are for parity

External Storage: Western Digital ELEMENTS 14 TB External Hard Drive  (Purchased For $418.09) 
Custom: Various Cables ($40.00)

Thoughts: Sata extensions (non molded) and the sas to sata cables for the hba card. I also plan to use the kapton tape method for drive incompatibility since its non destructive, fairly simple, and I dont plan on moving these drives very much if at all.

Custom: Unraid ($191.96)

Custom: Adaptec 71605He Used off ebay ($150.00)

Thoughts: This is the thing I'm shakiest about. It should have unraid support, and its great because it only takes up one x16 pcie slot, but used off ebay for a critical component is something I don't like, but everyone recommends, so I suppose Ill have to get used to that if I want to build the next nas for less than this one.

Total without drives (with taxes): $1570.62

Total: $2824.89 (with taxes)
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

For reference, my current data hoarding set is a bunch of external drives in a pool, with a backup pool of a similar size I was supposed to use for backup but never did with any reasonable frequency because it was too cumbersome. I imagine that this will have the net effect of making the backing up of other devices more frequent at the cost of being unable to back up the media stored, though as I said, I never did that with enough frequency to matter anyways.

As for media needs, I just need to read the files I suppose. I've never found any reason to transcode them, but then I've never really used other devices to consume the media anyways or shared any of it.

I also have only one used part, and that's honestly just because that's the only place I can find a 16 internal port card that people recommend. I want a reliable system that's straightforward to setup where it wont take too long to get all the parts as I'll probably be too busy soonish to put in more effort and it is the first nas Ill have built, so reliability and straightforwardness with room to expand is what I want.

Edited by NasOnABudget
power supply out of stock