Issues with VM

SPOautos

Im a very new user. I posted this in the VM section but things move slowww over there....hopefully it's okay if I post it here.....

I have a Windows 10 VM setup following the SpaceInvader guide. Installed a ISO, etc. However when I click on it and select "VNC Remote" it brings up this pane and no Windows. I have no idea what any of that is or what its about. Is there something I have setup wrong or still need to add?  I should point out that I am accessing the Unraid server from my laptop on my LAN. I was logged in to Unraid with Google Chrome and well as tried in MS Edge with same results.

image.png.1a1e602a173de07a86c1230c41a14ecb.png

Had some pirated ones before i found cheep keys on ebay. Some worked some didnt.

Try forcestop windows vm and start and connect to vnc fast and see if you get hit any key message.

Or type exit and choose boot somthing(at work so cant check the specific path). And click cdrom.

Sent fra min SM-G965F via Tapatalk

If you mean that you are trying to install a Windows VM, then you probably are not starting the VNC viewer quick enough to "press any key to start installation". 

As soon as you start the VM and you can click on the VM to get the popup menu for VNC you need to get in there and press a key... like quick.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Energen said:

If you mean that you are trying to install a Windows VM, then you probably are not starting the VNC viewer quick enough to "press any key to start installation". 

As soon as you start the VM and you can click on the VM to get the popup menu for VNC you need to get in there and press a key... like quick.

GOT IT GOING! THANKS!  I didnt realize that when I select start I need to start clicking for the drop down to select VNC remote the moment its available.  I was actually selecting start and giving it probably half a minute or so thinking it might need to go through a process or something.

Edited by SPOautos

Okay, I had the VM going, I could enter through VNC and eerything was working well, registered Windows, browsed internet....going good...

Then I started working on passing through hardware following the part 2 of the Spaceinvader videos on VM"s and now when I am in unraid and start the Windows VM, then try to open it in  Splashtop it appears that my VM is not active.

I have Splashtop setup and when I was using VNC I would pull up the VM perfectly....but once I change the GPU from VNC to my GPU I cant access through Splashtop....its like Windows doesnt bootup with the GPU selected. 

Oh also, now when I start the VM, if I am using unraid directly with a monitor for hdmi the screen goes black. So when the VM is started the only way I can look at unraid is by logging in through the lan......is that normal? I suppose because all of my GPU is being directed to the Windows VM so it cant provide video for Unraid....is that correct?

my GPU is a Radeon RX580 Strix  is that going to cause problems? I only have one graphics card installed. Is there a conflict with the GPU?

Thanks!

Edited by SPOautos
1 hour ago, Ronhj said:
1 hour ago, SPOautos said:
Do I need to add a "path to ROM BIOS file" for my RX580?

If its your only gpu then yes

I'm not a computer person and this is all brand new to me (as of last week) so please excuse the lack of understanding proper terminology.....

What is the ROM BIOS file? Is that the gpu driver that I would download? Then I can upload it to unraid and then point that VM setting to the file? OR is ROM BIOS something different from the driver? I looked on the manufacturer website and didnt see "ROM BIOS"

*UPDATE* So I downloaded the driver from Asus, but it has a setup app to run as well as a folder with drivers for display and audio...which I image you get all of that by running setup. What would I upload to Unraid? I have looked all through the download and didnt see any specific file that says "rom bios"

Edited by SPOautos

I'm not a computer person and this is all brand new to me (as of last week) so please excuse the lack of understanding proper terminology.....

What is the ROM BIOS file? Is that the gpu driver that I would download? Then I can upload it to unraid and then point that VM setting to the file? OR is ROM BIOS something different from the driver? I looked on the manufacturer website and didnt see "ROM BIOS"
You need vbios. And if i remeber right i got one from https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/ you need to find one that mathes yours.
The best woud be to make your own but then you need to find a way to dump the current vbios you have on your gpu.

Alternative if you got some old gpu and space on your mb is setting the old one as primary gpu and use the 580 for vm.

Im not so tecky ether. Just tested alot by trail and error
  • Like 1
42 minutes ago, Ronhj said:

You need vbios. And if i remeber right i got one from https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/ you need to find one that mathes yours.
The best woud be to make your own but then you need to find a way to dump the current vbios you have on your gpu.

Alternative if you got some old gpu and space on your mb is setting the old one as primary gpu and use the 580 for vm.

Im not so tecky ether. Just tested alot by trail and error

These are the ones listed for my exact video card...should I just go with the one that was made latest? https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?did=1002-67DF-1043-0519-E7

I've got not idea what all this is or how to select one....they all seem similar. 

Where should I save the file too?  When I select the drop down in the VM settings I cant select any of my shares. Is there a certain type of system folder I should put the rom bios file in?

Edited by SPOautos