Help with LSI 9207-8i Please

Hi.

I just bought this card https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0085FT2JC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When Unraid boots it shows the LSI Card. The Avago Utility tool doesn't show any drives.  I can't find the card in my BIOS unless I'[m missing it.

Card is In IT Mode - FW 20

4 Drives connected to the card are WD 4TB - Came from my Qnap.

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. - ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING

Processor:AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core @ 4 GHz

The card does show under system devices ( NOT UNDER SCSI Devices)

IOMMU group 15:[1022:43d0] 01:00.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43d0 (rev 01)

[1022:43c8] 01:00.1 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 400 Series Chipset SATA Controller (rev 01)

[1022:43c6] 01:00.2 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 400 Series Chipset PCIe Bridge (rev 01)

[1022:43c7] 02:00.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 400 Series Chipset PCIe Port (rev 01)

[1022:43c7] 02:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 400 Series Chipset PCIe Port (rev 01)

[1022:43c7] 02:06.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 400 Series Chipset PCIe Port (rev 01)

[1022:43c7] 02:07.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 400 Series Chipset PCIe Port (rev 01)

[1022:43c7] 02:09.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 400 Series Chipset PCIe Port (rev 01)

[1000:0087] 03:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS2308 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 (rev 05)

[1b21:1242] 04:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1142 USB 3.1 Host Controller

[8086:1539] 06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)

Using these cables https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B012BPLYJC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These cables were new, tried both sets.

I think this card will work, something is just out of whack somewhere.  Could it be the IOMMU groups, unassigned devices? I do have a ssd drive mounted in unassigned devices. This is the 2nd card I have bought and it is the closest I have gotten.  Green light is flashing.  These cards sure do run hot.  My case is pretty open, might have to put a fan on it.

Hopefully someone can help before I pull all my hair out, or run out of money buying cards. LOL

Thanks

Randy

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

You mean you buy 2 set from different seller and both not work ?

Disk side SATA are direct connect, no blackplane or other conversion?

If both set cable come from same seller, then it should because they send you a reverse type cable. Pls ignore “longer one", it already 1m.

Edited by Benson
24 minutes ago, Benson said:

You mean you buy 2 set from different seller and both not work ?

Disk side SATA are direct connect, no blackplane or other conversion?

Just plugging into the one port of the card and the 4 lines out to the sata drives. These are just going to be posted unassigned devices for backups. Won't be any part of the raid.

Bought both sets from the same seller.  Little long, but I have a big case that I have to run them through the back and out the other side. I will buy another set.  Any recommendations?  They were the right type of cables I assume?  Forward breakout 8087

Edited by Badboy
5 minutes ago, Benson said:

That means disk already detect and all mormal. You can add disk to array or replace array disk by new disk ( capacity expansion ).

The disks are not posting in unassigned devices.  Just want to add them to unassigned devices and create a pool. I checked out some other cables. These look like better quality https://www.amazon.ca/LiNKFOR-Breakout-SFF-8087-Multi-Lane-Internal/dp/B07XDB61V5/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=Mini+SAS+36P+SFF-8087+to+4+SATA+7Pin&qid=1599075323&sr=8-10

1 minute ago, Badboy said:

The disks are not posting in unassigned devices.  Just want to add them to unassigned devices and create a pool. I checked out some other cables. These look like better quality https://www.amazon.ca/LiNKFOR-Breakout-SFF-8087-Multi-Lane-Internal/dp/B07XDB61V5/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=Mini+SAS+36P+SFF-8087+to+4+SATA+7Pin&qid=1599075323&sr=8-10

I misunderstand it show in UD. If you confirm the 8087 plug correctly insert in socket, then I highly recommend you buy another cable.

Above cable could be try. Good luck.

1 minute ago, Benson said:

I misunderstand it show in UD. If you confirm the 8087 plug correctly insert in socket, then I highly recommend you buy another cable.

Above cable could be try. Good luck.

No problem,  going to try those cables, just seems really strange that the drives won't post.  These are cheaply made cables, read that some people have had to replace them.  I wouldn't think both of mine were bad, who knows LOL.  Thanks for the help stay safe.

22 hours ago, Benson said:

I think cable mostly made in China (even the orange one), I got many of them, just around ~5CAD. I have many different type and all no problem.

Hi Benson,  just an update - new cables doesn't make a difference.  At a lose now. Might just have to setup something external. Unraid doesn't seem to want to play nice with these cards. 

1 hour ago, Badboy said:

Hi Benson,  just an update - new cables doesn't make a difference.  At a lose now. Might just have to setup something external. Unraid doesn't seem to want to play nice with these cards. 

Here's something strange.  I have 1 sata port left on the board, so i decided to test one of the drives by plugging it in direct, stopping the array and adding the drive.  The drive won't show up.  The only one that shows is the mounted one under assigned devices. Not sure if something is shutoff or not.  I don't think so, but this could explain why the controller drives don't show.  Any ideas?

2 hours ago, Badboy said:

At a lose now. Might just have to setup something external. Unraid doesn't seem to want to play nice with these cards. 

LSI 2008 or 2308 chips HBA always recommend for Unraid, you can use internal port to connect external SATA device (short length) or external SAS expander (long length) then SATA device.

Edited by Benson
6 minutes ago, Benson said:

Pls connect this disk to LSI HBA to verify HBA and cable in working.

Sorry, let me just clarify.  I wanted to see if I could even add a disk to my current array.  I have one sata port left on the motherboard so I plugged a drive into that slot with a single cable.  After I rebooted I couldn't find the drive.  When you stop the array the unassigned window comes up to assign another drive to the array. The drive I just connected is not there.  I'm using a Blue cable instead of red, shouldn't matter.

4 minutes ago, Benson said:

LSI 2008 or 2308 chips HBA always recommend for Unraid, you can use internal port to connect external SATA device (short length) or external SAS expander (long length) then SATA device.

All I'm trying to do is connect 4 drives inside my case.  Not working too well for some reason. LOL.. Something is off somewhere. Plug the main cable into 1 of the 2 main ports, run the 4 cables to the drives and Bob's your uncle. Beginning to think it's something in Unraid this time and not the card or cables. 

Current job was verify HBA and cable in work state, so you need a disk which confirm work with onboard SATA port, then connect it to HBA to check it work or not.

But not perfer use array disk, a current UD disk or other spare/dummy disk can do this. Do you have such disk ?

Or you could disable array auto start, then connect ONE array disk to HBA to check does disk detect or not, no other setting need change in Unraid, then plug back that disk to its original port after test.

Edited by Benson
13 minutes ago, Benson said:

Current job was verify HBA and cable in work state, so you need a disk which confirm work with onboard SATA port, then connect it to HBA to check it work or not.

But not perfer use array disk, a current UD disk or other spare/dummy disk can do this. Do you have such disk ?

Or you could disable array auto start, then connect ONE array disk to HBA to check does disk detect or not, no other setting need change in Unraid, then plug back that disk to its original port after test.

I will go and try that shortly.  Good idea...Thank you.

12 hours ago, JorgeB said:

This suggests otherwise:

No, but I think it might be my 4tb WD drives.  I wiped one off, haven't had a chance to shut the server down to try it. Just going to plug it direct into my last sata slot on the board. See if unraid sees it to add it to my pool. I can't test with a current drive and the LSI card because my cables are not long enough. Have to go buy some.  The drives could explain why this card will not pick them up.  I will let you know what happens. Hopefully help someone else. By all indications this card should work,  green light flashing,  I see it in the boot up screen, Unraid sees it in the iommu. Firmware might be too new.

• 2 months later...

Did you ever solve this.  I am having a similar issue.

I have 2 cards, a LSI 9207-8e and an LSI 9207-8i (SAS2308).  I can get 1 drive to show on one card, and none on the other.

Even in bios option rom, all three of my LSI SAS cards are showing.  One is working correctly (the old 2008) but neither of the two new ones.  

I have a bunch of cables to try.  They have all been tried, with no success.  I have 6 or 8.  

Everyone always seems to just throw out the "its a reverse cable" claim.  But why does *everyone* have a reverse cable and what would you do with it anyway.  Only one side is the SAS port.  SAS -> SAS (SFF-x088- cant recall exactly what it is)

I think its notable that one drive and only one drive shows up.  Thats been consistent.

• 1 year later...