macOS Big Sur Beta 6 - unRAID 6.8.3 SMB Shares Potentially Broken

xaositek

I've been using unRAID 6.8.3 flawlessly for several months now and just a heads up with macOS Big Sur Beta 6, I cannot connect to my unRAID box via SMB.

I do not have AFP enabled, SMB has been tested with and without "Enhanced macOS interoperability" and no luck.

I wouldn't deem this to be an unRAID bug because it works with all other Operating Systems and it worked with Big Sur Beta 5 no problems.

If anyone wants to test anything, I'm pretty open to it

FYI - I have the same problem connecting to Netgear SMB shares with multiple NAS units running 6.10.3

Everything worked prior to this version of Big Sur.

I can't connect using the IP address and I can't connect using DEVICENAME.local either.

I have confirmed that other machines on my network can connect to these machines using SMB. I also turned on Mac OS Optimized mode on and off on the Netgear units to no avail.

Hope this corroborates a problem with SMB in Big Sur latest 11.0 Beta (20A5364e)

I registered here to reply to this post.

Edited by xjrguy
9 minutes ago, Pducharme said:

Is anyone was able to configure NFS in the meantime?

I haven't attempted it, not sure if Fuse is Big Sur compatible either.

I'm doing what I need to over SSH, my Drobo is still my primary NAS at the moment, unRAID is running Docker images and VMs for me.

Edited by xaositek
6 minutes ago, Pducharme said:

I wonder if there isn't an updated Samba package available that can fix this. 

I started doing some digging to file a proper bug report (side note Apple updated my ticket and there are more than 10 reports on this issue) and it appears to be a permissions or kernel problem based upon the attached screenshot.

Screen Shot on 9-3-20 at 10.42.50 PM.png

14 hours ago, Pducharme said:

I wonder if there isn't an updated Samba package available that can fix this

Just to reply, nope, I'm running a big sur vm also in a manjaro linux machine with smb enabled, updated as of today with the stable channel.

13 hours ago, Pducharme said:

If not, I suppose we can wait for Apple Big Sur Beta 7...

Better to wait for the 11.0.2 :D

Edited by ghost82

No problem, glad it helped in some way.

OT: this is the first time I'm following the beta development of a macOS system and the feeling is not so good..I mean..SMB (as an example) is quite a basic functionality, we are not talking about a bug manifesting in very particular situations..as many other bugs..

There should be also some issue with macOS big sur development, it seems they are a bit in delay with the beta releases compared to ios, tvos, etc...not sure we will see the release by the beginning of october..If I have to bet I would say the release would come out the last week of October.

Edited by ghost82
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do you still have issue with smb and big sur (beta 10)?

I'm trying to move a 700 mb file from my share to my big sur desktop and all I get is a -8084 error.

I have enough space (80+ gb) and the file is not corrupt.

I also tried to force smb protocol to 3.

Smaller files are transferred.

The same 700 mb file under Catalina transfers without issues.

3 hours ago, ghost82 said:

Do you still have issue with smb and big sur (beta 10)?

I'm trying to move a 700 mb file from my share to my big sur desktop and all I get is a -8084 error.

I have enough space (80+ gb) and the file is not corrupt.

I also tried to force smb protocol to 3.

Smaller files are transferred.

The same 700 mb file under Catalina transfers without issues.

I’ve used Beta 10 to transfer multiple 1gb (and larger) files to and from my array without issues. I’ve tested this pulling from the cache or from the array, neither has presented issues.

40 minutes ago, xaositek said:

I’ve used Beta 10 to transfer multiple 1gb (and larger) files to and from my array without issues. I’ve tested this pulling from the cache or from the array, neither has presented issues.

mmm this is weird...for me ahah :D

Can you post your smb config please?Which unraid version?

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

RC2 20B28: smb broken again?Can't see my server from mac os :(

If smb is broken again, I have really no words.......

I haven't been able to replicate your concern. I am on RC2 and have successfully connected and moved/copied files from my 6.9B30 unRAID system without problems.

• Like 1