How to check if memory is running Dual or Quad Channel mode?

Is there a terminal command I can run that will show what its doing?

Explain:

I had a 2 kit of Dual Channel Dimms in my x99 board, bought at the same time, running in Quad Mode, I had to RMA 2 of the 4 Dimms as one was bad and I bought them as 2 kits of Dual Channel. Fast forward, Kingston sent me 2 new Dimms, but they are different than the others, on paper they should be the same.

The system came back up and is running all 4 Dimms, and all is good, I was not able to verify in the Bios if they are running in Dual or Quad, and I don't see it in Unraid anywhere either.

I could pull the Unraid USB and run a Windows USB and run AIDA64 or HWINFO, but I was hoping there is a way to see that info without all that.

I searched around and found a few commands to check memory info, but non of them seemed to help with determining what Mode they were running in. (Single, Dual or Quad)

Thanks,

Donovan

Edited by donovan7
6 hours ago, donovan7 said:

Is there a terminal command I can run that will show what its doing?

Explain:

I had a 2 kit of Dual Channel Dimms in my x99 board, bought at the same time, running in Quad Mode, I had to RMA 2 of the 4 Dimms as one was bad and I bought them as 2 kits of Dual Channel. Fast forward, Kingston sent me 2 new Dimms, but they are different than the others, on paper they should be the same.

The system came back up and is running all 4 Dimms, and all is good, I was not able to verify in the Bios if they are running in Dual or Quad, and I don't see it in Unraid anywhere either.

I could pull the Unraid USB and run a Windows USB and run AIDA64 or HWINFO, but I was hoping there is a way to see that info without all that.

I searched around and found a few commands to check memory info, but non of them seemed to help with determining what Mode they were running in. (Single, Dual or Quad)

Thanks,

Donovan

Memory channel mode is handled by the motherboard and the ram slot population / position.

If you only have 4 DIMMs in total on the board, you don't have quad channel memory. You have dual channel. Quad would require 8 DIMM slots in total.

Edited by GroxyPod
Not always true
1 hour ago, GroxyPod said:

Memory channel mode is handled by the motherboard and the ram slot population / position.

If you only have 4 DIMMs in total on the board, you don't have quad channel memory. You have dual channel. Quad would require 8 DIMM slots in total.

Negative on that, 1 DIMM is Single, 2 DIMMs is Dual, 4 DIMMs is Quad.

Edited by donovan7

Right, if the 4 DIMM's are not matched with the speed and timing, they will run as Dual, so 2 sets of 2, I think that was clear in my original message.

My question: is there a Terminal Command to check the channel mode the memory is running in. Simple question.

Don't go making this something complicated, I can get my answer by booting into a Windows USB and running a number of checks to see. I just want to know if there is a command that will tell me before I drag out a monitor, mouse and keyboard to get the answer.

15 minutes ago, donovan7 said:

I used a Windows USB and Aida64 to look at mode, its running in Quad.

Still would be good to be able to see this in Terminal as well, I run this Unraid headless so its a pain to run through all this to check.

The only commands that comes to mind would be: dmidecode and lwsh -class memory

Not sure if it will give you what you're looking for, but it might point you in the right direction since you have confirmed you're in quad channel.

Edited by GroxyPod