Core i7 920 and Intel DX58SO

Hello all, 

First time back in many years.

I just built a new video editing PC and am thinking about re-purposing my ten-year-old former editing rig into a NAS with UnRaid and Plex server. It has a FIRST generation Intel Core i7 920 CPU and an Intel DX58SO motherboard. State of the art at the time I built it, but nowadays the new OFFICE machine I just built with a Ryzen 3400G doubles its Geekbench 5 scores.

Also has six SATA ports, though two of them are intended to feed the eSATA ports at the back. Can I use those for internal SATA drives?

Is this CPU and chipset suitable for Plex hardware transcoding (video card is a Zotac nVidia GTX 1650 if that makes any difference)? Or are new Celerons and Pentiums in prebuilt NAS’s from Synology, Qnap, etc., better for this sort of thing now (after all, it’s been 10 years)? Usually only need one stream at a time.

Any other things I should note? Thanks!

Edited by Robert Simandl
Added a few more details
  • 1 month later...

The newer NAS's will use far less power.  Your system is fine for transcoding if you use a 1650 (12-14 concurrent encodes with the right driver to bypass limitations), but that board is a pile of garbage and I am surprised you've had one last that long haha (I went through 3 before I demanded a refund from Intel).