PC in a Desk

kizer

I'm currently in the stages of building designing a rather large desk in my PC room/office and I would like to incorporate my unRAID build into it since I'm guessing unRAID will be part of my house for a long time. As well I have 2 other windows based machines that I use for day to day stuff. 1 is mine the other is sorta a guest machine/wifes machine.

Basically I would like to decase my Cooler Master 590, but using the same layout of it and stuff it into a desk. Has anybody else done the same or have any good ideas? I figure tomorrow at work I would fire up Google Sketchup and do a mock up or 3 and go from there.

I figured I would need the following:

Proper Cooling

Slide out Drawer to access internals

Easy access to Drives so they can be swapped out and upgraded

Anyways Ramble Ramble ;)

While this sounds like a cool project, I don't see much point.  Why not just design an opening large enough to accommodate the CM 590?

Just trying to have some fun. In the end its probably exactly what I'm going to do since my requirements would require the opening size anyways. LOL

I just saw things like this and thought man that is cool as well I found a lot that was well NOT COOL.

xyz-computer-desk_dWEfC_48.jpg

corner%20desk%20%5B640x480%5D.jpg

tie-fighter-pc-case-mod.jpg

Just trying to have some fun. In the end its probably exactly what I'm going to do since my requirements would require the opening size anyways. LOL

I just saw things like this and thought man that is cool as well I found a lot that was well NOT COOL.

tie-fighter-pc-case-mod.jpg

What is not cool about a tie-fighter?? ;D

how about an arcade game??

Paradise-Lost-Game.jpg

I found the Google Sketchup I started a while ago. This is what I was going to do first. I'm still throwing things up in the air because I want to place 3 machines.

E1JIW.jpg

Over all work space is pretty large, but I want it that way so I have plenty of area to spread out as well to allow for my wife to run her business and when my boy plays room to do all his drawing.

rTkHd.jpg

unRAID server to be under the window for no other reason than thats where its going to end up.

XTAIA.jpg

A basic under the desk shot to give you an idea

Of course there would have to be USB plugs everywhere and a few other goodies like a connection to my 26" Wall mounted monitor that I often use to watch movies aka my mini Man Cave.

Brings back memories....

I remember building a wooden box for my computer once. Basically cut the carcass out of an old PC case (and the back part of the case so all the plugs and fans were still in the right place) and screwed it to a wooden board. Then made a wooden box to go over the top. I had a small slot cut out that allowed for a trayless dvd player and wired my own power button up. Can't really remember why I did that as a desktop case would have done exactly the same job and probably would have looked better too. mine looked like a piece of black spray painted junk.

Why not try rackmounting on rails, could be neat tidy and accessable.

Josh

I have a full size rack believe it or not in my office now. LOL

I was thinking of racking mounting, but hanging high on a home made shelf would get it up and out of the way so you could stretch out your legs. Since I've had my rack in my office I can only think of a few times I actually had to pull the drawer out to service my PC.

Of course I got the full rack for free otherwise I wouldn't be wasting its potential

v3MhP.jpg

I have a full size rack believe it or not in my office now. LOL

I was thinking of racking mounting, but hanging high on a home made shelf would get it up and out of the way so you could stretch out your legs. Since I've had my rack in my office I can only think of a few times I actually had to pull the drawer out to service my PC.

Of course I got the full rack for free otherwise I wouldn't be wasting its potential

v3MhP.jpg

WOW, what is your electric bill?

Is that rack full of stuff?

Nope actually all that is in there is a single PC aka server I use for doing some surfing and downloads, Router, Switch, Wifi Router and two old School Toaster style NAS's.

n6Obu.jpg

I use hardly 1/4 of it. Tis why it must go from the house back out to the garage. I want my space back, but at the sametime I want to house 3 PC's in some kind of desk enclosure because well I'm tired of hand me down looking stuff and I want to clean up things a bit.

I like the surrounding U approach. I have one around a very large room also.

But it's also filled with gear music and computers.

Don't mind my mess. <grin>

Left (Upper right corner is my mini unRAID Server)

6s3r55.jpg

Center  (On the other side of the electronic drums are keyboards and where I work)

Under the desk in the right is my first 9 drive trayless unRAID Server.

k0t09l.jpg

Right where I work

oqc5dw.jpg

Behind me are the 2 88 note synths (electronic drums on the other side)

2ziae0j.jpg

View of Left from my seated position

2uid4yd.jpg

unRAID server (20 drive dust sucker) and my other servers.

30ms6fp.jpg

If you look really carefully you will see ORBS.  I know it;'s not dust. I know there are spiritual beings around me.

Looks like I captured them on camera. This is the first time I've seen this in my house.

UH, LOL

WeeboTech I don't even know where to begin on my complaining about having stuff all over my office. LOL

My reasoning for the Over sized U was so I had a large desk to work on.

To my left would be a book shelf aka laptop tinkering shelf, charging station for my wifes iPad and iTouch

To my right which is a wider surface space would be for working on machines opposed to throwing down cardboard on the ground and trying to be all anti-static  ;D

Man I'm almost speachless and don't know what to even say seeing how much stuff you have in that room. LOL

UH, LOL

WeeboTech I don't even know where to begin on my complaining about having stuff all over my office. LOL

My reasoning for the Over sized U was so I had a large desk to work on.

To my left would be a book shelf aka laptop tinkering shelf, charging station for my wifes iPad and iTouch

To my right which is a wider surface space would be for working on machines opposed to throwing down cardboard on the ground and trying to be all anti-static  ;D

Man I'm almost speachless and don't know what to even say seeing how much stuff you have in that room. LOL

I've always been surrounded by computers and electronics. From the early days of high school working in a computer room.

Since I'm a music buff (you have not seen the other wall with thousands of CD's on shelves), musician and computer geek, it's all gotta go somewhere.

Fact is the inverted U works well for me.

It's pretty funny when I have a couple people over for lan parties or jamming. But it works.

For a building desk, I have a rolling TV cart that comes out from under the desk with an anti-static mat.

I don't build nearly as many computers as I used to. In fact I'm dumping about 5 of them (still have 7, and a few laptops).

These days, I prefer ITX and laptops unless it's a large unraid server with many disks.

In regarding the build with the desk and the window, consider that any computer near the window is subject to the elements.

I.E. Rapid changes in temperature, humidity, dust, etc, etc. Unless you have an exhaust fan.

It's a concern for me because I live near the beach. our area may be different. Just thought I would bring it up.

• Like 1
  • 9 years later...
On 1/19/2011 at 7:40 AM, WeeboTech said:

I've always been surrounded by computers and electronics. From the early days of high school working in a computer room.

Since I'm a music buff (you have not seen the other wall with thousands of CD's on shelves), musician and computer geek, it's all gotta go somewhere.

Fact is the inverted U works well for me.

It's pretty funny when I have a couple people over for lan parties or jamming. But it works.

For a building desk, I have a rolling TV cart that comes out from under the desk with an anti-static mat.

I don't build nearly as many computers as I used to. In fact I'm dumping about 5 of them (still have 7, and a few laptops).

These days, I prefer ITX and laptops unless it's a large unraid server with many disks.

In regarding the build with the desk and the window, consider that any computer near the window is subject to the elements.

I.E. Rapid changes in temperature, humidity, dust, etc, etc. Unless you have an exhaust fan.

It's a concern for me because I live near the beach. our area may be different. Just thought I would bring it up.

Do you happen to record your own music using Waves plugins by any chance?